Skunk stripe sunk in

Jasonyeah

TDPRI Member
A small section of the skunk stripe on a 90s Jazz Bass I have has sunk in (or been pushed in) about 1/16th of an inch. Any tips on repairing this? The wood on either side of the skunk strike is fine, the stripe just dips in in one spot.

Here's a couple of pics.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 92CB82FC-4FB1-4314-B619-9F55CB0ECCA3.jpeg
    92CB82FC-4FB1-4314-B619-9F55CB0ECCA3.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 115
  • BA65859A-64C1-4F9D-BF52-49971FF09DAF.jpeg
    BA65859A-64C1-4F9D-BF52-49971FF09DAF.jpeg
    75.8 KB · Views: 117

Telecaster582

Tele-Afflicted
I'm not a pro, but people have taken dings out of the neck with a heat gun or something, that may work. How'd that even happen in the first place?

TeleTucson

Friend of Leo's
Wow, that's tough repair. Even if you can remove the truss rod and manage to push it back out from within, or drill and pull it back out from the outside, that doesn't give you a means to glue it solidly in place. You might be able to add a shim as a filler from the outside and sand, stain, and refinish, but to do it right you probably would need to rout that out and put in a new skunk stripe. No fun.

dogmeat

Friend of Leo's
I would maybe try compressed air. take off the tensioner nut & blow down the hole. if you can get it back up, wick some thin superglue in it. if that doesn't work I'd try a spot repair, like drill a small hole in the stripe & use a wire hook to pull it up, then plug the hole

VicUA

TDPRI Member
Hi,
You can drill a small diameter hole for a thin but long enough screw on middle of the . Then screw in the screw as far as possible. Put a loop of wire over the head of the screw. Raise the skunk stripe to the same level with the surface of the neck or slightly higher and fix. Then pour glue 501 from the syringe and let dry. The remaining hole is easy to plug.

VicUA

TDPRI Member
I would maybe try compressed air. take off the tensioner nut & blow down the hole. if you can get it back up, wick some thin superglue in it. if that doesn't work I'd try a spot repair, like drill a small hole in the stripe & use a wire hook to pull it up, then plug the hole
Oh... you were the first! )

Volcanicash01

TDPRI Member
A small section of the skunk stripe on a 90s Jazz Bass I have has sunk in (or been pushed in) about 1/16th of an inch. Any tips on repairing this? The wood on either side of the skunk strike is fine, the stripe just dips in in one spot.

Here's a couple of pics.

Thank you.
Does it really affect your playing ability? If not, I would leave it be.

somebodyelseuk

Tele-Holic
Wow, that's tough repair. Even if you can remove the truss rod and manage to push it back out from within, or drill and pull it back out from the outside, that doesn't give you a means to glue it solidly in place. You might be able to add a shim as a filler from the outside and sand, stain, and refinish, but to do it right you probably would need to rout that out and put in a new skunk stripe. No fun.
I'm intrigued as to how you get the rod out without removing the 'skunk stripe'.
'If it were me', and it bothered me, I'd get the stripe pulled, replaced and refinished.

Slowman

TDPRI Member

Here's a couple of pics.

Thank you.
If it was mine I would fill it with super glue a layer at a time then scrape it with razor blades to make it flush again then finish it off with #0000 steel wool .

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Not sure what happened - picked it up used like this (it was cheap).
Odd - never seen that before. Is it loose in that area? By that I mean, does it move when you poosh it?
Easiest fix would be to fill it with Solarez epoxy or something of that ilk. Would look very strange, but I am not sure the "screw and lift" technique would mangle the stripe or not.

Last edited:

pfaust

TDPRI Member
If it was mine I would fill it with super glue a layer at a time then scrape it with razor blades to make it flush again then finish it off with #0000 steel wool .
I tend to agree here as this is the least invasive way to go but I generally use sand paper in like 800 up to 2000 or 3000 Grit then some rubbing compound to finish it. I don”t use steel wool just in case some gets near the magnets in the pickups. But either way is that dip impacting the truss movement?

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
I would probably use fairly thick CA at first to keep it from wicking into your truss rod cavity. GluBoost would be another CA type filler. But I would lean toward epoxy as mentioned above. Z-poxy and Solarez are good.

Jasonyeah

TDPRI Member
Thanks for these suggestions. It does move when you push it in, the glue has failed in that one spot. If I can get the stripe to pull up, how should I approach re-gluing it? What glue should I use and how would you apply it? If it's tough to pull up, Would clamping both sides of the loose portion of the skunk strip down, then using a heat gun (or steam) to help coax the pushed-in portion up be a bad idea?

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Thanks for these suggestions. It does move when you push it in, the glue has failed in that one spot. If I can get the stripe to pull up, how should I approach re-gluing it? What glue should I use and how would you apply it? If it's tough to pull up, Would clamping both sides of the loose portion of the skunk strip down, then using a heat gun (or steam) to help coax the pushed-in portion up be a bad idea?
At this point, I would think steam would only make things worse. Keep in mind, what likely caused the problem is the stripe swelling to begin with. It could swell up, or in your case, down. But now the stripe is a skosh too long. I don't see it as flattening out easily - and staying there. A proper fix would likely entail replacing it and refinishing the back of the neck.

Jasonyeah

TDPRI Member
At this point, I would think steam would only make things worse. Keep in mind, what likely caused the problem is the stripe swelling to begin with. It could swell up, or in your case, down. But now the stripe is a skosh too long. I don't see it as flattening out easily - and staying there. A proper fix would likely entail replacing it and refinishing the back of the neck.
Hmm, good point about the stripe now being a bit long. It makes sense that if it expanded length-wise that it could bend in where the glue was weak.

mdpatsr

TDPRI Member
Have you tried adjusting the truss rod to see if there’s a way to push it out? If so, try to push it out some, so that you have a glue surface.
Then try to glue it in place.