Six-month(?) review of the Chihuahua

Srini

TDPRI Member
Hey all,

For what it's worth, I thought I'd say a few words about the Chihuahua after roughly six months. Bottom line - I couldn't be happier.

All it needed was a quality attenuator (I'm using the Tone King Iron Man II Mini). When the amp is set to it's sweet spot for me (I have to believe there are several, depending on what you're looking for), I get this deliciously fat, responsive, juicy tone - truly to die for. Every picking nuance comes through beautifully and musically. You can jam to high quality backing tracks, and never know that the guitar was not already in the mix. This, with absolutely no pedals, and just a touch of spring reverb - that's it.

On top of that, with minor tweaks of the guitar controls, I'm able to play along with just about any style - and the amp sounds ridiculously great.

Sorry there's nothing new or earth-shattering about this post, but all I can say is, I wish I had bought this amp 20 years ago. If anybody is wondering about getting one - do it!!!

Srini

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Hey all,

For what it's worth, I thought I'd say a few words about the Chihuahua after roughly six months. Bottom line - I couldn't be happier.

All it needed was a quality attenuator (I'm using the Tone King Iron Man II Mini). When the amp is set to it's sweet spot for me (I have to believe there are several, depending on what you're looking for), I get this deliciously fat, responsive, juicy tone - truly to die for. Every picking nuance comes through beautifully and musically. You can jam to high quality backing tracks, and never know that the guitar was not already in the mix. This, with absolutely no pedals, and just a touch of spring reverb - that's it.

On top of that, with minor tweaks of the guitar controls, I'm able to play along with just about any style - and the amp sounds ridiculously great.

Sorry there's nothing new or earth-shattering about this post, but all I can say is, I wish I had bought this amp 20 years ago. If anybody is wondering about getting one - do it!!!

Srini

Lucky you got one when you did!

From the Allen Amplification web site:

March 20, 2022

I'm not accepting any new orders. I have sold the business and I am finishing out my backlog of amp orders. I should be done by May 1st. The new owners will take over some time in May and reintroduce the company a few months later. I will support them in every way I can. There will be a new website and details to follow.

Thank you for your continued support!

David Allen

Srini

TDPRI Member
Oh man...that comes to me as a surprise. I was actually so impressed by the amp that I had to send David an email to tell him how great was. He responded very graciously, but never mentioned a thing about selling; although when you're ready to retire, you're ready to retire, you know.

Srini

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Oh man...that comes to me as a surprise. I was actually so impressed by the amp that I had to send David an email to tell him how great was. He responded very graciously, but never mentioned a thing about selling; although when you're ready to retire, you're ready to retire, you know.

Srini

I spoke with him in December. He said there was a slight delay due to back log of cabinets. Be at least 60 days to delivery. I explained I'm a full time RV'er and I'd contact him when I knew where I'd be in late February onward.

He never mentioned he'd be hanging up his spurs.....

Hope it's just a retirement for pleasures sake! He seemed like a super cool guy we chatted for ~15 minutes about what would be best for me.

Srini

TDPRI Member
He does seem like a super cool guy. I remember him saying in the email that acknowledged my order that he was going to build me a nice amp that will serve me for many years to come. I thought that was a wonderful way to be proud of your work without being braggadocious, you know.

I expected to like it, and even love it at some point. But I am so pleasantly surprised at the level of joy I experience while playing it. I don't even have a RAW footswitch. I've set it to just around 2 I think, maybe a little less than that. But I don't have to touch the amp except to turn it on and off. With such a sweet basic tone, who needs bells and whistles, right?

It certainly would be a shame for the community to lose such a great amp builder, but then as you say...hey..I got mine!!

Srini

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
Echoing my experience with David Allen and with the amp he built for me. I was really, really interested in getting a Sweet Spot (10watts single ended 6l6) when I read he had retired. Maybe the new owners will do his amps justice. The one I have is a beaut.

S00NERMAN

Tele-Holic
I actually stopped using my Chihuahua as it was just too dang loud. Going to consider the attenuator as I otherwise really like the amp! Every contact I had with David was positive and I wish him well.

Srini

TDPRI Member
I could be wrong, but I thought the Chihuahua was the only single ended amp he built..?? By the way, which one do you have now?
Echoing my experience with David Allen and with the amp he built for me. I was really, really interested in getting a Sweet Spot (10watts single ended 6l6) when I read he had retired. Maybe the new owners will do his amps justice. The one I have is a beaut.

Srini

TDPRI Member
S00nerman, I had the exact same experience! But the Iron Man was the solution - I get all that glorious tone at conversational volumes now.

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
I could be wrong, but I thought the Chihuahua was the only single ended amp he built..?? By the way, which one do you have now?
I thought it had a different name, he has / had a bunch of different models. Current amp is an Allen Accomplice Jr with 6L6 and bigger trannies in a 112 combo.