Sis-in-law fell and was saved by her five-year-old granddaughter.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
My sis-in-law fell at her home in Arkansas, she was alone with her five-year-old granddaughter at the time. Later it would be determined that she had not only broken her arm near her right shoulder but dislocated her shoulder as well. She could not get up from where she had fallen, but kept her wits about her, and had her granddaughter fetch her phone from her purse. She was in so much pain, she could not use the phone, but was able to give her granddaughter instructions for accessing the phone, who then called her grandpa who was not far away, he came rushing home, and got my sis-in-law in his truck and took her to the hospital. BTW, he has one of those big chevy trucks 4WD with large tires which made it very difficult to get her into the vehicle without causing further injury. He's a very capable man though, and strong physically, so he was up to the task, and as gentle as possible under the circumstances.

This was New Year's Eve. A piece of advice do your best not to fall down on a holiday. She was admitted to the hospital but was not operated on until this morning at 9:30 AM Arkansas time. Just talked to her, she's out of surgery, in recovery, and seems in as good of spirits as one could be expected to be under the circumstances. My wife has been relaying updates to her two brothers by text all morning long. They had to put a pin in her arm at the break. By a strange coincidence, my son-in-law fell a couple of years ago, and it was several days before they actually took any action on him, finally installing a rod, and other devices in his arm. Maybe it's common to delay on broken bones now, I had always been told they should be reset as quickly as possible after the break to aid healing.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
My sis-in-law fell at her home in Arkansas, she was alone with her five-year-old granddaughter at the time. Later it would be determined that she had not only broken her arm near her right shoulder but dislocated her shoulder as well. She could not get up from where she had fallen, but kept her wits about her, and had her granddaughter fetch her phone from her purse. She was in so much pain, she could not use the phone, but was able to give her granddaughter instructions for accessing the phone, who then called her grandpa who was not far away, he came rushing home, and got my sis-in-law in his truck and took her to the hospital. BTW, he has one of those big chevy trucks 4WD with large tires which made it very difficult to get her into the vehicle without causing further injury. He's a very capable man though, and strong physically, so he was up to the task, and as gentle as possible under the circumstances.

This was New Year's Eve. A piece of advice do your best not to fall down on a holiday. She was admitted to the hospital but was not operated on until this morning at 9:30 AM Arkansas time. Just talked to her, she's out of surgery, in recovery, and seems in as good of spirits as one could be expected to be under the circumstances. My wife has been relaying updates to her two brothers by text all morning long. They had to put a pin in her arm at the break. By a strange coincidence, my son-in-law fell a couple of years ago, and it was several days before they actually took any action on him, finally installing a rod, and other devices in his arm. Maybe it's common to delay on broken bones now, I had always been told they should be reset as quickly as possible after the break to aid healing.
Note to self......add "Do Not Fall" to that list of New Year's Resolutions. ;)

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
Note to self: call 911. Let the pros do their job.

Note #2 to self: keep yer phone handy if yer out by yourself.

I slipped on the front stairs last week and ended up falling into a flat-footed squat from the 2nd step. @ 370lbs, my knees almost gave it up on impact. My first thought: Am I going to be stuck out here all night? I didn't have my phone and Miz Diane is asleep in the bedroom (it was 11pm). Rocket (dog) didn't look too concerned, he had to pee.

Fortunately, I was able to scoot back a bit and sit on the bottom step. After a few minutes, I was able to stand up and carefully climb the steps. No knee issues, thankfully.

Stubee

Doctor of Teleocity
I’m glad the kid was able to help, and not really surprised. The tykes seem smarter than I was 65-odd years ago!

I’ve had a several friends in the past couple years get seriously hurt falling, ranging from a single broken wrist to a very complicated broken hip + leg. The latter guy fell outside while alone on a bitterly cold day. He couldn’t get up nor even crawl, and as he’d just stepped out “for a minute” he wasn’t dressed for the weather. A passing walker saw his bent arm trying to wave out by the cottage before hypothermia or passing out from the pain—which was outta sight—stopped all movement.

He’d moved about 90 miles N of us here in mid-Michigan, and after an ambulance raced him down they determined that our pretty comprehensive regional hospital needed help. A surgeon from Chicago flew up and pinned him back together. He’s actually recovered very well, all considered.

I’m only 71 and not a pronounced faller, but I do go places where if I took a serious spill I’d be in some trouble. I tell folks where I’ll be and carry my phone, which sometimes even works out there.

Last edited:

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
Thank you for posting @Toto’sDad. Both grandparents on my mother’s side died indirectly as a result of falls. My grandfather cracked a vertibra and died of an infection brought on by the fall. My grandmother fell and broke a hip and never got out of bed again. I was out hiking with my dog last weekend and had trouble hiking downhill on wet trails. I lost use of me left eye and no longer gave stereoscopic vision. That’s not a problem climbing, but downhill with an exuberant dog is dangerous. A fall can kill me if it triggers a brain bleed. I’m on blood thinners after stents. I’ve been thinking about falls a lot lately. TD’s post reminds me not to stop thinking about it.

tery

Doctor of Teleocity
My stepmothers father got drunk and fell down his basement steps breaking his neck - R.I.P.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
prayers for a speedy and complete recovery.
Thank you, sir! Not saying this because she's my sis-in-law, she's just a very nice person, and a real family supporter in every way. I've known her since she was seventeen years old, she really is like a kid sister to me.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
All the best. She's blessed the little one was with her.

She only lives about five miles from her son's place, the little one is as apt to be over at grandma's house as she is to be at home. It's amazing that the little one didn't panic, and did indeed do everything she was supposed to do, to help.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Thank you for posting @Toto’sDad. Both grandparents on my mother’s side died indirectly as a result of falls. My grandfather cracked a vertibra and died of an infection brought on by the fall. My grandmother fell and broke a hip and never got out of bed again. I was out hiking with my dog last weekend and had trouble hiking downhill on wet trails. I lost use of me left eye and no longer gave stereoscopic vision. That’s not a problem climbing, but downhill with an exuberant dog is dangerous. A fall can kill me if it triggers a brain bleed. I’m on blood thinners after stents. I’ve been thinking about falls a lot lately. TD’s post reminds me not to stop thinking about it.

I wrote a post about a fall I took at the movie theater a couple of months ago. After what happened to my sis-in-law I realize just how lucky I was. I took really quite a horrific fall, backwards down a staircase between two movie theater seats. Some of the bruises and welts are just now subsiding. I am thankful my sis-in-law is out of surgery, and at least heading towards recovery. BTW, my wife worked with a lady one time who very carefully watched her feet all the time she was walking. My wife asked her why, and the lady replied, "because I've fallen and hurt myself before, and I don't want to do it again."

tubedude

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter

The surgeon has to get films and plan the surgery, and the right sized pins, plates, screws etc. have to be sterilized. Sometimes the hardware is procedure specific, and takes a day to have the vendor bring them in. Also they might have to wait for drugs to take effect, minimizing swollen tissue allowing better access and less damage.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
The surgeon has to get films and plan the surgery, and the right sized pins, plates, screws etc. have to be sterilized. Sometimes the hardware is procedure specific, and takes a day to have the vendor bring them in. Also they might have to wait for drugs to take effect, minimizing swollen tissue allowing better access and less damage.

That makes sense when I stop to think about it. It's not like they would just have the part they needed lying around in the operating room. Also explains why it took so long to fix my son-in-law. Thanks for the info!