Sleep Apnea

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Wyzsard, Sep 29, 2014.

1. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

NO .
    Auto-setting .
    They run at a minimal setting like an auto on idle , increase the pressure only when needed and return to the low/base setting when there is no obstruction .
    I cannot tolerate a fixed pressure machine .
    I currently am using an Auto-setting DeVilbiss IntelliPAP CPAP with heater/humidifier .
    Your doctor may not know the difference , many don't .
    When I was at the sleep study , they hooked me up with fixed pressure and I could not exhale .
    I told them " no way " . They kept the pressure low until I fell asleep and turned it up after entering sleep . When I awoke , I felt blown up like a balloon and worse than I ever had when awaking . All this after I was promised the best night of sleep that I had ever experienced .
    The one thing that you should never feel is the sensation of suffocating unless you are trying to relate being unable to exhale easily .
    With an Auto-setting CPAP , that is over forever .
    Your insurance carrier may only want to authorize an Auto-setting CPAP for diagnosis . That is pure crap . I have no insurance and was able to navigate myself through all of the crap .
    Keep in mind that most of the people that you are sealing with have been trained to do certain things and have very limited understanding of how to think outside of the box .
    I ran up against this hard . The people that provided my first CPAP refused to provide an Auto-setting CPAP to me because of the insurance diagnosis code thing until I explained to them that none of it applies to me and that I am telling them what I want .
    I never turned back and hold nothing against them because they are simply following their training and keeping their jobs .
    If your provider will not provide you with an Auto-setting CPAP , you can purchase one on the internet as long as you can provide them with a copy of your prescription .
    If they refuse to give you a copy of your prescription as mine did , go to your doctor and your doctor will write you a new prescription . My doctor did this for free to my pleasant surprise when I walked in to set up an appointment .
    My current CPAP cost me $465.00 .
    One reason that providers don't want you to purchase your machine is that if they provide it , they will be receiving rent for the machine until you die or stop using them . In other words , it never actually is paid for and provides them with a permanent income stream . It is to their advantage to keep you on the hook . Over time , that machine will be paid for hundreds of times over the original cost to them .

2. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Just FWIW, it might be worth talking with your doctor about lifestyle changes that might lessen your symptoms. My CPAP has been in my closet since I lost 50 pounds and stopped drinking. My girlfriend says I hardly even snore now.

3. Option1

Option1 Tele-Meister

Sorry, but that's just flat out wrong.

Oxygen will have next to no effect on sleep apnea which is essentially the airway collapsing and choking you, this causes you to wake (an arousal of 10 seconds or so - often not even noticed by the patient). Waking 20, 30, 60 times an hour all night long is probably the major part of the damage that sleep apnea inflicts - it's a strain on the body, and the heart.

The oxygen desaturations caused by sleep apnea are secondary to the airway collapsing. Supplemental oxygen will NOT do what a CPAP machine does. CPAP provides sufficient pressure to effectively splint the airway open, preventing the collapse, and thus preventing the arousals.

I'm not blaming you for believing the supplemental O2 helps sleep apnea because it's sadly a poor piece of medicine being hawked by some very old-fashioned, very out-of-touch respiratory therapists.

In your case it doesn't sound like you have sleep apnea per se, but instead a secondary effect from your neuropathy, which would make sense as to why supplemental O2 helps in your case, and why CPAP may not.

It's a complex field.

Neil

4. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Fair enough. I'm not a doctor. Right, as I said, my apnea is not the concern. It's the neuropathy. And oxygen is what I need, not cpap.

But... before we knew that... while my pulmonologist (who is not old-fashioned and out of touch, BTW) wanted me to do cpap, he also said that oxygen for apnea is a whole lot better than nothing. He mentioned the same things you do, that it doesn't address the damage from airway collapse.

Oxygen may be for those who have tried, and just cannot tolerate cpap. Don't avoid the conversation with your doc because you can't take the mask.

5. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Had one for over 15 years. I've had three different machines, all fixed pressure, set when I did the sleep studies. The latest machine ramps up. My problem has always been the masks and I tried them all. I finally devised my own mod, which uses a nose and mouth mask, custom made cap and a different exhaust from another type of mask. It is quieter, doesn't leak and I bought enough of them to last me. I recommend you have a travel machine and they now make small ones that will work while on a trip and are easy to pack or carry on. One other option is the humidifier, which for some heats water and keeps you from drying out. There are sites where you can get software to read your information on the latest machines and you can get the service manuals to program the machines. I've had three different brands. I like the Respironics PR System One REMstar Plus CPAP Machine and I have the HDM Z1 Smallest CPAP Machine for travel.

6. Veebus52

Veebus52 Tele-Meister

Sleep apnea is serious. This month marks the 6th aniversary of my step son's death from a sleep apnea induced heart attack. He was a young man, only 40, very fit as he was a fire chief. It happened when he laid down to take a nap. A terrible waste.

7. Slidedude

Slidedude Tele-Holic

Been using a CPAP for quite a few years. I wake up with my wife still in bed with me instead of going to the guest room to be able to sleep, blood pressure went down, I have more energy during the day, and I'm not worried about having some sort of attack at night that could kill me. Apnea is a serious condition.

"I never take a nappy unless I use my cee pappy"

8. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Had a sleep study and was diagnosed with apnea about 5 years ago. Love my CPAP - can't sleep without it.

9. tfsails

tfsails Friend of Leo's

I cannot add anything that hasn't already been said here. I've had my machine for almost 3 years now and it's made a huge difference in my life.

More people than you know have it and are using CPAP machines. Nothing to be ashamed of!

10. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

Best way to get rid of it permanently is exercise.

11. otterhound

This is NOT TRUE .
    Please refrain from spewing this type of wrong information . People's lives are in the balance .

12. Big John

Big John RIP

Had mine about 3 years now and it's certainly a 'game changer' !!
    Yes, it might be a little awkward to start with but persevere, it's worth it, as has been stated, apnea can be linked to all manner of other illnesses so don't dismiss it too easily.
    I use mine to help with my COPD and for me it's the difference between having a life during the day or being a 'shut in' tied to an O2 concentrator.

13. The Bone

The Bone Friend of Leo's

My name is Tony and I have sleep apnea. I tried the machine and it was a miserable failure. The problem, for me personally, was that the HMO made me use the machine for only 5 nights in order for the correct settings to be determined. I basically couldn't sleep at all with it for the first three nights, so I didn't get a good reading. So they wanted me to take another trial. 5 days. The trial period should be longer and they should start you on a very low pressure. I'm not a doctor, but this is my opinion. I say start off slow and increase the pressure as you can handle it. It is very difficult to get absolutely zero sleep just to do a test for the pressure setting.

I don't want to be one to spout misinformation, but I personally believe nobody has ever died as a result of using a CPAP machine. You shouldn't need a prescription to get one and there should be clear instructions on how to set it. Just my $.02.

14. Slidedude

Slidedude Tele-Holic

Hey Tony

Maybe try the nose pillows instead of the mask?

Most machines have the ability to ramp up the pressure gradually. I'm usually asleep long before my machine hits the target pressure.

Some folks take to the use of a CPAP quickly, some have difficulty at first.

Trust me when I tell you that it is worth it.

15. otterhound

You have been mistreated my friend .
    Diagnosis should be done with an Auto-setting CPAP . This type of machine will read your patterns and provide more accurate parameters .
    Please return to your HMO and demand that they provide for an Auto-setting machine because you will find that it will eliminate exactly what you have described as the problem .
    You will also want/demand an Auto-setting machine for your continued treatment afterward .
    PLEASE CONSIDER THIS and be relentless with your HMO .
    If your HMO refuses to cooperate , go to your physician for a copy of your prescription and purchase an Auto-setting machine on the internet . Return too your HMO with the fixed pressure machine and assure them that they will be hearing from your attorney considering a medical malpractice lawsuit . This will get their attention .
    Keep in mind that they likely are only following what they have been trained in and have no real understanding of what you are experiencing .
    If all else fails , I will send you my spare machine to try and to prove to you that it will answer your issues .
    Sleep well and let me know how this unfolds because I truly do care .
    You are spot on about not needing a prescription for a CPAP . The need of a prescription for one is purely a racket and should be abolished .
    Oh yes , the trial period should be 30 days at the minimum to establish parameters .
    There is so much bad info out there .

16. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Easy test...if you snore when sleeping sitting up, you have it.
    There are a FEW who will have it even when skinny, but most of us who have it need to lose weight.

17. otterhound

There are three types of sleep apnea .
    Obstructive is the type that most are familiar with . A physical blockage of the airway .
    Central is rare and has no physical causation . Purely neurological .
    Mixed is very rare and is the combination of both types .
    Is is being learned that while weight/body fat is a factor , sleep apnea can occur with all body types . I am living proof of this . The old stereotypes are just that .

18. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Such as de-myelinated diaphram nerves. It's still "physical", as in, not "in your head". Central is not driven by a mechanical process.

19. 5595bassman

5595bassman Tele-Holic

That is exactly the same for me.
    And it did not took more than 1 week to get used to it because it made me feel so much better in a very short time.
    I have the variable pressure type with a nose mask only and humidifier.

I went on fishing trip for a week and I could not use it because there was no electricity on that camp during night ( outfitter's generator on use only on daytime ).

Came back so exausted of what was supposed to be a relaxing week!!!!

20. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Wow, thanks for all the replies and input. Wasn't expecting this many.

Seems to be more positive feedback than not.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.