Six new plugs installed in our 2015 Murano...guess how much!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by John Backlund, Oct 17, 2020 at 8:14 PM.

1. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I took our Nissan Murano to the dealership for a 50% off deal on an oil and filter change.

Of course, they also included a 'free' maintenance and safety check, which could show up a serious deficiency that might merit immediate attention, but it's also a fishing expedition to round up some possible service business.

One of the items on their long list of things they 'recommend' be done, is replacing the engine's six spark plugs.

For just that alone, including the sales tax, they want almost $400.
    IMG_20201017_134507009_MP.jpg

That's just insane.

Back when I was driving the bus, I would have to work 26.5 hours just to pay for them installing SIX new sparks in that Nissan.

The total for performing all the service items they want us to have done, is about $1700.

I asked the service guy if they had to pull the engine to get those plugs into that thing, he gave me some vague answer on how much they had to do to access those plugs.

:(

2. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

You need a reputable local shop, my friend.

3. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Meister

This reminds me of fords two piece spark plugs that they would use on some V8 engines and would break apart and have pieces fall into the cylinder, I heard one out of eight would always break so you had to pull one or more heads.

Scooter91 and mexicanyella like this.
  4. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

We used to have a 2006 Ford Freestar minivan—what a dumb name, Freestar—and I liked driving it, but had one of the six fuel injectors fail and it was a $300 part! Cripes!

To change it, they had to pull the upper intake plenum and remove the wiper transmission (of course it was on the rear cylinder bank). They said we might as well do the plugs at that time, since getting to the rear three was a real ***** and as long as they had all that stuff off to do the injector...

I asked the service manager if that injector failure was common, imagining parts-alone costs of
    “the other $1500” following soon after. He said nope, this was a total fluke, lots of them last way past 200K.

As it turned out, just past 200K it was about to eat its second transmission so we traded it in and took the hit. That was a good running van most of the time but MAN it was pretty tight under that hood. Made me miss my old inline six CJ-5.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  5. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

It seems dealer repairs are always twice as much or more than taking it to someone else

I’m not saying find the cheapest but you can have the same quality work done elsewhere

But then you void the warranty!

I think most of these places leave stuff undone on purpose or “save it for later”

Think about it...if your car is properly worked on then you should be fine for a long time other than regular maintenance (Oil/brakes), still you’ll find yourself having to get something else worked on every 6-8 months

6. John Backlund

Easily done.

The Murano runs great, gets regular oil changes, and attention when it's actually necessary, but it won't get spark plugs until it tells me it's a 'must do'.

7. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Tele-Afflicted

We have a Yukon. The dealership was great from when we bought it new until the warranty ended. After the warranty ended they offered a fair price for an oil change so my wife took it in. They told her it needed a $700.00 water pump. She brought it home. I checked it and it was fine but they had loosened a line on the air-conditioner. Sabotage. Luckily I found it as soon as she brought it home. I tightened the line before the refrigerant was lost. Needless to say we have not been back.
    Oh, and the water pump needed to be replaced 7 years later.

As @haggardfan1 said... need a reputable shop.;)

Stubee, Wally, Deeve and 1 other person like this.
  8. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

j

Plugs at the local auto parts store will run you about $90-100/set(6). dealer will mark those up , maybe 2x. Book labor 2-3 (even though they might do it in 1.5 hr) hours at $125/hr.... $400 is about right. Buy the plugs at Advanced Auto or other local store and DYI.

Archtop Bill and SnidelyWhiplash like this.
  9. John Backlund

If it starts to misfire, or becomes hard to start, I'll consider it, but not before it gives me a real reason to diddle around with it.

TeleTucson likes this.
  10. telepicker52

telepicker52 Tele-Holic

Do you know that the plugs really don't need replaced till 100,000 miles?

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  11. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

How many miles are on it? Most modern plugs are good for 70k - 100k miles in a good running motor.

Although I think they are crazy to charge that in labor costs, but there is no doubt that some car companies are designing engine lay-outs with no consideration for maintenance issues. It used to be a very easy task to replace a heater core, but I made the mistake of helping a neighbor replace theirs in a small Lincoln. I had to remove the entire dash to get at it...booked at 9 hours labor and I found out why. No car should be built like that.

12. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Friend of Leo's

I don't know about a Nissan But I have worked on several cars that the upper intake has to come off to change the plugs.

Most of the cars that this happens also use iridium plugs that should last around 100000 miles.

This is not necessarily a bad price.

Foreign design cars OFTEN have hidden costs. We recently replaced a drive shaft on a Korean design SUV because it need a Universal joint. There are none available. You have to buy the whole drive shaft.

13. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

On both Chevy vans I have you have to take the front wheels off to get at the spark plugs. On the Astro van V6 it took me about 7 hours to change the plugs and wires, because you can't get your hand between the frame and the body, so I had to use a 2' long wobbler extension. Don't even ask how I got the plug wires back on. I'm sure a pro mechanic could have done it in half the time on a hoist, but I think it would easily cost 5 to $600 with parts and labor. I think I'll go back to Fords next time.

14. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I'd tell them to kick rocks for that high AF quote

15. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Plugs on new rides are HARD to get to a lot of the time. We needed them done on the wife’s ‘15 Forester. It was more than you paid, and it was at my local reputable shop, who’s quote was a little more than half of what the dealer wanted.

My son does lots of little stuff for us like that. Oil changes, brakes, minor DIY stuff. He went outside, popped the hood, looked it over, pulled the job up on YouTube, watched for a bit, and said “yeah... call the mechanic.”

jvin248, dlaroe, drf64 and 1 other person like this.
  16. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

Couple with that dealing with coil packs since most new cars have them on top of each spark plug and things can get complicated. There can be a lot to remove just to get at the spark plugs. I change my own and mine aren’t too difficult to access but I have seen more than one YouTube video of someone breaking a coil pack electrical connector or some such while thinking “I just wanted to replace my spark plugs like I did in the old days.” No chance, sucker.

TwoBear likes this.
  17. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

you change plugs every 100K miles on new cars. I used to change plugs at 10K (or less.) The new ones are harder to get to because you don't change them often. Cars have changed a lot, we need to not compare what used to be with what is.

Jakedog, TwoBear, beninma and 3 others like this.
  18. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

In order to make any truly worthwhile recommendation that spark plugs be replaced, they would have to have done a visual inspection by pulling the plugs. You can't reasonably recommend that simply based on mileage, because the same amount of miles on any two identical cars driven by different people will result in different numbers of plug firings. The person doing more stop and go will have far more spark plug wear per mile driven than the person doing primarily highway miles. This doesn't even get into the other variables, which are important. Fuel type, style of driving, timing, etc.

That said, about 65 bucks a piece including labor isn't really all that expensive IMO. The parts themselves are probably $15 to $30 a piece. Many things to whine about regarding car dealers, but this isn't too strong of one.

Jakedog likes this.
  19. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Once i saw our nissan dealer charge a little old lady $200 to replace a battery i haven't been back. I found a good local shop.Dealers suck!

scrapyardblue likes this.
  20. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

My 2005 F-150 with the 5.2 (Is that right?? I’ve repressed those memories!)Triton was always in the shop.
    7 of the 8 “spark plugs” broke.
    $900 some odd dollar repair bill.

It tikked like a sewing machine and eventually yakked the motor going down the interstate with 160,000 miles on the odometer.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.