Slade

buddyboy

Tele-Meister
Somehow, in 1979 or 1980 or so, I found out about them. I can't remember how because they were no where to be seen or heard in the metro NYC area at that time. I bought a few of their albums from the used records stores in my town. I loved them!

This is one of my faves. I think it was a B-side to one of their singles released in Britain.

fishermike

Tele-Meister
Timing is everything. I saw Slade open for Ozzy back in the early '80s. Unfortunately for them, it was just before their one decent U.S. hit came out. Also unfortunately for them, they were opening for Ozzy.

They were booed pretty earnestly, and somebody bonked the violin/fiddle player in the head with a roll of toilet paper in the middle of a solo. Felt bad for him, but it was pretty funny, if I'm being honest. Not a lot of electric violin love in the Ozzy crowd.

Years later, I heard a disc jockey telling the same story on the air when I was home visiting my folks. He had pretty much the same recollection.

FWIW, Ozzy sucked that night, too. Only played an hour and fifteen minutes, which was the shortest headliner I'd ever seen at that time.

HoodieMcFoodie

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I have 3 of their LPs, so not too bad for a Yank.:cool:

View attachment 924874

Do yourself a favour and track down a copy of Slade Alive!

Slade_Alive.jpg

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
They had a reputation as a great live band when they were playing the clubs.

From the Alive! album (1972) - Noddy at full throttle:

Yep. I saw them in the back room of a pub in Walsall, a few months before their first hit. I'd never heard of them but a friend of mine had been raving about a gig he'd been at......
My recollection is that they were ridiculously, dangerously, stupidly, incredibly LOUD. Even by the deranged standards of the time, when most venues were small, P.A. systems were crude and every Brummy band wanted to ride the Zeppelin/Sabbath coat tails to stardom.

My head is aching, just thinking about it. Many, many gigs were over-amplified, back then- but Slade stand out, in my memory.:lol::eek::oops::D:cool:

ScottJPatrick

Friend of Leo's
@Flaneur. I saw them at the other end of their career in about 1983(?) playing Donnington on the same bill as Blackfoot, Blue Oyster Cult, Whitesnake and AC/DC who were headlining. Everybody in the crowd knew every word, great show. 1st album I ever bought was Slayed, cost about 2 shillings I seem to remember!

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
@Flaneur. I saw them at the other end of their career in about 1983(?) playing Donnington on the same bill as Blackfoot, Blue Oyster Cult, Whitesnake and AC/DC who were headlining. Everybody in the crowd knew every word, great show. 1st album I ever bought was Slayed, cost about 2 shillings I seem to remember!
Some of those bands liked to crank the volume....but I bet Slade were the loudest! :lol::D:lol: