1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Skunk stripe separation

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RU Experienced, Jan 18, 2021.

1. RU Experienced

RU Experienced TDPRI Member

Any thoughts on this? Not my axe. It's for sale and just wondering how big an issue it is.

Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 3.36.18 PM.png

2. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

Looks like it was glued with snot. Avoid.

3. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

I'd want to scrape all the flaking finish off to see whats under there. is the stripe cracked away from the neck? kinda looks that way. fixable but it will take some work

4. BFcaster

BFcaster Tele-Meister

Looks like there was a gap and someone used elmer's carpenter's (yellow) glue to fill it. It probably is not an issue structurally, as there is the fretboard to add stability, but I'd seriously think about NOT buying this guitar.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  5. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

I had that too after I had accidentally dropped the guitar. I guess the blow temporarily moved or separated the walnut and maple along the skunk stripe. It showed a 10" lacquer crack just as the guitar in your pic. I fixed the lacquer damage and after that I never had any problems again.

6. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I think it can be repaired but I would want a considerable discount. Normally a glued joint is stronger than the wood itself but I see no wood damage.

7. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You can get this if the skunk stripe fits too tightly into the neck route. The glue scrapes off as you push it down. The little bit of glue and lacquer will hold it until the truss rod applies too much pressure or it takes a fall. In the past, I habe had marginal luck fixing these. If it were mine, I'd replace the neck.

8. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

The skunk stripe has come partially unglued, and pushed out, taking finish with it. The truss rod does not apply pressure to the skunk stripe, so if you don't mind playing on it, it's usable. But for pricing purposes, that neck has no value. The guitar should be priced as if it was a loaded body only, without a neck.

9. RU Experienced

RU Experienced TDPRI Member

Its' a 2002 American standard. Asking $575. I'm okay with "some issues", but not looking for problems down the line.

SheldonP likes this.
  10. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

You can sand it down, along with the neck:D:cry: but your efforts it will turn out awesome;):):):):):)

11. Hobs

Hobs Tele-Meister

If you want a learning experience in guitar repair, that is one. It can be fixed, but may take quite a bit of work, and possibly an investment in tools. If you just want a guitar to play, keep looking.

12. EsquireOK

Isn't that normally about a $600 to $700 guitar? That's what average American Standards of that era sold for on the local used market for many years. I can't see them creeping up too much beyond that now.

Whatever its worth without a problem like that, cut it in half.

13. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

American standards are now $900 to as much as $1700. I would say the average price is about $1200. Used prices are silly at present.

SheldonP likes this.
  14. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

It's fixable, but it requires getting the glue into the joint, clamping it properly, leveling the repaired area, and at least a partial refinish on the neck. It's a lot of work, but if you're handy and can work patiently and carefully, you can do it.

However, I would make sure the truss rod works before I buy it.

15. SheldonP

SheldonP Tele-Meister

$900-1200 is about what I'm seeing regionally as well. If the body and electronics are in super nice/minty 9/10 condition, $575 would be the high end of what I'd pay for it. I'd be way more interested @$450-500. Disclaimer; I've probably done a couple dozen similar skunk stripe repairs in the last 3 decades with good results. For someone with no experience who'd have to take it to a shop or chance a first time repair attempt, that would be a hard pass at that price.

16. EsquireOK

That is just silly to me. There's nothing remarkable, desirable, or collectible about mildly old American Standards that should be causing them to outpace inflation. They are solid workhorse guitars, but they just aren't all that cool, and they were made by the bazillions. I guess I can see $800 for a very clean one, online, where you're paying for purchase protection, the buyer's fees on his/her selling platform, etc.

To my thinking, that's a $400 guitar as is...and I would turn around and sell the neck at a $1 starting bid with no reserve, then invest the proceeds into a "better" neck.

17. Dano-caster

Dano-caster Tele-Meister

I would just keep looking man. Plenty of other fish in that sea...Price range...

18. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

It isn't just the American Standard guitars. Pretty much anything related to music is priced too high–amps, effects, guitars, etc. Guitar prices are not based on inflation in general but whatever the seller deems the market will allow. Even Klon pedals are going for $4k-$6k. It is NUTS!

19. EsquireOK

Seems at odds with what I have noticed. I have been cleaning up in the past few years. GREAT deals on KILLER stuff. Rare '80s G&Ls in near mint condition for peanuts. Vintage Fender stuff that I thought I'd never be able to afford. Brand new Fender and Squier stuff, hooked up with great deals at Sweetwater. Sellers on Reverb very willing to hear me out on negotiations. People unloading cheap on Craig's List. Asking prices might be being pushed, but it doesn't seem to me like the actual selling prices are. I'm sure it varies by product, but I've thought of it as a buyer's market in recent years, and especially during the viral outbreak.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.