Sister Rosetta Tharpe and the Mystery of the Phantom Amp

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by The Angle, Apr 14, 2019.

1. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Agreed on the difficulty. I spent hundreds of hours behind a camera and in the dark room back in the day, doing some very creative work. This could have been done with masking and burning in, but it would have been at the limit of my skill and would likely have taken dozens of tries to get one right.

2. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

I spoke with the owner a few minutes ago. There's a LOT more to this story. I'm going to interview him tomorrow and I promise you're going to want to hear this. I'd advise there be no negativity because this guy is a cool cat. Stay tuned.

3. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

In this image I think the supro is facing away from the audience next to a large sack, under the "station master" sign. pretty much dead center

[​IMG]

4. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

So you're thinking the VOX is the original amp used ? I'm thinking the Supro, and the VOX was added.

5. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

It may help clear up your confusion if you start from the beginning of the thread and read to the end. But if that's TLDR for you, perhaps read the page before this one. If that's STILL TLDR for you, let me just say that the amp in question isn't a Supro. But if THAT'S still TLDR for you... it's a photoshopped Evans.

Good grief...

David Barnett and suave eddie like this.
  6. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

It's so much easier to respond after only reading the first page.:lol:

Torren61 likes this.
  7. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Moot. Not mute.

No charge

8. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

I stand corrected.

Looking forward to hearing the story.

Cheers,
    Geoff

Torren61 likes this.
  9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

We're jes lookin for an escape goat to blame this on!

10. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

You mean WEAR jes lookin for an escape goat to blame this on, BigDaddyLH. Whatch your pees and queues, pleas!

Torren61 likes this.
  11. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

No Supro. Never was a Supro.

There was one amp there.

A Vox.

Even when they made the ad after the fact with the Evans amp , it didn’t bend time - they just made an ad. The Vox was the only amp there.

Torren61 and suave eddie like this.
  12. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

First Chet returns, now you guys are channelling Ol' Fuzzy. Who is next, Noam Pikelny? :D

TheGoodTexan and Torren61 like this.
  13. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

And now I'm really eager to play through an amp I'd never even heard of until Torren61 solved the puzzle.

The Angle and Torren61 like this.
  14. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

Just what are you trying to say?

15. aadvark

aadvark TDPRI Member

what a thoroughly enjoyable waste of time. I loved it...

Torren61 likes this.
  16. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Holic

Can't wait to hear the deeper story.

All the grammer and incorrectitudes are an inside joke. Most anyway.

RoscoeElegante and Torren61 like this.
  17. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

A veritable cornucopia of incorrectitudes.

Torren61 likes this.
  18. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

I applaud both of you for your excellent sleuthing. Thanks for unraveling this one, and I look forward to reading the rest of the story. :)

Torren61 likes this.
  19. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The funny part is, he corrected the use of moot but missed the mangled "anyway's" with the random apostrophe and needless plurality :)

If you're going to copy edit, you need to go all the way! :twisted::p

Torren61 likes this.
  20. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

I spent over an hour this morning speaking with Scott Buffington, the owner of Evans Amplifiers. Jim Evans, the founder of Evans Amplifiers, died several years ago at the age of 82 at a gig and Scott now owns the company.

We talked and talked about Sister Rosetta Tharpe. Actually, it was Scott who did nearly all of the talking. This man is a walking encyclopedia of anything having to do with Sister Rosetta Tharpe.

The story leading up to the “mystery amp” begins with The House of Blues Hour on a public radio station in North Carolina, where Scott lives. He started listening to the program and they were doing a show about Sister Rosetta Tharpe but Scot had to go out so he put in a cassette tape and hit “record”.

When he got back home, he rewound the tape and was blown away by what he was hearing. That was the moment that triggered him to become, arguably, her biggest fan.

Scot bought "Shout, Sister, Shout!: The Untold Story of Rock-and-Roll Trailblazer Sister Rosetta Tharpe” by Gayle Wald. He went on eBay and started buying nearly everything he could get his hands on having to do with Sister Rosetta.

He bought music and memorabilia. By his estimation, he owns everything she ever recorded, that is, all but a couple Christmas recordings. He also bought original photos including the photo from the train station concert with the Vox amp. He bought that one from the UK with a winning bid of $20 because there were no other bidders. That photo, with the original Vox amp, now resides at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Scott sent the original photo to his ad guy/photographer who photoshopped in an Evans SE200 amp. They used that photo on his site as a kind of wallpaper photo from around 2008 to 2011. He never said Sister Rosetta Tharpe used his amplifiers, he just loved her and her music so much that he wanted to include her on his site.

This man has made pilgrimages to Sister Rosetta’s old house, her cemetery and her church. He’s spoken directly with many people who knew her. He has almost every piece of music she ever recorded. He has videos of her. He probably knows more about her than any living person. His reverence and respect of the woman is true. Scot described her as the “missing link” of ALL music. He points out that she is in the Gospel Hall of Fame, the Blues Hall of Fame and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

He was as surprised as anyone when the photo of Sister Rosetta and the Evans amp photoshopped in began to circulate on the internet. As we all know, it’s nearly impossible to read the amp logo on the photoshopped picture. This is not a conspiracy or some plan for him to sell his amps. I am absolutely certain there was no nefarious or malicious intent. He wasn’t trying to scam anyone or twist history or anything like that so if you try to take it that direction, just stop. He doesn’t know how the photoshopped pic got out there and I believe him. Anyone could have taken that pic from his site.

Scot is one of those people who loves music. He plays jazz mostly on a Foster 7-string with his own amps. I found him to be genuine and people like him are the people I most like to be around. I feel like and hope I have made a new friendship.

In the end, I’m glad Scot did the “mystery amp” photo. I made a new friend and I’ll be listening to Sister Rosetta Tharp when I never would have heard of her before. My bet is that she wouldn’t have a problem in the world with it.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    Miff, kellybluz, fnkmstr and 6 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.