Sitcom Laughtracks

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by fuffydingo, Mar 16, 2016.

1. fuffydingo

fuffydingo Former Member

Normally I watch the news in the morning and something educational at night. Tonight I put on a nameless sitcom and OH Boy! The laugh track was crazy, so I thought it was just that show. I changed the channel to another sitcom and Bam! The same thing! Well I thought is this really that funny? I tried laughing along with the laugh track until I got up turned the TV off to look for the straight jacket. Who the heck laughs that much?

2. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

yeah, it's really a stupid thing, I don't like shows that are filmed in front of a studio audience or have a canned laugh track. i know when to laugh. We don't have TV, we watch mostly movies on Netflix and Amazon, sometimes Crackle . Sometimes we watch the TV shows on those services but I tend to stay away from sitcoms.

3. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Some sitcoms are just too predictable and too homogenized.
    Two Broke Girls comes to mind, amongst others.
    It all goes back to the script and story line.
    If it ain't on the Page, it ain't on the Stage.

richiek65 likes this.
  4. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The laugh track is more important than you think. Without it, American TV would not be where it is today.

5. black_doug

black_doug Tele-Afflicted

It really annoys me, too. I can't watch most sitcoms.

I'm reminded of the Woody Allen movie, Manhattan. His character is a very successful television writer who's tired of churning out pap comedy. There's a great scene where he's in the room with the editors. He walks out in disgust when he hears how much laughter is being added to the scenes he wrote. And that was in the 70's.

6. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Wow, that's weird with no laughs. They're just mean and annoying, not funny at all.

7. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

I wonder what the effect would be if an overdone, over the top laugh track (uncontrollable laughter like it was the funniest thing of all time) was dubbed into that Big Bang scene. It would be super cheesy and perhaps strangely funny for a very short time at least.

8. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Imagine a laugh track to your favorite drama or cop show?

[​IMG]

Tele1966 likes this.
  9. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

I beg to differ.
    Vapid and insipid can not be Neutralized by a Laugh track.

10. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I used to like 3 1/2 Men, until one day I was working in the studio and was just listening to the sound track , every line had a laugh track, I thought, Are we that gullible as a society that we have to be told when some thing is amusing repeatedly? I've not watched a sitcom since, I have never watched BBT not even once.

I would at times record the sound track for TV shows and Movies just to get a scope as to the sound effects, Timing and how clean the edits were, just to gauge what was prudent for that genre, it was an interesting experiment

11. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ah, I lament for the days of the "filmed in front of a live studio audience" at the start of the show. Sometimes, you'd hear that one uber-fan that would laugh far to much and then be absent from the second half ... pretty sure they either gagged them or politely asked them to leave.

Once you start to notice the laugh track, it's like watching a serious movie or a cop show and thinking to yourself, "these guys are all just reading a script, and you're sooo getting sucked into it, fool".

I've been on a few sets in my time, and the difference between watching the director's monitors and the live scene is so drastic it makes you rethink TV and film. Looks like a bad, overacted high school play in real life; looks like Hollywood on the screen.

12. overlock

overlock Tele-Afflicted

The old Batman with Adam West and Burt Ward was something of a mould-breaker for the 60s, in being recorded with no laugh track whatsoever. There was an episode about a nefarious TV producer who was inserting canned laughter to try and dumb down the public or some such absurdist nonsense.

I really have to find that series and watch it again. When your comedy is that good, you don't need to tell everyone when to laugh.

13. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

I started thinking that poeple don't always follow the script, I mean sometimes I've noticed that people laugh when they hear the laugh track, no matter what the character said, no matter if they understoond or not the joke.

It's strange yes, at least to me, but the world seems going that way sadly.

I watch some tv shows but lately i'm not finding many that capture my interest, i'm better of with a documentary or a movie.

cheers

14. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I'm not getting great internet service in the hotel where I am staying the night, so I haven't been able to get the correct info on this, but didn't there used to be a guy and his son(s) who had a laugh track machine? It had some knobs, levers, and pedals that the operator would use to play back recorded laughter of different types. The operator would what the show and add laughter where he thought it was needed. I remember one of them complaining that a producer would sometimes ask for more laughter than was advisable.

M*A*S*H didn't want a laugh track, but the network insisted on it. As a compromise, they didn't use a laugh track in the operating room scenes.

In junior high school, my still best friend and I stayed up all night making a continuous laughter tape. We kept the tape recorder in record pause mode. When we were ready to laugh, we'd turn it on. I don't think the result was very impressive, but I do remember how much our stomachs ached by morning.

15. radiomanjh

radiomanjh Tele-Afflicted

I can't watch the sitcoms because of the canned laughter and especially when they turn it on when something isn't funny at all.

16. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sometimes life needs a laugh track. Sometimes it has one.

Frank'n'censed likes this.
  17. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

I want a laugh track on all news channels.

rcole_sooner, Blue Bill and uriah1 like this.
  18. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

there are only two shows on TV they both use the same script and the actors are almost the same plus they use the same laugh track Judge Judy and Robot Chicken & Archer

blowtorch likes this.
  19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Can you imagine if you were schizophrenic and all the voices you heard were just laughing mindlessly at everything you said during the day?

fuffydingo likes this.
  20. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

You mean that's not normal? uh oh.

Toto'sDad likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.