Sleeping

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
For years, I slept 4-6 hours a night and drove hard all day. When I remarried, my wife told me that rest was important. We get 7-8 hours of sleep (I generally sleep like a log) and in the last 6-8 months, I take a little nap (maybe 15-20) when I get home from work. Amazing how much I bounce back with that!

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
I just read a Stephen king book called insomnia. Bad things started to happen to the man in the book when he started getting less than 4 hrs , so I’m really trying to stay above that… in my partying days ,
Sometimes I would get no sleep. Once or twice a week . I’m glad that’s behind me now . I try to get 7-8

marc2211

Tele-Afflicted
I really struggle with sleep overall.

When I was younger I needed 5-6 hours a night or so, but with time this generally went to me needing about 7-8 hours to be fully funtional.

Since my mid 20's I've suffered from insomnia - either I can't fall asleep until very late (2-3am), or I fall asleep ok, then wake at 3 or 4am and can't sleep again. Not ideal as my kids start school at 8am and I start work around the same time.

I was diagnosed with severe sleep Apnea last year and I actually find things better, and sleep better with the CPAP mask, much against expectations - but I still struggle with sleep patterns.

Things are made worse by the fact that I work away from my wife and kids for ~10 days each 2 weeks (10 days away at work, long weekend home) - when I'm away I usually catch up on sleep for the first few days then really struggle again. Things are made much much worse by work stress etc.

I don't drink much at all and don't take sleeping medication, but my doctor gave me 'the world's worst antihistimime' which knocks me out when I am going through a rough patch. I now and again have a small Jim Beam night cap, but this must be only once or twice a month.

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
It surprises me when people think everyone should be “like them”
I generally get 6, wish I could get 7 or 8. I’m kinda hoping as I get older I’ll ’need’ less, but I’m guessing it’s more like you can get less.
My final comment - In the morning I feel like I can get comfortable in any position but when I lay down I flip and flop forever. I sure wish I could fix that!
i'm pretty sure the fix is coming

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
only work prevents me from sleep. 12 hours is ideal. the dreamland is often more interesting than the waking land.

my last dream was showing my coworker my 15 minute disco masterwork replete with pipe organ and gospel vamp for a d-list fashion model to sing.

i'd rather not have to go to the bathroom ever again than not have to sleep.

Last edited:

ZackyDog

Friend of Leo's
I read somewhere once that Paul Allen, Co-founder of Microsoft (RIP), in the early days he wouldn't get more than a couple hours sleep a night for years and years. He was a big fan of Hendrix and when he'd get home, usually in the wee hours of the morning, he'd sit down with his strat and amp and listen/play to JH in an effort to wind down. Likewise, I read a quote from Bill Gates who said once "Everyone has 24 hours in a day. It's all in how you use that time is what counts."

He was also the founder of The Experience Music Project/EMP Museum in Seattle:

Hendrix Exhibit
1642544568495.png

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
I need 7 hours a night. I mostly get that, and sometimes a bit more.

I have no trouble falling asleep, but can struggle to go back to sleep if I'm disturbed in the first hour.

We were woken by a 5.8 magnitude quake last week at 11.50, I'd been asleep for about 35 minutes. Took me a while to nod off again. Mrs. R and the cat also woke up, but they were asleep again in seconds.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
I’m retired with a wife and two dogs in bed with me. Tiberias is a 41 lb Wheaten. Give her a shove and she moves over. Jacques is 16. He wakes up and needs to be taken to the wee pad, then downstairs for a drink, and then to his downstairs blanket. He can’t climb into a dog bed anymore. Tiberias follows us down if she wants a walk. Sleep? Sleep is discontinuous at best. I went back to bed at 6:45 this morning and slept until 9:45. My wife wanted to know why I can’t get up. I didn’t even get to sleep until 1:30 because of her incessant snoring. She doesn’t have sleep apnea and she doesn’t snore. Just ask her. I could scream but if I do that she starts screaming that I woke her up and even worse won’t stop complaining. Sleep? You’re kidding me, right?
1642548568021.png

I looked at the album title and the thought crossed my mind. Could this be the solution to my sleeping problems.

raito

Poster Extraordinaire
When I was younger, I needed less sleep if I went to bed at 4am than if I did at midnight.

MisterZ

Tele-Afflicted
I got my Fitbit to use as a pedometer, but I love the sleep stats best. This screen is one of the first things I look at after the coffee kicks in.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220118-192111.png
    Screenshot_20220118-192111.png
    343.5 KB · Views: 14

guitarsophist

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Try doing an internet search on "Sleep Cleans the Brain." Apparently, when you are really asleep, the brain starts flushing out waste. If you don't sleep, no cleaning, so you have waste buildup, which leads to bad things down the road. The original research was published in Science magazine in 2013. “These findings have significant implications for treating ‘dirty brain’ disease like Alzheimer’s,” said Maiken Nedergaard, one of the study’s authors. “Understanding precisely how and when the brain activates the glymphatic system and clears waste is a critical first step in efforts to potentially modulate this system and make it work more efficiently.”

Of course, the study involves mouse brains. Humans might be different. But I like to get my sleep. And as someone above said, the dream world is often more interesting than the "real" one.

Cpb2020

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I went for 15 years doing 4.5 hours/night.

Since then I’ve needed much more, 6-7. I finally figured it out. The 4.5 hours/night was uninterrupted. Now I wake up after 2 hours and have trouble getting back to sleep for whatever reason.

I far preferred the restful 4.5 hours to the interrupted 6-7.

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
If I can get 6 hours undisturbed I’m golden. Usually I don’t get that.
When I wake up I’m usually awake. I don’t need caffeine to get going.

Bones

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I wonder if since most of the respondents are male, if the ones that wake up a lot (aside from bladder relief) are doing so because they are the "man of the house" and they are periodically waking to make sure everything is OK? Possibly without even knowing that's why they are waking?

Alex_C

Tele-Afflicted
The modern people mentioned are all unhealthy/out of shape. Low sleep wreaks havoc on the body.
I need 7 to 8hrs a night to feel well rested. I can get by with 6 for a night or two but I like a little more. My wife needs about an hour less than I do. We do work out pretty much everyday, so that is part of needing enough sleep.