1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Single-pickup guitar tricks

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by SixStringSlinger, Nov 22, 2020.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I still don't use guitar tone knobs but you can fix the mud problem by changing the tone cap.
    Typical we see .047, .033 or .022uf, but if I actually install a tone control I use a .01 or even a .001uf.
    While those stock cap values do produce mud tones, the .001uf does not make mud even with the pot rolled all the way off, and the .01 barely gets to mud, while both of those very small value caps only pass frequencies much higher than the highest note on the guitar so you only really lose very high frequencies because the cap only passes to ground frequencies up in the dog ears range.

My feeling is that I get much better tone with the right toned pickup than I get using a pickup that I don't like with the guitar tone control full up. I get that some players base their playing style on setting the amp too loud and too bright, then using the guitars knobs to reign in the amp so they have extra treble and volume right on the guitar.

But I so often read that players can't use the bridge pickup on a Strat or Tele without rolling back the guitars tone control.

That is IMO a different situation!
    You do not need to keep using a bridge pickup that you don't like the basic tone of!

Each player has different ears, styles and habits.
    There are pickups to suit every player, and you needn't use a bridge pickup that hurts your ear wide open!
    I actually get my final eq partly by speaker selection, or by matching speaker to amp so that any amp I use gets a good bridge pickup tone without having to shunt unwanted highs to ground at the guitar.
    That way I can use my whole pickup output, and get either brighter or darker tones with my picking and muting.

I do often wonder when players buy basic classic gear combos and report that the bridge pickup has ice pick tone, when we know that other players using the same gear manage to get tone that is not ice pick shrill.

Our hands are our best tone control, but it takes some time to develop those tone control skills!

2. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

This timing of this topic is excellent for me. My current project is a LP junior DC. I have an Esquire I built a few years ago with the Eldred mod. I really like it. Anyone ever do an Eldred mod using 500K pots and a P90? Any ideas for a single P90?
    IMG_0627.jpg

drlucky, Macrogats and BB like this.
  3. Bearzooka

Bearzooka TDPRI Member

I have a single P90 in my guitar, got it wired up like an Esquire:

Pos. 3 - Vol + Tone
    Pos. 2 - Vol
    Pos. 1 - Straight to jack

There are two tricks I like to do with this setup:

1. Turn the Vol knob all the way down and toggle between positions 1 and 2 for killswitch effects.
    2. Turn the Tone knob all the way down and toggle between positions 2 and 3 for a wah effect.

4. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

If you have to run every control dimed, then you need to try turning up the controls on your amp or get a bigger amp.

The ability to change caps for different tones and clip the tone circuit out of the equation is a good choice too.

Picking styles, picking strength and location can add a lot of different tones.

5. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

With an EQ Pedal you get nearly every sound you need out of your single pickup guitar. I did this for a few month when the bridge Pickup of my Tele was broken

6. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Who puts a tone knob on a cyclops?

Peegoo likes this.
  7. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I'm actually driving so I haven't read any other posts

but as somebody who plays a lot of Blues and I also dig the sound of T-Bone Walker,
    one of my favorite things to do is to put on the neck pickup single coi; it could be a Stratocaster or my danelectro.
    Then actually pick over the bridge pickup close to the bridge.
    Gives you a great combination of hollow nasal yet still warm with that great pick attack. I call it my 'hidden pickup option!'

* edit- to make this sound best, you have to pick straight across the strings/ at a 90° angle ( not at the more natural arc we normally have)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    drlucky likes this.
  8. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

Very cool. Are you using a gibson 3 way switch or a box switch, im guessing a 3 way on/on/on type box switch or mini switch? Or a Tele 3 way switch?
    When you have position 2 at full volume does it sound different than position 3?

9. Bearzooka

Bearzooka TDPRI Member

I'm using a Tele 3 way switch. I used a 500k for the volume and a 250k for the tone (like old LP Jr's), so the loading from the tone pot makes position 3 a little darker then position 2, even with the tone knob on 10.

Danb541 likes this.
  10. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I never use the tone control for the neck pickup, that one's always maxed. but I do find the tone to be very useful on the bridge. That one sits around halfway, so can move in either direction.

11. Tim G

Tim G Tele-Meister

30 posts and everyone but one recommended various electronic solutions. picking poostion and how firmly you hold the pick can create a wide varity of tones. Just picking different places between the end of the fingerboard and the bridge will provide a big change in tone. What it boils down to is practice to get the tone you want.

zeke54 and Jakedog like this.
  12. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Holic

The tone knob is pretty useful on my LP Jr. If I roll it and the volume back, the P90 kind of sounds like a strat neck pickup.

Bella likes this.
  13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

What IS that gray 335 style guitar?
    I WANT one like that!

14. Coffeemutt

Coffeemutt Tele-Meister

I'm loving this thread! Especially the Esquire-type wiring for a single P90 (gonna try that...).

And also pick material type and thickness. A thick acrylic pick is going to impart a markedly different tone than a thin nylon one.

15. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Holic

https://www.artistguitars.com.au/buy/16362 - currently sold out until February.

To get the 'gray', I went over it with a scouring pad to remove the gloss just enough to lose any reflection. I had all the electronics removed, replaced the bridge pickup with a Tonerider Octane, with volume control and blower switch (pickup direct to output jack). And I think the nicest touch was changing the original orange volume control to a black speed knob.

telemnemonics likes this.
  16. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Pfft. Why stop at the end of the fretboard? You can pick or pluck over that as well. Yields some nice warm sounds that still have good clarity and definition.

17. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

18. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

Jakedog likes this.
  19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

ES-165 (Herb Ellis) -- no need for another pup!

[​IMG]

Edgebound, Jakedog and rickthescot like this.
  20. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

i also basically think a guitar tone can never be too bright.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.