1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Skunk stripe problem

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by yamlayukni, Dec 30, 2020.

1. yamlayukni

yamlayukni TDPRI Member

So, I got a used Fender/Roland GC-1 Stratocaster few days ago, which is basically standard Mexican Stratocaster with built-in Roland GK-3 pickup.
    According to the serial number the guitar was manufactured somewhere around 2012 or early 2013.
    The guitar sounds great and clearly close or even on the same level as few other American/Japanese Stratocasters that I own.

But there is a problem - I noticed that I can feel the skunk stripe.
    When I touch it I can feel the horizontal seam between the neck itself (maple) and the skunk stripe (walnut?) only on one side (the side that you see from the top when you play on the guitar normally) from approximately 2nd to 8th frets, but it's hard to see it visually.
    On the other Stratocasters that I have the skunk stripe is very smooth and on the same level as rest of the neck so it doesn't feel different from the rest of the neck.

I tried to press it, but I can't feel that it moves so it seems like it's some kind of finish problem maybe? Though when looking from certain angle it's sticking out a bit (maybe less than 1mm).
    When I play the guitar it's kind of annoying but I think that it's something that I can get used to.

From what I read on the Internet, some people say that it's normal on some necks but it's strange that I never encountered it so far.

My question is, how ****ed I am?
    Is it something that I should worry about or can I leave it as is?

I'm attaching some pictures of the relevant area.

Thanks.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

2. cenz

cenz Tele-Meister

I wouldn’t worry. My 2013 MIM Tele exhibits the same quirk. I don’t notice it anymore unless I go looking for it.

3. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

You can just leave it.
    If it's really slight, these guitars have quite a thick finish, and the step might be within the limits of the finish... meaning, you might be able to sand it smooth and only level the finish, never getting down to wood.
    If you're not real hands on with this stuff, you couldn't mess anything up with about 20-30 seconds of light sanding with some 600 paper.

4. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

It's not uncommon. Probably just different swelling or contracting of the two different woods. You can just leave it , or if you dont like the feel , you'll have to sand it a bit and refin as necessary.
    I've had 2 Roland Strats and they can be fun. I got tired of dealing with the floor unit etc over time though.
    One sound that is killer is the Hammond B3 sound, huge and full, much better than any organ pedal I've heard.

mfguitar likes this.
  5. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve never noticed it but I’ve probably owned 5-6 fender guitars. Most of them lasted a year or less and were gone.

6. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I don't think that is uncommon. I would play as is for a while to see if you can get used to it. If not a refinish will be in order or a new neck.

7. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Holic

I have a USA 57 reissue neck with the same the issue. It’s fairly common.

8. yamlayukni

yamlayukni TDPRI Member

Thank you guys for all the replies.
    I think that I'll leave it as is as I'm afraid to sand it.
    As long as this is not some serious issue I think that I can live with it - the tone of this guitar is very good.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.