Skin cancer PSA.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Jun 24, 2021.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Please remember to be vigilant and protect yourselves.

After 10+ years without more malignant tumors I'm back waiting for a biopsy. So far I've been lucky with only one of a few malignant tumors getting farther and that worked out so far. Still, it's all a big nuisance that can be much worse.

Now we're in an era where one just doesn't have to have the risks associated with my growing up so be careful.

drf64, TeleTex82, Fendereedo and 10 others like this.
  2. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

Hoping all works out good for you
    thanks

3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Yup, I have gone over a year without the skin doctor check up. Thanks for reminding me.

4. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

With it I got a scolding on overdue for a physical and colonoscopy.

Colonoscopy bothers me a lot more. I was freaked out with first cancer diagnosis and when part of my ear was cut out about 20 years ago but I have a hard time finishing colonoscopy prep and just hate it.

Steve Holt and Obsessed like this.
  5. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've been fortunate with the skin, although for as long as I can remember, I've sought out shade. The scope, on the other hand, is a necessary evil due to family history and results of previous examinations. I went 5 years before the last one and was told, in no uncertain terms, that the next one should be in 3 years. Getting old sucks but it beats the alternative.

mojek, irie, imwjl and 1 other person like this.
  6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Yup, I am on the waiting list for a colonoscopy. It was cancelled twice last year. Our local root-rooter guy is in the big city helping out on the backlog there.

7. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Poster Extraordinaire

I hate colonoscopies. But they’re better than the alternative. I just barely missed cancer, thanks to a good primary care doc who asked the right questions about my symptoms. I was statistically too young for a ‘regular’ colonoscopy. Forever grateful my doctor ignored that and ordered one. That was 8 years ago. I get them every few years now. Most recent a few weeks ago. It sucks. But cancer is far worse.

I don’t leave the house with plans to be outside for any extended period of time without sunscreen. I was a child of the 70s/80s in coastal SoCAL. Fortunately my mother had the foresight to slather sunscreen (SPF 10 was the screen then) on me as I was fair skinned. Everyone else used suntan oil. Remember that stuff? I felt embarrassed that I burned instead of tanned easily like all my friends. Now I’m just grateful my mom knew what the score was. Clearly others didn’t.

drlucky, mojek and Digital Larry like this.
  8. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

In person up close my face looks like I lost a duel with Inigo Montoya. Lots of basal cell spots removed over the years.

9. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Just lathered up with sunscreen out here in NM!

I found a brand called Coola which seems pretty good. It's not the chemical based like most but a micro sized zinc oxide. Goes on white but can barely be seen when rubbed in/on. Seems to last quite a while. When I take a shower at night it shows up white again!

I have vitiligo so gotta keep those white sections protected as they will burn like a ginger Irishman!

imwjl likes this.
  10. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

I started going to the dermatologist once a year in my late 30s. I'm fair skinned, freckled, and of Irish ancestry, and my father has had recurring basal cell carcinomas over the years.

Our skin is our largest organ, and yet so many of us take it for granted!

11. guitar_paul1

guitar_paul1 Tele-Meister

My Dad died of colon cancer and my Mom died of skin cancer. Both of them right about the age I am now. Needless to say, I stay on those checks.
    Highly recommended.

mojek and telepraise like this.
  12. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

Had my 2nd colonoscopy a year ago, one polyp so next is only 4 years out this time. Colon cancer is largely preventable but once it spreads, it's too late.

Growing up in an era when sunscreen hadn't been invented yet and living in FL for 35 yrs, I'm very careful about sun exposure. Big wide brimmed straw hat anytime I'm out. Prayers for a good report on your biopsy. TP

13. Happy Enchilada

Happy Enchilada Tele-Meister

When I had hair, it was bright red like my older boy's. I am into the derm's office twice a year. He zaps me all over my head and arms with liquid nitrogen, and sometimes he calls me in for a biopsy. No malignancies we haven't licked yet, thank God.

When I was a kid, my mother told me to go out and work without a shirt to "get toughened in." I routinely had blisters all over my back. Thanks, mom.

Then there were all those years fly fishing in the Montana sunshine before the age of sunscreen - but always a hat (sunscreen made by Stetson). At least I have lots of memories to go with my lesions.

As for the colonoscopy - unless you have a family or personal history, they now have kits you can get from your doc that allow you to "collect a sample" and mail it in to a company that analyzes it, and if they find problems, then you go in for the full meal deal. Often reminds me there are WORSE jobs than the one I have ...

14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I hope everything goes good for you.

15. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Thanks for the PSA, imwji, and I wish you well. My GP checks me over pretty well annually and takes liquid nitrogen to a number of spots on my face each year. It’s the product of many youthful years in the sun. I do wear a Tilley when outside and apply a good sunscreen, but additional precancerous spots still pop up each year.

16. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

Twice per year I go and get inspected/sliced/diced:eek:

A lifetime in or on the water around here will do some damage. It was well worth it, though.

17. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Holic

Stage 3 Melanoma in 2010. Started as a growth on left bicep that looked like a mole. 36 lymph nodes removed from left armpit region along with a chunk of my underarm. Cancer in one of the nodes. I didn't do chemo as it was basically useless. No recurrences in 11 years, but several scares.

I'm fairly dark skinned, Mediterranean descent, and spent a lot of time in the sun in SoCal. I'm convinced it wasn't the sun that did it, but a splatter of paint remover that got on my bicep when refinishing a bike frame. Still, I'm more cautious now about being out in the sun.

You definitely want to take sun exposure seriously. Melanoma is no fun, and once you've had it you never know if/when you'll have it again.

Mowgli and Milspec like this.
  18. Smokin OP

Smokin OP Tele-Afflicted

I've already some basil cell removed & other places on my face that have been froze. I always where a wide brim hat when outdoors & any long prolonged or beach trips I add sunscreen to that. Several friends are currently going through treatment for melanoma.

Thanks for the reminder!

Mowgli and Bill Sheehan like this.
  19. Bill Sheehan

Bill Sheehan Tele-Holic

Same here, Smokin. Had a basal cell removed (Mohs surgery) from the left side of my nose a couple of years ago, which was pretty deep and required the creation of a "flap" over the site by pulling down and shifting some healthy skin from up near my nose bridge. Amazing, really. Fortunately it has healed nicely and not pestered me since. Currently healing from another one in my mustache area, and thankful that this one wasn't as extensive, and is mending well with dissolvable stitches. When I was a kid, we did everything in our power to "catch rays", with zero protection! Now, at age 68, I wear my trusty wide brimmed "Boony" hat whenever I'm out in the sun, and it does a great job of keeping my face shaded.

Mowgli and Smokin OP like this.
  20. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Coola is fantastic stuff. A friend gave me a tube a few weeks ago. It's the only sunscreen that isn't horrible, and that's high praise.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.