1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Skyscapers of the Prairie.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 68Telebass, Oct 18, 2014.

1. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

Grain elevator in Adrian, Texas (north panhandle).

2. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1413675439.322632.jpg

3. tfsails

tfsails Friend of Leo's

North Dakota had a lot of them when I was stationed up there in the '70s.

4. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

They made bigger ones. No doubt a site to see on any trip.

5. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

That looks a lot like the one in Dove Creek, Colorado. Are you sure you're not lost? ;)

6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Driving along in an automobile seeing sights, (sites?) like that is fun. If you happen to find yourself putting actual footprints on those rural roads especially in Texas hoping to get a ride anywhere, it's not nearly as scenic.

I enjoy looking at that sort of thing riding in my car on my way to Arkansas, but man, that brought back memories of pounding shoe leather, looking up and down a deserted highway and wondering which direction I oughta head, away from where I came from, or on in the direction I was going. When Dwight says he ain't that lonely yet, he oughta try Texas, he will be.

PS:

I pounded shoe leather on that stretch of road long before the 40 was ever thought of. The old 66, man what a long S.O.B that was when you were hitchin'.

7. rwsand

rwsand Tele-Afflicted

My wonderful step brother took me cross country (east to west coast) when I was 10 and again at 12. Camped and saw many grain elevators and slept beside a few. Very important memories to me. Thank you.

8. Tele Convert

Tele Convert Tele-Holic

I grew up in a town of 400 in central IL. The biggest thing in town was the grain elevator. My parents still live there, but since I left it has quadrupled in size. I wish I had a cool looking sunset pic of the thing. But this it'll have to do for conveying the magnitude of this operation.
    A farmer friend of mine farms around 9,000 acres and they use 3 of the bins by themselves.

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1413683507.827152.jpg

9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

The Texas I remember from yesteryear. Vividly.

Attached Files:

10. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

When driving across country several times there have been times when I felt completely different about life as I know it living on the coast. When descending from the Rockies onto the plains I first see buffalo and then cattle. Then it is on to the grain states.

The things that stick in my mind are important. When going across the flatland I can see for miles to the left and right of me on the highway. The things I see many of are grain silos and church steeples sticking up above the clump of trees in a small town.

I don't know about you but it gives me a certain reverence to know that there are people farming and congregating. It is a wonderful sight.

11. Westerly Sunn

Westerly Sunn Poster Extraordinaire

There are 2 grain elevators within a couple of miles of my house. I got to check out the analog relay computer in one of them as it was installed. That one was initially built in the 70's and has been modernized a couple of times. It is HUGE.

There were 2 old time feed mills within .5 - 1 mile of my house. One of them remains and is still in operation

12. Bush Wiebe

Bush Wiebe Tele-Meister

My hometown of Niverville, Manitoba had the first grain elevator in western Canada. I grew up in it's shadow (I guess it was the second one by that time, the first one was destroyed) and I married a girl who lived right by the tracks. Lots of memories of those old elevators. I love the prairies.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.