Skreddy Rover (Tone Bender mkII-inspired)

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by D_Malone, Sep 21, 2021.

1. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

I love Skreddy pedals, and the Rover is a real gem.

For those not familiar, Marc Ahlfs’ fuzz pedals are tweaked versions of classic circuits, and they’re all great.

The Rover will do everything from mild crunch to saturated, and it cleans up a bit with the guitar volume, much more so than a Tone Bender mkII.

Into a loud amp on the edge of breakup this thing is a blast to play through. Just sounds and feels so good.

Between the ‘range’ and ‘wool’ controls there are a lot of shades of awesome. I could see myself using two of these, and I just may do that.

2. 19sixty3

19sixty3 Tele-Meister

The Rover Fuzz is downright intoxicating - I use it for leads and wherever a rich fuzz sound fits. The Rover Fuzz is without a doubt one of the best Tone Bender II variants!

I still have a Throbak Stone Bender; also a Tone Bender MK II variant. The Stone Bender is based on germanium transistors. Also a great pedal, but a completely different animal.

The Rover does the Tone Bender thing for great Zep and Yardbirds sounds, also roll off the volume and get some beautiful overdrive.

Unreal great sounding pedal.

14271834-483E-4EF2-9387-64E3A1233489.jpeg C17C605B-CFEE-4E56-B47A-F8F0185A660A.jpeg

CV Jee Beez, snottyboy and D_Malone like this.
  3. snottyboy

snottyboy Tele-Meister

This one has been on my list to try for a long time. One day, perhaps! Thanks for the user experiences.

D_Malone and 19sixty3 like this.
  4. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Afflicted

I gotta check one out. I had a Lunar Module twice and a a BC139. They were every cool.

D_Malone and 19sixty3 like this.
  5. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

The Lunar Module Mini Deluxe is my favorite dirt pedal. I’ve got two on my board, one for low/medium gain OD, the other for saturated fuzz.

Compared to the LMMD the Rover is a bit scooped and it has a lot of sizzle. The Rover can also be a lot more compressed, in a good way. I prefer the Rover into a slightly dirty amp or OD pedal to smooth it out, whereas the LMMD works well with a clean or dirty amp. It’s definitely more versatile.

If I had to choose between the two I’d pick the LMMD. But, they’re both great pedals for different reasons.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    CV Jee Beez likes this.
  6. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Poster Extraordinaire

Never limit yourself to 1 fuzz.

7. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

No danger of that. I’ve got a decent collection, but I try to keep my board as simple as possible. I’m not much of a tap dancer. ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.