Slide- guitar made out of old parts

HaWE

Tele-Meister
Inspired by some youtube-videos I wanted to build a slide guitar in the style of a cigarbox - or oilcan-guitar.
I had installed a replacement neck on my old japanese strat,so I already had the old neck from that strat to use it for the upcoming slide guitar.
Unforntunately I did not have a cigarbox or an empty oilcan... so I decided to build a simple kind of "body" out of wood.
I took a plank made of pine and shaped two identical pieces. Then in one of these planks I made cut outs for the neckheel, the pickup and the electronics.After that I glued the two pieces together.
After installing the neck I looked in my shelf for some metal parts to build the bridge, the pickguard and the controllplate.
I had some left over aluminium parts for the bridge and I made the pickguard out of a metall tray.
Had an old unused single coil pu,also a pot and an input jack, so I had to buy no extra parts.
I
1654285750483.png

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
Inspired by some youtube-videos I wanted to build a slide guitar in the style of a cigarbox - or oilcan-guitar.
I had installed a replacement neck on my old japanese strat,so I already had the old neck from that strat to use it for the upcoming slide guitar.
Unforntunately I did not have a cigarbox or an empty oilcan... so I decided to build a simple kind of "body" out of wood.
I took a plank made of pine and shaped two identical pieces. Then in one of these planks I made cut outs for the neckheel, the pickup and the electronics.After that I glued the two pieces together.
After installing the neck I looked in my shelf for some metal parts to build the bridge, the pickguard and the controllplate.
I had some left over aluminium parts for the bridge and I made the pickguard out of a metall tray.
Had an old unused single coil pu,also a pot and an input jack, so I had to buy no extra parts.
I View attachment 990363
THATS the way you do it!
Excellent job.

IMHO - You may wish to do some cutaway action on the Body to reach the higher Frets.

~ST

Reactions: BB

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
That is cool! Play lap style: no cutaway needed then.

Will there be sound clips for us to check out?

What tuning do you play in?

HaWE

Tele-Meister
That is cool! Play lap style: no cutaway needed then.

Will there be sound clips for us to check out?

What tuning do you play in?
Yes,I play it either as a lapsteel or as a normal guitar with a strap.
I tune it in open G.
Unfortunately I dont have time to do some sound clips ( too many others things waiting to be done ...) , maybe I will do it later.

Last edited:

HaWE

Tele-Meister
This is also a good idea, I like the result. But I did not had a Tele to chop....and I do not know if I would be able to saw a Telebody .....
In my case I just had the idea to do something with the neck, so I looked for things that I could use to create a simple kind of guitar.I did not want to spend much money, so I took what I had - the old plank, some pieces of aluminium and metal plus some old guitar parts I had lying around.So this guitar did not cost me anything.