Sis Turned Me On To Good Music

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
Yep, I was second to the youngest of seven kids.
My older step brother was a fantastic piano player. I remember he played lots of Gershwin, Chick Corea, etc.
My older sisters were into Yes, Joni Michell, Beatles, ect. I inherited anything they didn’t listen to:
ZZ-Top-Tres Hombres, First Album, Rio Grand Mud.
Jeff Beck-Wired, Blow by Blow.
Eric Clapton-History of Eric Clapton.
King Crimson-Court Of The Crimson King
ELP- Tarkus, Carnival 9
Hendrix- Are You Experienced
Anything with an element of jazz in it:
Weather Report, Spyro Gyra, Return To Forever, Billy Cobham, Soft Machine, Al DiMeola, etc…
I developed a love for fusion that stayed with me my entire life thanks to them.

They encouraged me to play guitar as a kid. I owe them big time,…. Someday they’ll pay!👿

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
For me it was my dad at first.

He was a really early riser and would do laundry and clean house starting at 5AM.
At 7AM however it was time for everyone to get out of bed so the stereo would start playing. Bee Gees, The Fifth Dimension, The Supremes, Clapton, Hendrix, Steppenwolf, Johnny Cash all playing really loud while Dad sipped coffee.

Later it was long baseball and basketball road trips through high school where we would trade tapes for the trip. I was introduced to Van Halen, Judas Priest, Boston, Blue Oyster Cult, AC DC, and all the big hair bands of the 80's.

ravindave_3600

Friend of Leo's
My older brother was a sports guy, not that into music but he did have a Columbia Records 1c "membership" when he was 14. Jim Croce, John Denver, Simon & Garfunkel, Cat Steven's, 60's Bee Gees. Eagles Greatest. The Beatles' Blue Album. All good stuff, some of which I still play for the right audiences.

Then I heard some early Beatles on the radio and that was it for me. I led the charge after that.

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I used to enter contests like that as a kid. Never won zip. Your sister better stay away from me or she's gettin' an embittered sneer. Sneeeeer. Like that.
And that was just the first of many such things - - she's one of those people who wins an inordinate percentage of the time in any game of luck. If there's a door prize, a 50/50 drawing, whatever, she's gonna win. You can buy 20 tickets and she'll buy one, and win. But she's never hit on any of the huge jackpot drawings like MegaBucks. That's why I won't bet against her anymore.

bromdenlong

Tele-Holic
My older siblings listened to a lot of Simon and Garfunkel and The Doors. I still love them both. Santana, too, and the Carpenters, but I don’t really listen to them. Mom got me into the Beatles, James Taylor, and Gordon Lightfoot - not by listening to them, but by letting me have her old records.