Size zero debate - How thin is too thin?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Hutchwearing6, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Hutchwearing6

Hutchwearing6 TDPRI Member

If I can get it cauled and glued I will probably try to finish the neck shaping, which I have done by hand in the end (spokeshave/facets) and the plan is to do an endpin jack drilled through to the pickup cavity and around to the control cavity.

Perhaps I can hide the worst of it with the scratchplate.

2. Hutchwearing6

I may have learned some lessons about routing, but do put me straight if you disagree:

My templates are 18mm ply- and I have template router bits at about 20mm and 50mm lengths. Ideally I'd do the whole thing on the 20mm bit in short passes, but ended up using the long bit owing to thickness of router table and a short collet. On today's evidence I'm thinking yes to shallow passes and yes to finding a collet extension if I can

crazydave911 likes this.
  3. Hutchwearing6

Bit o' titebond, many clamps, sanding drum and CONSIDERABLY MORE PATIENCE SHOWN henceforth...
    20190506_144506.jpg

Attached Files:

4. Hutchwearing6

Finally a picture showing my thinking with the neck. Accepting that looking plausible is still a long way from being playable, I expected this should be most of the neck shaping complete. Happy with the blends, mostly.

5. Hutchwearing6

Scratchplate is almost complete, and wood dye in the mail for staining the fretboard ebony. At which point, will post a mock up picture

6. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

You are correct about routing lessons: take a little at a time, don't climb cut, etc. Ron Kirn has a fantastic tutorial here on the forum somewhere on it. Keep up the good work.

7. Hutchwearing6

20190513_213636.jpg

Partial mock up, eventually. Needed quite a bit more attention on the back of the neck to get a constant thickness and work in the blends a bit better.

Ebony colour wood dye into the fretboard, having slotted it throughout. I am ever so slightly minded to try a wide drill point through the dye instead of trying to install fret markers.

Believe next job will be finishing before fretting and wiring. Thinking it's a grain filler and then an oil finish, since I mostly like the wood grain and that'll look good with the through-neck?

Steveinthesticks likes this.
  8. ppg677

ppg677 Tele-Meister

Just sandwich the 25mm wood to form 50mm?

EDIT: oops...didn't realize it was a super old post

9. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Brainy would be proud that you never gave up and are still at it, he was the King or re-fin.

10. Hutchwearing6

Three rounds of Danish oil (available and quick-drying) and one accidental stripping the dye off the fretboard and one re-application of wood dye to fretboard later...

Attached Files:

11. Hutchwearing6

Oh and frets

12. Hutchwearing6

20190528_182656.jpg

And at the point where I need to let it settle for a bit. Just in time!

13. Hutchwearing6

I'll not pretend it's a masterpiece- there are a couple of high frets at the dusty end of the fretboard that I will need to come back to at some point, but figure I may give the neck some time under tension first.

There's a little hum on the circuit - the kind that goes away when you touch the pot casing- when I play through my effects pedal and headphones. Much better through my blackstar amp. Should I worry? I've checked ground is working everywhere its expected to in the guitar, but there's no shielding to speak of.

14. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Did you ground the bridge as well?

15. Hutchwearing6

I did not. Might have confused myself but intent was to keep those away from anything that could plugged into mains.

16. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Grounding the bridge is standard practice and will solve the very issue you describe. It's just a thin piece of wire that touches the bottom of the bridge plate and is soldered to a ground connection in your electronics cavity.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.