Six new plugs installed in our 2015 Murano...guess how much!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by John Backlund, Oct 17, 2020 at 8:14 PM.

1. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

The Astro van has one coil on top of the engine, and whoever replaced the coil before didn't bother taking out the bad coil, so I found the new coil laying beside the old coil. You can't trust anyone anymore.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  2. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Car has 87,000, runs fine.

3. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Afflicted

Sell it before you have troubles with the CVT transmission....

Just sayin....

4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

There comes a point where you just about have to do that.

5. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

on that car (and a lot of other new ones) you have to take off the intake manifold and the fuel control unit, power steering & ignition parts among other things... thats about 3 hours work if you know what you are doing. new gaskets and seals required. and platinum plugs so you don't have to do it again for another 100,000 miles. ching ching ching... it all adds up

I was all set to buy a RAV4 until I read up on its maintenance quirks. same as your Nissan, its a days work to do the plugs

6. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Unbelievable.

Yes, you need a reputable local mom and pop auto repair shop. Dealers really do not make any money selling cars. As is the slogan in many commercial endeavors, "It's the service after the sale!"

Also, that "Fuel Injection Service" listed on your rap sheet is a scam. It's completely unnecessary.

Don't fall for it. Just say, "no."

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

John, you better hurry and grab that deal.

Only good for 30 days.

+

This is so amazing. I often pull the plugs, just to see if I'm getting a nice clean burn. 15 minutes, tops. Any vehicle I've got.

And if you can't do it in under 30 minutes, that speaks poorly of the entire design I think. I'm so sick of designs that are so complex, nobody but the original assemblers of the jumble of stuff are competent to ever touch it.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 3:28 AM
  8. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Last week I paid $35 for the EXACT same job in my Nissan Quasqai in Athens. Spark plugs were $40.
    You guys are crazy :D

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

For a Nissan?:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

This must fall into that first world order problem category.

Now, I do come from a different perspective in that I would spend hours syncing my dual triple barrel Weber carbs on my 911 with it's 27 carb adjustments and all it cost me was a couple beers, but I got to listen to the beautiful sound of that great engine during the process.

dkmw, Jlwctn, getbent and 1 other person like this.
  10. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

You need a plug socket and six plugs!

Obsessed likes this.
  11. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Can’t remember the model but a while ago I helped a mate replace the headlamp bulb on his Ford. Had to remove the grill, bumper and part of the wing. I think that when they guilt it the first thing that went down that production line was the bulb, the rest of the car was built around it.

12. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

There is a reason why I gave up the infernal combustion mode of transport and switch to riding my bicycle, I knew I could trust the mechanic.

I heard and saw all of this and more and said "golly! this is what I'm expected to put up with and pay bend over insurance, the price of gas, and put up with those asleep at the wheel this is what participation entitles me to.
    I realized that for all of this to be happening in my life, I had to choose for it to be happening with my consent all of this and more.
    Whoopsie! that sent me around the bend, "asking do I really have " latent masochistic tendencies?

13. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Afflicted

meh..new cars are just expensive to maintain and old cars arent worth the cost at times to keep them up. and Ive owned 3 Japanese cars in 23 years and never had to change 1 single spark plug. tbe cars were all well over 100k. transmissions struts shocks control arms alternators starter batteries and light bulbs...nothin major

btw my battery on my infiniti is 379.00 and you cant get it anywhere else but the dealer. 24h frame with reversed polarity. No one but infiniti dealer service has these. for the guy complaining about the 200 dollar battery, that was a bargain :D

14. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

There is a reason they are called “stealerships”

15. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

My last three cars, Citroen ZX, Xsara and Ford Focus, have all been diesels, the first two ran for over 200k miles, the Ford now had almost 190k. I have owned them all from about 30k. I have not had to change a single glow plug on them. When the Ford has to go to the scrapyard I'll replace it with an EV. At my time of life I don't want to own anything as complex as a petrol or diesel fuelled car.

Like the new avatar @John Backlund

16. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Almost every experience I've had with a dealer in the last 25 years has been an attempted or successful screw job. And the expertise in the dealer service departments is either non-existent or lazy. If the diagnostic plug doesn't tell them what's wrong, they shrug. One of them replaced a starter in my just-out-of-warranty car and then mentioned in the write-up that they had also tightened a loose ground connection to the starter! If it hadn't been winter in Ohio, I might have looked under there for just that problem before ever calling the tow truck. I never went back.

17. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Afflicted

Theres too much misinformation here to even begin correcting it all and I interpret the OP as more rant than question anyway...

But heres my answer to the question that really wasnt asked.

87k is probably premature to replace the plugs. If they are platinum tipped, 90-100+ is a common recommendation. Iridium, usually 120k+ and often look like new when they come out.
    CK. your owners manual.

Just as with the other service suggestons, it is up to the consumer to decide the need. Of course some are unneeded or added "icing" and this is common practice among dealers AND independents. worthy of dislike, but it is what it is. I HATE seeing things as simple as an air filter recommended by mileage, without even being inspected, and replaced despite looking brand new. Anyone on my team knows it is grounds for dismissal.
    But the spark plugs in engines like this example? Cant just easily look at those. And even if you do....
    I recommend replacement at the recommended interval.

Be a knowledgeable consumer. Know what the manufacturer recommends and when. And when a service department recommends something, ASK WHY. Dont like the answer, decline. know your right to see a condition if possible, and to get the replaced parts upon completion.
    If you feel the business consistently suggests extras you dont feel you need, find a place that doesnt.

In this example, I do NOT agree with waiting until there is a problem. Neglected spark plugs (in this example) can lead to coil pack failures. Coil pack failures can lead to failures of the drivers in the electronic control unit (ECM)
    You can easily add unnecessary expense.
    Side note: coil failures on these is not uncommon. I have customers who would insist on replacing the coils while "in there" without any sales pressure from us.

As to the labor charge on doing the plugs when necessary on that engine, you decide.

If you have the ability to diy, or another alternative method suites you, go for it.
    But dont be so quick to judge the value of the professional who takes on this undesirable task. This job sux. Performing correctly takes time and patience. And the guy who consistently does it well deserves to afford a steak dinner once in a while.

As an independent mechanic/businessman who has worked in both dealers and independents all of his career, I find the universal dealer bashing totally un-founded based on my experience. There are good and bad in both markets.
    Its a damned difficult business to be in. I could have been a dentist and pulled less teeth.

dkmw and Lowerleftcoast like this.
  18. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Afflicted

5.4 modular.
    And every one could be melted down for scrap as far as I am concerned.

"They dont make 'em like that anymore"
    Thank goodness for the small things! :cool:

I know, I know. Inevitable response...
    "I love mine!"

Your mechanic either hates it or is a masochist.
    Guaranteed.

985plowboy likes this.
  19. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My experience as well.

20. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

A lot of those people are either the ones who don't understand that things are different because it's no longer the old days or the "I'll think for myself" crowd who aren't the great thinkers they make themselves out to be.

Does it? A 30-minute job that has to be done four times over 150,000 miles consumes more wrench time than a 90-minute job that only has to be done once.

If you're not trying to do it with guesswork, basic reading comprehension and a service manual are usually all that's necessary to become competent.

My car blew the MOSFET that controls the blower motor under the dash. The time spent with the service manual in the comfort of my office understanding what the job entailed plus the time to do the work totaled about an hour. The best part was not spending any time contorted under the dash trying to figure out where things were and how they came apart and went together.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.