Six pack holder thing (packaging improvement)?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by sean79, Nov 3, 2018.

1. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

Why is this better than the traditional old-school six-pack connector things?
    IMG_2774.JPG
    It looks like it would take more plastic to make, and cans are tougher to remove. Fish or ducks or other little critters could still get caught up in these things - maybe not quite as easily, but I don’t know that that has anything to do with this new design anyway.

uriah1 likes this.
  2. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I just go with cases, better for the environment and flattened out the boxes work great for covering radiators in the winter.

3. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

There have been some changes to those clear plastic duck stranglers so that they disintegrate quicker. It also makes them less useful for holding cans and you could lose one in the parking lot on the way to your car. That has actually happened to me. A lot of craft microbreweries have been using these carriers that snap onto the top of the can. I toss it in the recycler bin when I take the cans out. Hope it's better on the environment, but I doubt it.

sean79 and nojazzhere like this.
  4. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

sean79 and BobbyZ like this.
  5. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

6. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

As far as I recall, they pretty much all come in a cardboard box around here

Chunkocaster, sean79 and 8barlouie like this.
  7. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

Well, it would help reduce instances of fatal leptospirosis from drinking from cans infected from mouse urine . . .

. . . but it turns out that that doesn't really happen. Thanks internet.

I dunno, seems like primarily craft brewers use these. Might have something to do with cost/volume ratio or the machinery required vs the traditional plastic rings.

Teleterr and sean79 like this.
  8. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Why cover radiators in the winter? Surely that’s when they need to be unobstructed to heat the house?

Toto'sDad likes this.
  9. Boubou

Only antique houses use radiators for heating, he means to cover his car radiator, to keep it warm

sean79, nojazzhere and BobbyZ like this.
  10. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah that. :)

Haven't had to do that in years though, normally if the engine's thermostat is working right it's not an issue.

sean79, Boubou and nojazzhere like this.
  11. Boubou

Yeah that too, I guess I should have said, antique houses and antique cars, modern engines work fine in the cold

LPTyler, sean79 and BobbyZ like this.
  12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Never seen one of these, but from the picture, it looks like it should be RE-USABLE, rather than re-cycled. When are we going to figure out that using containers that can be returned for deposit and re-used would help solve many of our environmental problems. As late as the late seventies (and maybe later) we returned soft-drink bottles and glass milk bottles. I still try to buy products in clear glass jars, because they don't contaminate foods and I use them for storing leftovers.
    I used to try to stress to my students the three "R's" of helping the environment......1) REDUCE....
    2)RE-USE.....3)RE-CYCLE......in that order. But I guess too many people think of this, like Pete Townshend once referred to it, as "all that other "hippie" sh*t.....(Psycho-Derelict)

Teleterr and sean79 like this.
  13. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You Canadians, always doing the right thing.

14. Boubou

We got trees to make the cardboard

BobbyZ, sean79 and 8barlouie like this.
  15. sean79

As suggested, maybe it is related to a cost savings in machinery/equipment at the bottling facility. These things do appear to just clip on. And this was from a very small local(ish) brewery. I wonder if they would want them back.

16. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

I buy my six packs by the case .

17. sean79

The problem with buying cases is the drinking cases that always seems to follow. Over the last few years, I’ve really tried to cut back on my beer/alcohol and caloric intake. If I just buy a six-pack, I’m more likely to only have one (or two) - making it more likely that there’s something in the fridge the next time I want to have one. But, that empty six-pack thing tells me it might be time to pick up another one.

BobbyZ likes this.
  18. hazcat

hazcat Tele-Meister

Those "beverage handles" are both recyclable and made from 100% recycled plastic. I'm not affiliated, but I'm in a related business, and these are a local product. Here's the local manufacturer's website: https://paktech-opi.com/ . There might be other manufacturers, so those may or may not share these attributes.

Reuse would be better, and not needing them at all better still. The manufacturer collects these for recycling, but I just realized I don't know whether they actually remanufacture them or whether they're able to sterilize them and ship them back out for reuse. They come in a lot of configurations, though, so reuse might be problematic. I'll have to try to find out. There is a brewery in Utah somewhere that uses edible six-pack holders. Not sure how I feel about that.

Anyway, all the local hipsters and beer aficionados seem to be into growlers at the moment.

sean79 likes this.
  19. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Maybe they come in a cardboard box in Quebec. Out here, 6-pack cans of beer are bound together by the plastic ring thing, or that new plastic cap thing. Twelve-packs do come in a box.

sean79 and 8barlouie like this.
  20. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

IF our Best Source of information is the Advertising we read, we will just have to believe that it is better because they say it is. :)

sean79 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.