Six saddle bridges - budget and best

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by VerySlowHand, Jul 28, 2014.

1. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

What are the two best six saddle bridges; 1) Best budget version and 2) Best-of-the-best?

The debate about whether six saddles are better than three seems to have been done - and I'm coming to the
    view that only misty-eyed romantics would favour an inherently inaccurate three saddle bridge over
    one with six saddles. (Spot the 'red rag to a bull' statement!)

That said... I'm not totally dogmatic, so if you really want to talk me out of six saddles, go ahead!:D

2. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Another kick to the hornets' nest!

3. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's

One vote for Gotoh

I am not going to try to talk anyone out of a three saddle bridge, even though they are pretty fussy to get to intonate.

I just pulled a three saddle space bridge and Bigsby off of my Baja and slapped on a Gotoh six saddle. I had previously leveled and crowned the frets, and got rid of some fret sprout. That Baja is now a real beast.

I would nominate the Gotoh as a darn good budget bridge.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  4. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

I'm not taking the bait! But if I had to use a six saddle bridge I would go for one with Strat style saddles as opposed to the hammer style saddles. They rattle incessantly and never do want to stay properly adjusted.

5. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

If you mean the little circular barrel type, I agree - from what I've read, they move around because they don't anchor well, either on to the plate or to the adjacent saddle.

6. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Well, to counter what has already been said, I have never had any issues with the six brass saddle ashtray bridges from the older G&L ASAT Classics. I have heard that in recent years they have changed their supplier, but I have no experience with those and haven't heard of issues.

Other than these, and the six-saddle heavy brass bridge that came stock on my 1982 Black & Gold Telecaster, the only other one I have tried is the Armadillo brass model with the "Keef" saddles . No problems at all with it other than it is definitely heavy. I do plan on swapping a three-saddle ashtray onto it to see if there is any big noticeable difference. I just kind of miss the bass side rim of the ashtray and being able to adjust the saddle height for a handrest/palm muting combo that I'm used to.

7. kbee

kbee TDPRI Member

I like the Hipshot stainless 6 saddle bridge that came on my JW Van T-Style.
    I would say it is more on the 'best' side of the question.

Hipshot Bridge Link

-kb

8. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

9. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

10. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

this one... off an '83 Tele... I am biased though..:D

beautiful bridge under palm....:D

Attached Files:

11. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

12. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

Thanks guys.

I like the look of Hipshot, but no dims on their website for the Telecaster plate. Same with that Armadillo Andy Summers one... looks super nice, but where's the info? (I've emailed Armadillo for a diagram.)

If I don't get the info from Armadillo, I'll go with Gotoh. They do provide diagrams of their bridges; my low E D and G strings break close to the plate fixing screws, so I need an elongated plate (Gotoh = c.101mm), so that the saddles will be set back far enough to allow the same break points.

Someone mentioned a preference for steel over brass. I can get both in the UK next day - can anyone elaborate on tone? I expect steel to be brighter and brass to be warmer, no?

13. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

At risk of talking to myself, :D I just wanted to say that I've had some very helpful emails from Michael at Armadillo, so I think I might go with the Andy Summers bridge plate and the standard saddles (which are slightly shorter than the Andy S ones).

14. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

I didn't purchase bridge plate/saddle but did pick up some "extra knurl" stainless steel Tele knobs from Armadillo and was impressed with the customer service, (and some seriously real knurly steel knobs!)

15. Jeff H

Jeff H Tele-Meister

GOTOH,, best available.

Adult string spacing. Perfect intonation and string height. Quality and value. The intelligent choice.

16. MrTwang

MrTwang Friend of Leo's

Don't know about bridges but when I was forced to use a 6 saddle bridge on one of my partscasters (it was pre-routed and vintage style bridges wouldn't fit) I really hated the block saddles so I used vintage style Strat saddles which, I think,look a lot better and it sounds great.

17. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I think brass sounds twangier - note, I THINK brass sounds twangier. It's probably because I want brass to sound twangier. I doubt there's any noticeable difference.

18. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

JMHO but a Gotoh Modern Tele Bridge are not expensive and are good. I "believe" they are chrome plated brass, mine was sold as such in 2005, excellent bridges for intonation of all six strings and no issues where you may bleed from playing hard (only happened once). See stewmac.com ( no commercial affiliations). I agree with Nick Fannis.

19. PinewoodRo

PinewoodRo Tele-Afflicted

I have a chrome plated brass gotoh which is my favourite six-saddle bridge. I think Allparts UK sell them. If you spend more than £30 with StewMac you'll get stung for import duty.

20. Lazer

Lazer Tele-Meister

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.