Skateboarders?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by strateles, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Liamf

Liamf Tele-Meister

I skated from 7 till I was 15. Moving to a school where noone in my year skated and the council redoing all the streets in my area to this horrible tarseal that you couldn't skate on contributed to me stopping. I then picked up guitar and that became my hobby. I've gotten into long boarding which is easy enough after growing up on a skateboard but i do enjoy riding my Dusters flashback aswell which is slightly wider than a skateboard but still feels like one.

2. Fred.T

Fred.T Tele-Meister

Yup, I also have a 33" Miniglider like this one on the pic. It feels much more like a skateboard...raised nose and tail

Attached Files:

3. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

skating Morocco style... ;)

I was never a huge skater, though we always had a board in the car going surfing...
    we started with wood planks and roller skate wheels, skating petrol station concrete on weekends... ones with a bit of slope going on..

I wish we had more modern boards when we were starting off.. we might have had more fun, skated better.....;)

surfing is more forgiving on the body, ..:cool:

Attached Files:

4. jc93230

jc93230 Tele-Holic

47 years old and I am still going. These days riding a longboard with some tall soft wheels. Tried the pintails and could not stand not having a kick, so riding a Santa Cruz board now with a wide kick tail.

5. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I used to watch a show that popped up on our sports channel called, Drive... not sure how long ago it was made..

about Mike V going skating in the small towns and finding groups of skaters and hearing their stories...

the music was always really good in the background.... cool show...when it came on, I would shut everything else down and watch every second... :)

6. Liamf

Liamf Tele-Meister

Nice!!! My one only has a raised tail but i still love the feel of it :)

[​IMG]

either use that one or my pintail depending on what i feel like on the day. Either are pretty stable and good for bombing some good hills

7. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

my skateboard was orange plastic back in the mid 70s

8. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Great story. My 1st real session when I moved to CA & fell back in w some skaters involved skating Flower St in OC, if you're familiar with it, while Duane Peters was there skating it hard.

Looking at my current decks I still see my Lance Mountain board from back then. I'll have to dig through my storage to see what else.

Thanks for the Netflix tip. Been looking for cool things while I'm poaching my friends account.

9. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Started in 1978 and still skate. Not as much any more, but I still skate bowls and mini ramps. I also criuse down the street with my daughters.

Skated some real vert last year, but it was just riding. I didn't attempt any tricks, except for some sliding maneuvres such as rock walks and Kiwi slides. At 14' the ramps are big and scary!

10. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

I use to play the crap out of Tony Hawk on PS1, does that count?

11. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Telefied Ad Free Member

Used to skate in my teens in the late '70s. Never good enough to do tricks or anything. Mostly on the roads. There were a few primitive skate parks starting to pop up around then. Olds Park & Gannons Park at Peakhurst. Five Dock Park was pretty good too.

I was pretty heavily into roller skating for a while also.

12. Heartworm

Heartworm NEW MEMBER!

Started at 11....
    I'm 25 and I still keep
    It going.

13. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

First stepped on steel-wheeled deck in 1973.

40 years later I can still get on and not embarrass myself.

14. Breen

Breen Friend of Leo's

I still itch to skate, even though I have not been on a board for 9 years. Conversely, been playing guitar for 10.

Best days of my life. Still lookout for the brands I admire on the skate kids wooshing about.

Don't understand the hipster-like movement for longboards here. All they do is F/S-B/S powerslide about. Whats up with that.... all day long.... really?

15. chippertheripper

chippertheripper Friend of Leo's

Long boards are the wrong boards.

I'll still go cruise a bowl if I can, but I'm not out shredding regularly.
    I keep myself pretty busy training for dirty bike racing, so that eats up most of my personal "screw off time".

16. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

My first skateboard was a metal wheel street skate, split apart, and nailed to a 2x4. I built it. My second was a Hobie Super Surfer, 1964 or so - clay wheels, like rollerderby. Never skated again after leaving home at 18.

Attached Files:

17. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

You two are/were the guys I'd see out there skating down the street on 30" popsicles w/ 55mm 105 duro wheels w/ the trucks cranked down tight ?

Those little things are great for tricks but suck as transportation.

That's why I'd always see a bunch of flip-trick skaters walking down the street carrying their boards...:lol:

That's where longboarding came from.

Fastest, most comfortable way to get from A to B.

My favorite deck is in the middle - 36" Alva Black Caddy w/ NOS 80's Krypto Shadows.

You can do anything with it.

18. chippertheripper

chippertheripper Friend of Leo's

I don't keep my trucks all that tight...thunder, of course.

19. Breen

Breen Friend of Leo's

No was a 31.5" 8" on Indys. Tight cause I was a fat big rugby player and I thought being tighter meant I could have more "control" :D

Had a Rick McCrank Girl and then saved up for a Black Label and it felt great till a bus went over it... Broke a truck from the same bus and was so sad, then a friend spotted me one, and I was grateful and happy.

My last board is still around, a Zorlac blank with "JR Cash RIP" scratched out 'tween my regular legs on the tape.

Only when the 5-O was near~

But they don't bomb hills or cruise around, they seem to sit down under a bridge, push out, powerslide, use hands to recover, repeat. I know the couple of true legends and when I spot them would give them a shout, but the kids who powerslide. I dunno. Not had a chat with them yet.

20. Breen

Breen Friend of Leo's

Awesome story. Thanks for sharing! Always knew Cast was the quintessential totally unassuming 'uncle' that now runs a 'washing machine and woodwork' business but is actually the coolest guy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.