Sis Turned Me On To Good Music

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I recently thanked my big sis for exposing me to good music when I was about 10 years old.

She is four years older than I am. When she was 14, she'd outgrown the Monkees and was deep into Tiger Beat magazine. Shawn Cassidy, David Partridge, Lief Garrett, Davy Jones, etc. Then, one day, she won a dial-in contest on the local AM Top 40 station. Sometime later, a big box arrived - - her prize. There were fifty 45 RPM records inside.

She began playing the 45s on our Columbia console stereo. Tubes. In the weeks and months that followed, she could be found sitting between the speakers, playing some sides over and over. I started to take interest.

Some of the things we really got into were:

David Bowie - Space Oddity, Fame
The Who - Baba O'Reilly
Grand Funk - Gimme Shelter
Yes - (can't remember the songs, but was blown away)
Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
Three Dog Night - Eli's Coming
Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young - Carry On
Badfinger - Day After Day

Sis was making money babysitting and was spending almost everything she made on music. The 45s pointed her to albums. I remember her acquiring everything from Zep, lots of Bowie, Yessongs and Close to the Edge, Who's Next, Three Dog Night Live, most of CSN&Y, some Beatles, McCartney solo, Badfinger.

There was also a lot of Motown and dance, which I didn't go for. She never got into blues, but I did around age 14-15. And then harder stuff.

Anyway, I recently thanked her for getting me off to a good start. I can't believe now that I had such a profound influence when I was so young. She actually teared up and said she had a lot of good memories from those days. A lot of water has gone under the bridge.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Bravo, sis!
My Dad filled that role in our family until I became a wannabe rocker, at about age 12.
After that point, I was the one bringing the new music into our house.
My music loving little sisters followed my lead.
Our tastes in music remain similar, all these years later.

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Bravo, sis!
My Dad filled that role in our family until I became a wannabe rocker, at about age 12.
After that point, I was the one bringing the new music into our house.
My music loving little sisters followed my lead.
Our tastes in music remain similar, all these years later.
Yep, same here. The roots go deep.

Tarkus60

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Same here me and my friend were exposed to great music. Our older sisters turned us on to great music.
My sister saw the Herman Hermits in 1967 at the Indiana state fair....opening act was The Who. It changed her.
The Beatles, Chicago, Steppenwolf....great late 60's bands.

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I was the middle kid, but my older bro wasn't that into music to be turning me on to anything I didn't already know about or it was a radio pop single...

I was the one through highschool finding out about bands/music and turning my younger bro onto music until he started his own journey..

I missed having an older bro/sis who lead the way and was a bit more into what was going on...

bowman

Friend of Leo's
I was the oldest of seven kids, so the role of pathfinder was mine. I certainly exposed them to an extremely wide variety, not out of any sense of duty, but because I liked all kinds of things. My next-oldest brother took to almost everything I played, but the others liked what they liked and didn’t venture too far from top 40. That’s the way it should be - make up your own mind.

RodeoTex

Doctor of Teleocity
HA! My older brother only lived too be in a uniform from the time he was a toddler. His only idea of music was Elvis (and I really think only because of what the movies looked like, not how they sounded).
I had to figure things out for myself.

Knows3Chords

Tele-Holic
My older always had a good record collection in his basement bedroom. I would sit down there a listen to music with him sometimes. I remember Diamond Dogs by Bowie the most for some reason. Lots of Beetles, John Lennon, and the Wings. He had the classic oversized headphones that were everywhere in 70's. I was not allowed in his room when he wasn't home, but I would go down there anyways and listen to music. I always made sure to carefully put everything back so he didn't know I was there. He also had many very nicely done model cars. I wasn't supposed to touch those either, but that's what little brothers are for.

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
my Older brother and I explored a lot of stuff together and dad was a musician, so I had quite a bit of exposure; on the other hand, radio was top 20, mostly dreck so that wasn't much of a help. It got better, though (all the way up to top 40, still mostly dreck), and my brother used to find stuff out somewhere; he came up with people like Bob Dylan and Frank Zappa when they were largely unknown. He also listened to interviews with the British bands when they came along; they tended to be pretty upfront that a lot of their best stuff was stolen from guys like Howlin' Wolf and Jimmy Reed and we should be listening to them, and so we did. Can't imagine being a kid without music.

archtop_fjk

Tele-Afflicted
I have to thank my older brother and two sisters. They got me into the Beatles big time. But my older brother (who learned guitar before I did and taught me my first chords) also got me into this eccentric fingerstyle player from Minnesota named Leo Kottke. That was it. I HAD to learn how to play fingerstyle and the first steel string guitar that I bought with my own money was of course a 12 string. Years later I got into electric guitar, the blues and hard rock and even learned how to use a pick! :D

While I’m here, I also have to thank my Mom, who fostered my life-long love of Classical guitar.

P-Nutz

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Youngest of six … by ten years … C&W (real!) Western swing, etc. from the Ps, ‘50s & ‘60s (Beatles!) from the three older kids sisses, little Jimi and R ‘n R from the Vietnam vet brother and disco from the other brother …

Me?

I “grew up” on ‘70s, ‘80s, ‘90s and beyond!

JeffBlue

Friend of Leo's
My earliest recollection of great music was listening and watching my mom and dad dancing to a Fats Domino record. My uncle got me listening to blues beginning with Jimmy Reed. I remember hearing Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis Presley, The Animals early on. Later, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Leon Russell, CCR, Beatles, Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Pink Floyd and on and on and on. Music (at least those eras) make life wonderful.

I find myself drawn to Robert Johnson, Howling' Wolf, Muddy Waters, Elmore James, Little Walter, Ray Charles, Etta James, Big Mama Thornton and so many more.

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
My sis bought "A Hard Day's Night" in 1964, but somehow I got turned on to The Byrds, Yardbirds, Cream, Hendrix, Zeppelin, etc. I still enjoyed the Beatles, but obviously, guitar-centric music grabbed me pretty hard.

Mr. St. Paul

Tele-Holic
I had a similar experience. I have 4 older sisters. The two oldest were into The Monkees, so I heard all of their music, and loved it. My sister who was closest to me in age (3 years older), introduced me to:

Led Zeppelin IV
Who's Next
Dark Side Of the Moon

She also had a 45 of Jimi Hendix doing 'Foxey Lady'. That reminds me, I need to reach out to her and say, "THANK YOU!" :p

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
I used to enter contests like that as a kid. Never won zip. Your sister better stay away from me or she's gettin' an embittered sneer. Sneeeeer. Like that.

raysachs

Friend of Leo's
I was born in 59, with a sister and brother who were 13 & 12 years older than me. My sister listened to the Beatles all the time so I got into the Beatles as a REALLY little kid kind of by osmosis. My brother NEVER liked anything that rocked at all - still doesn’t - so I never got anything from him musically. By the time I was 9 or 10, I’d gotten into Hendrix, Cream, Iron Butterfly, and the Stones all on my own. I was an odd little kid I guess. By my early teens I was adding Dylan, the Dead and the early blues guys. Late teens the treasure trove of jazz opened up to me. I got into Springsteen and Petty as soon as I heard them. My musical tastes are basically the same today - my listening is more diverse now, but the roots of what I love were set when I was a little kid. And I came into most of it on my own.

But I have to give my sister credit for getting me obsessed with guitars. She had a bunch of parties and I always remember kids with acoustic guitars leading folk singalongs. I was immediately mesmerized by the sound of those strummed acoustic guitars, almost regardless of what they were playing on them. As much as I played electric over the years, my favorite thing to do with a guitar is STILL strumming songs on acoustic and singing along. I didn’t start actually playing until I was 18 and it was my first Dead show that inspired / forced me to finally get off my ass and learn to play. But my musical preferences were already pretty much set.

-Ray

tubedude

Tele-Afflicted
My older brother was 10 years older.
He listened to top 40 swill, Turtles, Association, Herman's Hermits, etc.
My cousin however, whose family had a giant console stereo, introduced me to.real music. I heard the first bars of Good Times Bad Times and was hooked. Zeppelin was the gateway drug to all that followed, Cream, Manfred Mann, Mountain, Jefferson Airplane, Steppenwolf, James Gang, and especially Jeff Beck and Grand Funk. Had it not been for him, I'd likely been listening to The Monkeys and The 1910 Fruit Gum Company.
Many thanks cuz.