sjohnbruton's Former Challenge Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by sjohnbruton, Mar 14, 2012.

1. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

O.k. - Here goes nothin...

I've been lurking here for long enough. Time to make some sawdust. While I have no illusions of winning, I am glad for the well timed motivation provided by the Challenge. I most likely would just continue planning (procrastinating) my first future build if it not for this opportunity.

I'm looking forward to putting all the great info available on the TDPRI to some (hopefully) good use.

2. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

I hear ya. I'm kind of in the same boat. This challenge got me to clean up my shop & finish the walls. I think I won already. My plan is just to build a guitar I want and watch all the other threads. Best of luck to you.

3. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

Not much progress yet, but I'm getting ready. "Proof of Life" photos coming soon.

Since I am using this Challenge as motivation to begin building real guitars, I have some prep work to do.

Things to Do:
    1. Clean out shop space and set up for woodworking.
    2. Finish gathering supplies for build.
    3. Complete my body and neck templates.
    4. Build a router/ planer jig.
    5. Make a fretboard radius jig.
    6. Make sawdust. And (hopefully) a working guitar.

Nothin to it, right?

Step 1. - "Clean out shop space and set up for woodworking."
    This one is the main reason I haven't already started making guitars. I hate cleaning. Photos to follow soonish.

4. mkhhunt

mkhhunt Tele-Meister

Good luck and welcome to the challenge.

5. Joe Sailor

Joe Sailor Tele-Afflicted

Step 7 - apply finish.
    Step 1 would be the hardest for me.
    Good luck.

6. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

Thanks. I'll need it!

Oh Yea. Step 7. I'm thinking about solid color spray can cream. And yes, Step 1 will be the hardest.

7. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

O.K. - here goes!

Steps 1 through 5 are starting to happen simultaneously. The shop cleaning process will take a while. Photos to follow.

Here are the specs of the guitar I plan to build:
    1. Either a Pine and Poplar body, or an all Poplar body - haven't decided yet, but I'm leaning toward the Pine/ Poplar just because it will lend itself better to the materials I have on hand.

2. An Oak neck with a Poplar fretboard. - I know, I know... this boarders on blasphemy with some folks, but again, it is what I have on hand.

3. Cream solid color paint finish, White pick guard, Chrome hardware (with ashtray).

4. Fender Baja Tele pickups and electronics on a Reverse control plate.

8. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

Entering the Pit of Doom.

[​IMG]

As you can see, Step 1. is no small task.

[​IMG]

This shop is attached to the back of our carport and has collected junk for the last 12 years. Right now, it is easier to move one of the cars and work in the carport than actually try to work in the shop. Sad but true.

Here is the repurposed potting bench now seeing duty as a work bench.

[​IMG]

9. SSO720

SSO720 Tele-Meister

Good luck with your build and cleaning out the shop. I've been working on that too.

10. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

The mandatory proof of start shots.

Here is my stack of Poplar boards, a 1" thick Pine table top, and various other pieces that may make an appearance in this build.

[​IMG]

The templates from Step 3 that need finishing.

[​IMG]

11. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

My unfinished neck templates and the oak board that will become a neck. Or two.

[​IMG]

A word now about the neck that will be on this build. I don't plan on using it for much more than practice. I need plenty of practice and I don't really need the neck.

You see, I have an excellent 22 fret Warmoth tele neck with abalone dots that a friend gave to me several years ago. It has been patiently waiting for a body to join with. Once this build is done, I will put the Warmoth neck on.

So, this build neck will be oak with a poplar fret board. Oh, and it won't have an adjustable truss rod. The plan is to put in an aluminum T-bar to strengthen the oak. I'm pretty sure the oak, poplar, aluminum combo will be stiff enough to last quite a while.

12. emoney

emoney Tele-Afflicted

Great start and be careful, you may find out you like the necks you build a whole lot
    better than the ones Warmoth does, lol. You probably should be looking for more body
    material for that neck, lol.

13. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

This is me using a drill mount and an 80 grit sanding drum to rough sand the contours.

[​IMG]

Here I'm pattern bit routing the straight edges with the board as a guide.

[​IMG]

And the (mostly) done neck templates.

[​IMG]

These photos are from yesterday. This afternoon, I finished sanding all the contours by hand. Sorry no photo. Ready to make a neck!

14. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

Thanks. I'm looking forward to the build. The shop is just a four plus mess.

Yeah, I've thought about that. Frankly, I have about six builds rattling around in my head right now. One at a time for now, though.

15. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

Today was Template Day. You know... the day when hand shaped 1/4 inch master templates graduate to become 3/4 inch working templates.

The collected class of 2012. I decided to go ahead and finish my LP and Strat templates while I was working on my Tele neck.

[​IMG]

Ready to rough out the working templates with my trusty OLD jig saw.

[​IMG]

Rough cut and ready for the bandsaw.

[​IMG]

16. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

After the bandsaw (sorry no pics), I attached the master templates to the rough cut working templates. On to the router table...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the router. Lookin' sharp!

[​IMG]

17. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

How do you fix this?

After using the pattern bit to rout my working templates, I have a few places like this...

[​IMG]

I'm guessing that either the master template had a minor flaw that was magnified by the pattern bit, or (more likely) my router technique needs work.

Anybody know how to fix this? I don't really want to redo the entire template from scratch. My first thought is CNA glue to fill, then sand to shape. Any thoughts?

18. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

Anyway, on with the show. Next I set up to spray the lot with clear laquer to seal the MDF.

[​IMG]

Mobile, AL is an incredibly humid environment, so in an effort to make these puppies last as long as possible, I thought to protect them a bit.

[​IMG]

That's it for today. On our next episode... Pattern sanding an oak neck blank with the Robo-Sander.

[​IMG]

19. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

You've already know how, but don't realize it. You know how you used a board with your pattern bit to make the master? Take that board (or your oak one) and clamp to the edge of this assembly slightly (very slight) offset enough to clean up that edge. You'll repair both templates at the same time ;)

Dave

20. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

That is the coolest drill press I have seen in a long time!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.