Size of old fiberboard mounting screws ?

monkeybanana

Tele-Afflicted
I have a Princeton that's missing one of the mounting screws. Does anyone know what size they are? I found some at TAD but I'd like to find something closer.

HR3080-Schrauben-12er-Pack-f-vintage-Fender-FiberboardChassis-selbstschneidend-1.jpg

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Not sure, they are weird coarse threads meant to thread into a existing hole, but others will work. Take one to the hardware store and match up the shank diameter and the coarsest thread available on a self tapping sheet metal screw or other.

Home Depot (and other hardware stores like Ace) Amazon also. .... have these self tappers with similar threads. They have a drill point on them though. You can cut them, but warning... the drill tip is hardened and you will need an aggressive cutting device. Bolt cutters work.
download.jpg

Last edited:

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
They're #8. I haven't had a missing board screw, but for missing transformer or cap pan screws, I've used 8-32 swageform screws. They will form new threads and go in nice and snug.

monkeybanana

Tele-Afflicted
They're #8. I haven't had a missing board screw, but for missing transformer or cap pan screws, I've used 8-32 swageform screws. They will form new threads and go in nice and snug.

When I compared the 8s I have the threads looked different than the old screws. But good to know they will cut new threads. Never heard of swageform, looks good!

King Fan

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
I have a Princeton that's missing one of the mounting screws. Does anyone know what size they are? I found some at TAD but I'd like to find something closer.

HR3080-Schrauben-12er-Pack-f-vintage-Fender-FiberboardChassis-selbstschneidend-1.jpg
As noted, those are ‘self-tapping‘ screws. Notice the taper to the start of the thread? Probably 8/32. And yeah, different from #8 machine screws that thread into a nut.

Doug carries a nice selection of self-tapping screws, but I think they’re the short kind Fender used for mounting OTs etc. He tells you how to use 'em. Hmmm, what are those vintage part sites that seem to carry everything Fender?

https://hoffmanamps.com/MyStore/perlshop.cgi?action=template&thispage=Screws&ORDER_ID=530294936

Last edited:

monkeybanana

Tele-Afflicted
As noted, those are ‘self-tapping‘ screws. Notice the taper to the start of the thread? Probably 8/32. And yeah, different from #8 machine screws that thread into a nut.

Doug carries a nice selection of self-tapping screws, but I think they’re the short kind Fender used for mounting OTs etc. He tells you how to use 'em. Hmmm, what are those vintage part sites that seem to carry everything Fender?

https://hoffmanamps.com/MyStore/perlshop.cgi?action=template&thispage=Screws&ORDER_ID=530294936
Thanks King Fan!

I also ordered black solid core from Hoffman which I couldn’t find at the other usual places.

Here is the AA1164 I am restoring before and now. The holes were bugging me. Also found a wire under the board in parallel with a cathode resistor & bypass cap.

54ADEB39-341A-4FB8-B8AC-9EE3F357DC1F.jpeg
4C9A5655-DEDE-439D-B39C-64B41EA16A34.jpeg

And the black wire will go for an all black 5E3 build. How I feel inside:
4ECA911E-7AB8-4581-81C9-CDF0F915103A.jpeg