Sleeping

Tele-friend

Tele-Afflicted
Here is an translation about famous people's sleeping from a newspapers article:
"Voltaire slept 4 hours a day and drank 40 cups of coffee a day to keep him awake. Leonardo da Vinci was awake for 4 hours and after that period took a nap for 20 minutes, then repeated the process.
Winston Churchill took a 2 hour nap each afternoon after he drank some dilluted whiskey.
Donald Trump needs 3 hours of sleeping per night, Mozart needed 4 hours.
Most bizzare was Salvador Dali. He slept seated with some keys in his hand. Underneath was some kind of metal plate and when he dropped the keys, the sound woke him up."

I try to sleep at least 7 hours and a half during the week and a bit more during weekend.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I read somewhere once that Paul Allen, Co-founder of Microsoft (RIP), in the early days he wouldn't get more than a couple hours sleep a night for years and years. He was a big fan of Hendrix and when he'd get home, usually in the wee hours of the morning, he'd sit down with his strat and amp and listen/play to JH in an effort to wind down. Likewise, I read a quote from Bill Gates who said once "Everyone has 24 hours in a day. It's all in how you use that time is what counts."

Bones

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I can get by on 4 and can't go for more than 8. It's all pretty much the same to me. Whatever time that I wake up, I'm AWAKE, never understood the sleepyheads that can't get it together for an hour or so after they wake up.

Manual Slim

Friend of Leo's
I can get by on 4 and can't go for more than 8. It's all pretty much the same to me. Whatever time that I wake up, I'm AWAKE, never understood the sleepyheads that can't get it together for an hour or so after they wake up.
Yup. When this new schedule started here I was trying to go back to bed if I thought he woke me up "too early" but that didn't last long.

Tommy Biggs

Friend of Leo's
It surprises me when people think everyone should be “like them”
I generally get 6, wish I could get 7 or 8. I’m kinda hoping as I get older I’ll ’need’ less, but I’m guessing it’s more like you can get less.
My final comment - In the morning I feel like I can get comfortable in any position but when I lay down I flip and flop forever. I sure wish I could fix that!

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
My fitbit say I average 9 hours but am awake 2 times and am restless 3 times. That's with a CPAP machine. I dream so I know I'm getting rest. When I was young and wrote applications software for a living I went several days at a time without sleep trying to make deadlines. Glad that went away in my late 30's as did the smoking and excessive caffeine intake.

Greg70

Tele-Holic
I recall reading somewhere that Einstein got at least 8 hours every night.

I need at least 6.5 to be fully functional but 7 is better during the week. I'll try to get 8.5 on weekends. If I get less than 6 I have a weird thing where I sneeze a lot for the first couple of hours that I'm awake.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
I’m retired with a wife and two dogs in bed with me. Tiberias is a 41 lb Wheaten. Give her a shove and she moves over. Jacques is 16. He wakes up and needs to be taken to the wee pad, then downstairs for a drink, and then to his downstairs blanket. He can’t climb into a dog bed anymore. Tiberias follows us down if she wants a walk. Sleep? Sleep is discontinuous at best. I went back to bed at 6:45 this morning and slept until 9:45. My wife wanted to know why I can’t get up. I didn’t even get to sleep until 1:30 because of her incessant snoring. She doesn’t have sleep apnea and she doesn’t snore. Just ask her. I could scream but if I do that she starts screaming that I woke her up and even worse won’t stop screaming. Sleep? You’re kidding me, right?

Edit: Last night was worse.

Last edited:

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
I've always been a light or poor sleeper but need it.

I'm aware of how we (Homo sapiens) used to sleep differently and believe that can be effective. Long ago I had to work different shifts, travelled much, and was a truck driver. Finishing college was in that truck driving bit. A nap would do wonders to maintain life and my brain. It sort of took the unusual shifts and log book to realize that.

I'll plug the Bill Bryson Body book for this topic. If anyone knows his great style, he does it on the body including sleep or maybe put better on how much we don't know about it.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
Here is an translation about famous people's sleeping from a newspapers article:
"Voltaire slept 4 hours a day and drank 40 cups of coffee a day to keep him awake. Leonardo da Vinci was awake for 4 hours and after that period took a nap for 20 minutes, then repeated the process.
Winston Churchill took a 2 hour nap each afternoon after he drank some dilluted whiskey.
Donald Trump needs 3 hours of sleeping per night, Mozart needed 4 hours.
Most bizzare was Salvador Dali. He slept seated with some keys in his hand. Underneath was some kind of metal plate and when he dropped the keys, the sound woke him up."

I try to sleep at least 7 hours and a half during the week and a bit more during weekend.
the sound woke him up so that he could use his dreams and remember them as inspiration. Not sure if it was dali, i thought it was some writter.

edit A few years ago, when i could sleep ok, getting to bed was the best part of the day. I read for 45 minutes, more if the book was good, and could get 10 hours. When i was really tired from partying, 12 hours.

Nowadays, well. Not so much.

bluesfordan

Friend of Leo's
for me, it's not so much how much sleep I get but when I get it. For some reason, my diurnal cycle is to bed around 2 or 3 AM and up 830-10 AM. What's a sunrise? I dunno. I also take 2 or 3 naps a day, mostly because of my cat. He wants to cuddle on the bed and next thing I know, I'm asleep. But sometimes I just plain need to go horizontal for a while, 20-30 minutes. Often on the couch but right now the living room (north end of the house) is the coldest room so I'm not doing much napping there.

voskarp

Tele-Holic
Not sure if a single ice cube counts as a diluted drink. ;)

"Winston Churchill took a 2 hour nap each afternoon after he drank some dilluted whiskey."

Churchill said: "Never drink whisky without water and never drink water without whisky."

I like whisky, but I like sleep more. I try to sleep as much as possible; 7-8 hours a day.