1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Slick (Guitar Fetish) Guitars...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by darren7, Apr 16, 2019.

1. darren7

darren7 Tele-Holic

I went down a clickhole this morning, and ended up watching a video review of a Slick SL50 guitar from Guitar Fetish.

They're Chinese-made, but have some pretty decent specs... 3-piece ash bodies, maple neck, maple or rosewood fretboard, thin finish, quality all-brass hardware... for $209 (rosewood) or $219 (maple).

Anybody here tried one? They seem like a really ridiculous value, given the top-notch GFS Slick pickups and hardware.

[​IMG]
    Their single-hum Strat-style looks really cool, available with the same wraparound bridge, or a vintage-style trem with a big brass block and brass saddles:

[​IMG]

I'm seriously intrigued.

The Angry Possum likes this.
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I would have acquired one of the teles, except I read that you basically have to remove the bridge to restring them

Bob Mc likes this.
  3. darren7

darren7 Tele-Holic

Yeah, a recessed wraparound bridge seems like a questionable choice. I'd almost be inclined to carve "claw" channels in front of and behind the bridge to facilitate string changes. Heck, it's a cheap guitar with a distressed finish, so what's a few more (deliberate and functional) gouges?

4. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

I've ordered lots of stuff from G.F.S. that I was impressed with for the price. Bridges, tuners, pickups.....etc.

The thing I was least impressed with was a P-bass body which while pretty was pretty much garbage. Specs were all wrong.

One thing I would worry about is how the neck would stand up over time.

The lack of resale value is another concern. It might be really cool, but if it isn't it's going to be tough to unload.

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. darren7

darren7 Tele-Holic

For the price, I would just play it until it falls apart. Talking about resale value on a $200 guitar seems like an odd argument against it.

6. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

7. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

8. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Holic

I had one of those single p-90 melody maker/lp jr looking ones for a little while. Couldn’t get the action low without lots of buzz, the neck felt kinda unfinished and odd, and the thing weighed a ton. I didn’t hang on to it for very long. That said, the pickups were great, so much so that I ordered some gfs slick brand humbuckers for another guitar and enjoyed them quite well. Good pickups but the actual guitars seem like they can be a bit of a gamble.

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

That's the kind of guitar I like to let sit out on my couch as a decoy for my kids. That way, they knock it over instead of something expensive.

My current guitar in that role is an epiphone LP special - which is a pretty decent player after a little bit of work to the frets, fingerboard and nut.

I had a video suggestion this morning to watch a Phil McKnight vid (probably the one above, didn't click on either) and always get a chuckle out of the "golly-ghee, nice fender copy for $200". there's always one every couple of months (weeks?). There's no reason a chinese or indonesian manufacturer can't make a good stable tele copy with decent components for $220 retail.

What's the worst that can happen - some neck twist? If they twist with the down side toward you, that's not really even that bad playing.

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I owned one several years ago.....couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Like the blonde you posted, only mine was "kinda" TV Yellow. HORRIBLE neck....coulda used the fret ends as a hacksaw. Very "head heavy" due to the large tuners. Blowtorch mentioned the disadvantages of the bridge. Pickups didn't sound AWFUL, but almost any guitar I get I'm changing to BootStrap Pickups anyway. The overall impression of the Slick was, it's just a "clunker". I like GuitarFetish in general (although their shipping prices will kill 'ya) but the Slick guitars are a "fail" in my book.

darren7 likes this.
  11. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Ditto - they get to a price level where it gets hard to justify shipping on a used one.

I have made money on guitars I've resold, and I've lost as much as.....$1800? A playable guitar for $200 is like a good pair of shoes. Use it until you don't want to use it.

12. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Holic

FWIW, I'm not entirely sure that these are put together from GFS parts, so I don't know that a comparison would be very beneficial. I've always been pleased with the stuff I've gotten from them, with the exception of volume/tone pots, almost zero taper, pretty much an on/off switch disguised as a knob.

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

According to guitar forums, this only happens with expensive Gibsons.

14. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

I have an SL-54, similar to the guitar above but mine is hardtail. I've only changed the strings once and to be honest I can't remember if there were problems with loading the strings, but I don't think so. For some reason they used a gibson style for the bridge, but because of the neck angle, had to rout a cavity for the bridge to make it line up.

At first I liked the pickup but changed my mind and put a hot pickup in it's place. It was an experiment that I tried and I was skeptical because it was a ten dollar ceramic Artec, but jeez the thing sounds great.I also replaced the volume pot with a Mojo vintage taper pot.

Another thing, and I hope I can explain it: The feel of the guitar is real stiff with regards to hand vibrato and and bends. I took it to a good guitar shop for a setup and a bone nut, but the action was still too high. Went back and had them lower it again, still feeling weird. Finally had a level and crown to make it as good as can be. Still stiff tension wise. I asked around and got a few opinions, mostly the response was that the stiffness was due to the sharp bend of the headstock and the wacky mounting style of the bridge.

I'm going to keep it for a while. I haven't been playing a lot and my chops are weak, it may just be me. We'll see.
    CF0C4BE4-2997-443C-AA7E-4CBF38260E7C.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    drmordo, tce63 and nojazzhere like this.
  15. Treadplatedual

Treadplatedual Tele-Holic

There are a lot of decent Chinese guitars in that range, but I watched Phil's vid and was surprised he liked it so much.

tce63 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.