1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Single-pickup guitar tricks

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by SixStringSlinger, Nov 22, 2020.

1. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

Single-pickup guitars have a certain something about them. They force you to find ways to do more with less. They have fewer pickups pulling on the strings at all times. They have a certain stripped-down cool.

But another thing I like about single-pickup guitars is that they often have a trick or two up their sleeves. Take an Esquire, which has no business having a pickup selector switch. But flip it to one side and you have have warmed, filtered goodness. Flip it to the other and you may have a direct, unfiltered sound that out-Esquires itself.

What hidden tricks do you have/like in a single-pickup guitar? I want to hear it all. Coil tapping, different caps, kill switches, afterburners, the works.

2. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

Series/Parallel switch if you're running humbuckers. If the song calls for a little less grit, a little more clarity, I'll keep the switch in Parallel, then flick it to Series for the kicker or a solo. It goes the other way 'round too; keep the main riff hot in Series, then flick it to Parallel to cool off with some open chords. The difference is subtle, but noticeable.

3. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Use. The. Tone. Knob.

And also work on picking/strumming in different places (near the bridge, near the end of the neck, and everywhere in between).

I have a few Esquires and Les Paul Juniors, and despite having just one pickup, these guitars have bucketloads of different tones in them.

Bella, zeke54, fakeocaster and 17 others like this.
  4. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Meister

My current project is a '78 Frankenstrat. Single humbucker and single volume knob. No tricks available, other than using the volume to clean it up.

5. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I love series/parallel switches for humbuckers. About 40,000 times more useful than a coil tap or phase switch. Every guitar should come with them.

SixStringSlinger and edvard like this.
  6. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

everything less than max on the tone knob on just about every guitar i've ever played is just mud.

61fury and Jakedog like this.
  7. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

You need to play a few more guitars then...:p

Seriously, different caps, EQ on amp and a dab of tone adjustment, as well as volume adjustment is the key to unlocking seriously great tone. It’s not all about running everything “dimed”...

8. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Holic

Nah, not really.

upload_2020-11-23_17-30-51.png

I'm not really looking for "more" when I do this to a guitar, I'm after the one thing and this setup just gives it to me.

Or if I want something a little different.

upload_2020-11-23_17-38-37.png

9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

2CF0DDA5-6224-4272-8039-6E1F5FA25453.jpeg B38A262E-BC8F-49FD-BFD7-73B32520C2B1.jpeg No tricks!

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

AD2007B0-7266-4984-82F1-54D88A33DB6E.jpeg Tricks are for kids!

galaxiex, Alcee, Nelg and 6 others like this.
  11. AviA

AviA Tele-Meister

I enjoyed reading this post because that's exactly how I feel since I purchased my Squire Esquire in March 2019.
    I'm playing it exclusively since then and it indeed taught me a lesson or two.

1. I am able to play all the covers playlist that my band is usually playing (Pink Floyd, Beatles, Clapton, Police, Stones, Zeppelin and more).

2. you always hear from real professional on how to utilize the knobs on the guitar.
    Well, it is true. I am playing with the volume and tone knobs like I never did before.

BTW, I am so happy with it that it made me buy the Fender 70th anniversary Esquire as soon as I saw it (should be here tomorrow:) )

12. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Holic

There's something very satisfying about having a empty route on a guitar body. Like when after having a tooth pulled and you can't resist placing your tongue where the tooth used to be.

warchol, Edgebound, KyAnne and 2 others like this.
  13. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

And. The. Volume. Knob.

68Telebass, Edgebound and drlucky like this.
  14. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

With 50s wiring, with the guitar’s volume down, you get actually more clarity when rolling down the tone knob slightly.
    I almost never have volume and tone at 100% on my guitars: I pretty much dime the amp and use the sonic palette of the guitar knobs to taste.

Bella likes this.
  15. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

single neck pickup and a bass cut gives you a cool pipa-ish type of sound picking by the bridge

drlucky and SixStringSlinger like this.
  16. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Gotta echo everything on here about the Esquire, I too built one this year with 50’s wiring and man what a versatile guitar......I play in a goth doom metal type of band and although it’s Vintage White and has the ‘wrong’ look for want of a better term, it is a gnarly rocking guitar through an overdrive and the big muff.......

Macrogats and SixStringSlinger like this.
  17. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

No need of a Tone knob.

Use the Vol knob!

Haha.... U extol the virtues of simplicity, then ask..... How have u complicated the wiring, switch, knobs, etc.??

SixStringSlinger likes this.
  18. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

I think part of the problem is many players leave their guitar dimed and adjust their amp to that. My knobs tend to live around "7" or so, and I adjust my amp to that. This gives me plenty of room in either direction for times I need my tone to be a little more this way or that way.

You monster! :eek:

I found an old Squier Tele with a Bigsby on Craigslist for cheap, and decided to Esquire it since I already had a Tele. It's its own kind of fun :cool:

Rock n' roll is to stranger to hypocrisies both real and imagined ;)

zeke54 and Roscoe295 like this.
  19. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

While this discussion includes hardware tricks associated with the single pickup guitar, it's worth mentioning that the most famous single pickup guitar player simply had developed enough style to only require a single pickup and a volume knob.

20. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeppers. Tone knobs are pretty much useless. I’ve even removed them from a lot of my guitars. I never use them on the ones that still have them. Way back in the 80’s before I learned how to wire stuff, I had a strat. The tone knob would somehow always turn itself down. I was about to sell the guitar when an older picker offered to drop a dab of solder where the shaft meets the pot and just lock it wide open. That was my first guitar mod.

I’ve had some guitars that weren’t useable without a tone pot. Those guitars needed pickups. Or different value volume pots. Generally the only knob I want on a guitar is a single volume pot. And that should be full out 100% of the time unless I’m doing volume swells. I will do two volumes on a Les Paul. I can find uses for that. A volume and a pan pot on a tele can be fun.

A tone pot can get you tonal variations, but they all suck IMO. I get far more variety, and keep all my clarity and definition, by varying my pick attack and switching between pick and fingers. It’s about a hundred times more useful than anything a tone pot can do.

Danb541 and telemnemonics like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.