Size zero debate - How thin is too thin?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Hutchwearing6, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Hutchwearing6

Hutchwearing6 TDPRI Member

Hello all.

I'm looking to draw on the collective wit and wisdom of TDPRIers to turn my guitar pipe dream into reality. I have big plans to try and build my son an electric guitar. Nothing too fancy, just enough to get him hooked (and give me a decent practise before I build one for myself).

We've taken out a fireplace from our lounge and so I have an unexpected supply of 25mm thick mahogany, we think. My question - how does this drive the neck joint? I'm thinking it's thick enough for a neck or for a small body. Can I get a bolt on neck to work with this (preferred given I've no experience to speak of)? The other thing I'm wondering is whether I can avoid needing a truss rod. Plan is 4 string electric, 15 inch scale (or thereabouts), and no separate fretboard if I can avoid it. Will see how I can post a sketch.

Any help much appreciated
    C

2. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

25mm is pretty thin. But with a small Scale Neck, it might just work.

3. rolloman

rolloman Tele-Holic

Thick enough for a neck. That would be a thin body. You mentions 15" scale or so. Make sure you understand the physics between how scale length, number of frets and the space between frets are all interrelated when you start planning the neck? All of that is so that the pitch will change the correct amount from fret to fret up and down the fretboard.

4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

SG's are 1-5/16 to 1-3/8" thick. If you had a neck through design, I think you could go thinner depending if you used slide switches instead of a toggle or lever. You could always use some of the wood and make a top for it.

5. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

Maybe do a neck-through design? You would probably have to use mini-pots also. Try to use stock tuners, and bridge components (don't ask how I know).

6. Hutchwearing6

In terms of the scale, the exact length will match the top N frets of a full fender scale neck. I had originally thought to string with the four bass strings off standard electric and that should pitch on the short scale about the same as the four treble strings on a standard scale, I think, with similar tensions.

I've just a single coil size humbucker with blades to try and accommodate aa non-standard string spacing. That's about 15mm (5/8") thick. I figure avoiding the need for a switch is a must for a skinny body.

Plan is to use a uke nut and I have a 4 string strat style hardtail bridge. Neck through will work geometrically if I flip the board on its side and do a 2 or 3 piece neck but might not look so good with planned stained or oiled finish all over (finishing looks really daunting otherwise)? My worry with a bolted neck joint is whether there's enough depth available to overlap - seems like I would need to thin the neck further at that point to maintain some body thickness. I suppose the other option is to thicken the body by finding a cap for it..

What's the story with pots? My sketch has one behind a scratch plate and one rear mounted thru the body. Will mini pots have a shorter threaded shank? Is there something else i've missed?

7. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

The standard thickness for a full size fender neck is around 1". Which is 25mm..... are you saying its 25mm square? Or wider?

8. Hutchwearing6

Sorry much more relevant would have been to say thanks for the responses already gathered. As said, I've a whole world of learning to do and seeing some of the builds on here is both inspiring and intimidating - makes you realise how much thought and effort needs to go into it!

9. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I have just cut some timber yesterday for an experimental neck which will only be 20mm thick but will have reinforcing rods as well as a separate fret-board glued on top for added "stiffness" which I think you would also require.

DC

10. Hutchwearing6

I can go 1" deep by probably 3 to 10" width depending which bits I carve up. Enough to do a tiny body in one hit :) well, in planform at least

11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

One piece neck/ neck through could be cool- but would leave a bridge too high with no neck angle, add a fingerboard and you might squeeze a bridge low enough or countersink a tune-o-matic low enough.

A 24" scale and a 1" thick body might make a nice kid size neck through guitar, except for the truss rod concern.
    Rout for a truss rod and cap with a fingerboard isn't all that hard.
    Even mandolin necks warp, though maybe a short scale 4 string electric would be OK with no rod.

12. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

Most neck- throughs have a 1-2 degree neck angle machined into the neck or are elevated to give clearance for the bridge. A carved top would require up to a 4 degree angle. A separate veneer or thicker fretboard would do the job without an angle.

A fender hardtail would not require much clearance to work.

13. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

I'm looking for a size zero now...anybody seen her? :lol:

14. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

No. She turned sideways and disappeared.

Funny, but I was just thinking today about how you could go about building a neck the same way airplane modelers build airplane wings, with a series of little "framelets", skinned over with a curved piece of veneer. Couldn't get past the need for a pretty heavy center frame to withstand string pull.

Rev Rhythm likes this.
  15. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Maybe some magical method of folding aluminium so that the edges of the underneath fold up inside the neck to form a stiffening rod the length of the neck and the f.b. radius and back of the neck shape all done in the same action. Hell!!! lets also incorporate the frets at the same time.

Actually have had the same musings long ago as well Rick. Perhaps an aluminium extrusion?

DC

16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well a sitar neck is basically a hollow channel with a (thick) veneer top that is actually a soundboard, where the sympathetic strings attach to the "soundboard" neck surface under the bridge like frets above.
    But it's three times the cross section of a guitar neck, so the strength is in size.

17. physicsteach

physicsteach TDPRI Member

Hmmm. Monocoque neck, carbon fiber (like a high tech bike)? Sitar-ish resonance overtones? just thinkin'...

18. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

If you had a relatively short scale guitar, you could rig up a system where the string loops back and provides some tension on the back of the neck as well as the front, reducing the amount of stiffness necessary in the neck itself. I mean, as long as we are talking crazy ideas. Then there is also the new material Boeing invented that is over 99% air but stiff as all get out.

19. Hutchwearing6

Wow it's over a year since I last posted. Have I built a guitar yet?

No chance.

But in my defence the house is looking much better than it was.

I have also printed the plans at full scale, collated much of the tooling I think I will need and got started on cutting and routing templates.

Can I run my plan by you all in case it's totally stupid?

20. Hutchwearing6

1. Template number 1 is full body, neck and headstock planform. I plan to rout this out of a single piece of 1" mantelpiece, trying to get the grain running along the neck axis

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.