1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Six months into goofy time...

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by mexicanyella, Oct 23, 2020.

1. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

...is it too soon to start a “let’s see everybody’s recording/practicing/songwriting space” thread? Some of us have probably made fairly recent changes or additions (or subtractions, shudder) to their music space in the downtime.

After years of family busy-ness and parenthood and my gear being scattered and mostly packed away—aside from my bass rig set up at the band practice space—I have found recent time to start setting back up for song creation and recording at home. My son just left for college and some things have slowed down in my life, and a longtime transatlantic e-mail buddy and I have finally made good on our exchanged threats of collaborating on a musical project. It really helps provide something to look forward to under current conditions of isolation and no band hang time.

So I’ve been setting up a new practice/noodling/songwriting/
    recording space in a little alcove in one of our outbuildings that I use for office space.

C3EA134F-B039-4675-A0B1-7FA9E5F646A0.jpeg 08303F7B-964A-4BA1-A9C7-E4E7C3A90551.jpeg

Lap steel, guitar, coupla basses, my Peavey TKO I like playing all my instruments through at home, Magnus electric organ, two ancient drum machines (PAiA Drummer Boy and Ace-Tone Rhythm Ace) and a slightly newer one (Boss DR-5). Laptop with various software. Little Behringer mixer. IRig 2 interface. Joyo British Sound gets used for recording bass direct through the iRig.

My collab partner and I have been using the BandLab app on my iPhone and his tablet, so it’s pretty quick and dirty but it really cuts down on file upload/download and has been a lot of fun to use. So the laptop is sitting idle at the moment, and I was taking the photos with the iPhone.

Yeah, I need to dust the lap steel and the Dean bass, I know...

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  2. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

excellant stuff if it works for the purpose its perfect , Mine is on the rediculous end of the TOO MUCH gear end and no matter how complex I pull my gear back simplicity to use it
    congrats!

mexicanyella likes this.
  3. mexicanyella

I’m all for seeing anything from the ridiculous to the Spartan! Any of that might give me ideas or inspiration on what to do next. It’s interesting to me to see how people set up creative workspace. Feel free to post sound clips of stuff you’ve done in your space too. I intend to soon, once we get something finished. Several things are in “extremely rough mix, not all the lyrics in place” status. But one tune does include the organ, the white Squier P-bass and the black Squier guitar on my end, and it should be sort of finished soon...

24 track likes this.
  4. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Afflicted

Cool.
    I have one of those chord organs too!
    How are you micing yours?

rangercaster likes this.
  5. 24 track

be carefull what you wish for......

this is my console, the equipment has been moved around since this shot but you get the idea

IMG_0019.JPG

this is my virtual guitar rig

IMG_0334.JPG

my spare and live recorder a Yamaha AW4416 with lots of cards for firewire and lightpipe so I can tie it into the rest of my system plus it records to hard drive and burns CDs

yamaha-aw4416-982.jpg

my latest aquisitions and projeect waiting for my eurorack modules to arrive , and missing a 16 chanel rack mount mixer

P1012436.JPG

my studio guitar system

P1011968.JPG

some of my amps lots are missing from this shot

P1011488.JPG

some of my guitars

P1010005a .JPG

TOO MUCH STUFF

and there is lots and lots more not in these pics

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  6. mexicanyella

Awesome! Thanks!

I think I remember seeing shots of the rooms of left-handedness in some other thread. Your hours looks like a fuuuuuuuuuuuuuun place to hang out.

As an aside, is your avatar photo of Hound Dog Taylor’s Hand? I just heard “The Sun is Shining” on the radio yesterday!

24 track likes this.
  7. 24 track

yes in honor of the dog himself

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  8. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I see an older Crown amp, I just picked up a little newer one, $1 a pound, or 7c per watt. Not sure what I'm going to do with it though.

24 track likes this.
  9. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

Top of the mornin'....

Here's my space.
    Quite a bit more lean than my old analog recording days but it's quite efficient for my writing/recording purposes.
    It's about 11'x12'.

Just finished a new song last night so I have some mixing to do.
    Takes me forever to get a vocal I'm actually satisfied with given my lack of preferred singing skills. :)

Current setup 1.jpg Current setup 2.jpg

10. 24 track

check it out first and replace any bad caps , these are fantastic amps the Amcron DC300 is an export version of the crown lab series , excellant amps and a nice score , these are buit like tanks. congrats, I got mine for $60.00 cdn

11. mexicanyella

Not in my photo above is a Crown MicroTech 600 I picked up real cheap to power my bass cab right before the goofy times started. I’ve powered it up twice, I think.

Interesting to see ART gear. Reminds me of the Musicians Friend catalog days of yesteryear...

@24 track, do you have a thread somewhere about your virtual guitar rig?

12. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Its functioning, but has an internal chassis hum or buzz. I cannot find a tech to even answer the phone, much less take it in for service. Its going to a tech as soon as possible though.

24 track likes this.
  13. 24 track

not really , it is a rack mount PC with max ram and hard drives , the second rack unit has 6X1 terrabyte sata harddrives in it that i can access any of them individually I have loaded a ton of amp simulators in it and reaper to drive it . The audio outs feed directly into my other gear, input is a presonus 24 bit /96K firepod interface all the midi controlls are done with logic environment , the 2 power mac G5's Mac towers under neath are library sounds for the programs I run in my main 2 recording computers also Mac G5 towers , and the mastering computer is also a mac G5 tower , I have 8X1 terrabyte harddrives of programs some still to be installed into the system , with the mac OS I can use the run function and port all the harddrives onto each computer for access using a closed lan system.

As for the ART gear I have 3X SGX 2000s , 2 X SGE mach 2s, 1X MULTIVERB 3, plus the X15 ultrafoot controller.to be honest i get some nice sounds out of the SGX 2000 's, easier to use than the Pod Pro.

14. 24 track

yeah i made sure the one I got had a complete cap job as well sound like yours need one as well ,

here is a site for the service manual for your amp you may wish to download and print it out

https://www.crownaudio.com/en/product_documents/mt600sm-pdf

15. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

16. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

Photos over the years of the the control room of the project studio I (read: my general contractor and his hardworking guys) built in 2016:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. mexicanyella

Well, I don’t have cabling to hook up my actual mics yet; hope to solder up my own sometime soon, so in the spirit of quick-and-dirty, let’s see what BandLab can do, I...uh...

...well, I held my phone above the sound vents, maybe 16” above them, while playing a descending little reggae thing on the upbeats with one hand. And you know what? It worked great! It made a very accurate recording of what it sounds like, including the blower that is about 2 dB quieter than the actual notes, and the plastic-sounding clacks as the keys finish up their mile-long travel.

I jumped on BandLab’s noise gate and gated out the blower noise between the little upbeat stabs—it was easy—and what was left sounded pretty cool, like a lo-fi accordion.

Once I have cabling together I can experiment with condenser vs dynamic mics on it and see if I can do better (maybe I’ll be able to play it better by then too) but on the one song I’ve used it on so far, it was a blast...well worth its $11.00 junk shop price tag!

I have an old dynamic announcer mic with a 1/4” male jack on it, and I’m curious to see how the organ sounds with some fake Leslie speaker courtesy of my old DOD chorus pedal set at a high swirly rate. But even dry, no effects, it’s a fun texture for simple background parts.

ArcticWhite likes this.
  18. 24 track

nice lay out , I didnt have the space you have , or the ceiling hieght , is that an eventide H9000 under your phone? if it is you lucky bugger, LOL

19. mexicanyella

@24 track and @Ed Driscoll, if I could like each of your posts 340 times I would. Thanks for taking the time to post those photos; those spaces look great. Looks like some pretty involved panel angles and joinery and acoustic treatment to keep the standing waves/flutter echoes under control...something I may have to deal with once (if) I progress beyond the tiny constraints of what I’m doing now.

24 track and Ed Driscoll like this.
  20. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

Yes! I waited over a year and a half after construction was done after I read Eventide would be introducing the H9000. I figured they would be, as by the end of 2016, the H8000 had had quite a long shelf life (not that it doesn't still sound great). That's why the early photos of the desk have a blank panel on the right. I was waiting for this day:

[​IMG]

I think it took another six months before Eventide introduced the Emote software, which effectively allows the H9000 to be used as a VST plugin. Just working it from the front panel I was fumbling with it as first. But with Emote, it's really powerful stuff.

24 track likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.