1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Slide guitar advice requested.

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by jazztele, Sep 7, 2020.

1. jazztele

jazztele Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Stopping back in to report progress.

Ordered a few more slides the other day, as they come in I'll try em out...but i think it's going to be more about practice, as it always is!

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  2. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

There is a guy out of Australia who created a guitar tuition program called planetalk.

He plays fantastic slide in standard tuning. He even has a short brass pinky slide for sale.

I bought both programs.

I went the opposite direction. High action, 20 gauge strings and big fat gobs of glass custom ordered by my wife from a glass blower.

I did find a quartz crystal tube manufacturer in Phoenix. We started talking about finance and he was kind enough to give me 3 slides.

Light and amazing.

3. jazztele

jazztele Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yeah, the quest to find the fattest light slide I can begins...

These are .011s, which I could easily go to .012s or .013s (I have a .014 high E on my archtop) but I want to see if I can keep this as playable as it is now sans slide and slide on it too...might be asking a lot, but I think there's a "happy medium" in here somewhere. I like to be able to bend strings on my teles, particularly the 3rd string.

4. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

With practice this is certainly achievable. I play in standard tuning with my two guitars set up the same, with slide or without. I had a good teacher.

5. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

Kirk Lorange, mentioned earlier

Newbcaster likes this.
  6. Mr. Neutron

Mr. Neutron Tele-Meister

I found a local wine store that would let me go in and look at the necks on different brands of wine. I'd buy what I felt I needed in a bottle to get a good slide out of it, regardless of what type of wine it was. I'd drink the wine, then make a slide out of the neck of the bottle.

Eventually, they found out why I was picky about the bottle rather than the wine, and began saving bottles for me. Empty bottles, regretfully, but free ones.......

Geez Louise, I've tried probably a dozen different types of materials over the years, and found that the fit of a slide, the different weights of materials, and the length are as important as anything. To me, the material a slide is made of is kinda like the wine I've drank I mentioned above. I only care that it allows me to play.

George Thorogood does good with Home Depot 3/4" copper water pipe. This has kinda become my favorite slide because it allows me to easily play with different lengths, notches for my joints, and such. It won't break if dropped. I actually like the way it sounds, so for me, it's "win-win".

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  7. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Nice! Looks like you have a pretty good handle on it already!

But it'll take you a lot more than three days to decide what slides you like.

I generally like 'em short and wide, because it let's the finger in it relax. ut that's not necessarily what you'll like.

I get old medicine bottles at junk shops and antique shops. I have a socket from a ratchet wrench set that's huge fun. (Actually, a friend recently told me it's a spark plug puller.) Bought it at a junk shop for two and change. And I've broken a few necks off wine bottles. (Some folks use glass cutters for that.)

Danny Gatton used to use a full beer bottle. Foam would fly everywhere — a real crowd pleaser.

One of my favorite slides is a little piece of steel pipe a friend found when he was digging in his garden. Spent a lot of time scraping off years of encrustication and smoothing out the inside edges, but it was worth it.

Different materials and sizes sound good on different guitars. I have a short, squat medicine bottle I love using on my roundneck dobro, and the one that came out of the garden is great on my flattop. I have a longer, narrower medicine bottle I picked up for two bucks at a flea market that I like for playing electric.

Or I'll just grab any of 'em and fool around with it. They're all interchangeable and full of surprises.

Anyhow, don't try locking yourself into ceramic versus brass versus steel versus glass versus artichoke rigatoni. They can all sound good, depending on the guitar and the song. You'll find that you can adjust your style to fit what you're doing and what you're doing it with.

Likewise, try it on different fingers. What makes sense today might well seem silly tomorrow. I favor pinky, but that's after years of experimenting. Which isn't to say pinky is best. It's just best for me.

This is good:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    stinkey likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.