Slick SL51 vs Tagima TW55 vs Artist TC59

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Stewtech, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Stewtech

Stewtech TDPRI Member

I have heard great things about Slicks and Artist but they aren’t in stock and the Tagima is on Reverb. Just wondering is waiting is worth it? Should I just go with a Squire... if so Why?

2. Stewtech

Stewtech TDPRI Member

Bump

3. Gfurman

Gfurman TDPRI Member

For what it's worth, here's my recent experience with Slick.

I purchased a Slick Tele about 6 weeks ago. They weren't in stock and one day the sea foam green became available. Once I purchased it, they were no longer available. Perhaps it was a return?

I liked the guitar and especially the feel of the neck. And I would have kept it but the nut slot on the G string was cut too low and was buzzing off the 1st fret. So I was forced to return it. This is where things got weird and unfortunate.

They refunded me for the guitar but not the shipping to and from, even though the nut was defective. In fact, after numerous attempts to speak to a manager, they accused me of cutting the nut slot myself because they would never ship a guitar in that condition. I was amazed at their arrogance and how they treated me.

They won't speak to anyone on the phone (there is no published number) and their customer support hides behind email. When I wanted to submit a formal request to have my case reviewed by someone higher up the food chain, they didn't reply any longer. They ignored my emails.

So there's essentially nothing I could do. I don't need the $50 but it's a shame to be treated that way. I'm not a kid I'm 58 years old.

fenderchamp likes this.
  4. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sadly, I have been on both sides of this GFS treatment. I've experienced the GFS ghosting regarding a pickup years ago and more recently they refunded a purchase I made where I had to point out 2 pretty big separate issues I found, the 2nd being unusable/unfixable/unsellable. I wrote a carefully worded email with more images the 2nd time & got a short response with a shipping label.

GFS is batting a touch over .500. Unfortunate to hear it's not just me, but this has been going on with them as long as I've been prowling forums it seems.

5. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted

I did a setup on a slick, les paul JR looking thing. The neck was straight, I needed to shim it quite a bit because the bridge geometry was a bit strange, but after that it played great and sounded good too.

Now why you would return a guitar because the the nut was a cut a little low?? I dunno. Most cheap guitars can use a little TLC before they are good to go, and I think if once you are aware of that, if you don't want to deal with that, you should pay a little extra and buy a guitar locally from a place with a repair shop and a tech and a setup warranty.

If you are able to evaluate and set up a guitar yourself, then you should be comfortable with buying cheapo guitars on the internets.

I liked the slick, but I would only buy one, knowing that it was a super cheap guitar and probably is going to need tweaking.

If you want a guitar you are sure is good to go, buy7 a little higher up on the food chain, or buy locally.

bender66 likes this.
  6. Gfurman

Gfurman TDPRI Member

I can do some basic set up, but with one nut slot cut too low there isn't much I can do to fix that except replace the nut. It's not like neck relief or saddle height that can be adjusted, or even a high fret that needs filed down. And I wasn't gonna pay $100 or more to have a new nut installed on a $200 guitar. I guess that's why.

I get that cheap guitars aren't gonna be perfect, but they should at least ship with a good nut. Too high is fine cuz they can be lowered. In any event, I don't think I should have been treated that way by being falsely accused. That's not how you win new business.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.