SixShooter head build

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by HolyTele Tube, Jan 5, 2018.

1. HolyTele Tube

HolyTele Tube TDPRI Member

Hello everyone! This is my first post here. After reading about the SixShooter on Rob Robinette's site I decided to build one for myself. I chose to build it out as a head because space in the music room is becoming a little tight. I only made a few changes:

1. I used a Fender style fuse holder that I had laying around. Not because I thought it was any better but I wanted to move the power cord to the back of the amp and the fuse holder fit the hole. Currently there is a 1 amp slo-blo fuse in there because that's what I had at the house. If I had a 3 amp available I certainly would use it. If I start blowing fuses I will go up to a stronger one.

2. I did add the master volume knob. This is a very useful addition.

I built the cab out of scraps of pine I had laying around.

I love that this little amp is pretty quiet even thought the kids still ask me to turn it down. It is almost hum free and uses cheap tubes that nobody else seems to be very interested in. It's fun to think that I can pick up NOS tubes for this little amp for about 5-7 dollars each.

The sound? I'm more of a tweed guy. This amp seems a little more aggressive. I'm kind of reminded of Green Day when I play it with my Tele. The bass is very defined and punchy in a way I really enjoy. I haven't been able to dial in that clean, just about breaking up sound that I love so well, but I learned a lot and am sure I will get plenty of use out of it.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  2. hackworth1

hackworth1 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Looks great. Nice work.

3. HolyTele Tube

Thanks! It will make a great bedroom amp. I think it is a great way to use up some of those old tubes and I truly enjoyed building it.

4. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Congrats, the amp looks great. The grid leak bias of the preamp tube makes the amp very sensitive to guitar and pickup output. Grid leak also makes the amp sensitive to tube rolling so if you can try several V1 tubes and evaluate for tone with your guitar and playing style.

More info on Dave's creation (BootHillAmps.com): https://robrobinette.com/SixShooter_Build.htm

5. HolyTele Tube

Thanks Rob! I have learned a great deal by paging through your website. I may grab some more tubes and give that a try

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.