Single P90 in the bridge - 0.015 uF or 0.022 uF tone cap?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Verzila, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Verzila

Verzila Tele-Meister

I'm thinking of swapping the 0.022uF tone cap on my single P90 guitar in favour of a 0.015 uF cap. I hear it makes for a thicker, richer tone. Anyone have any experience of this mod and can give any comments?

Thanks

2. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Holic

Haha..... One man's thicker, richer is another man's muddy n dull.

6stringcowboy and dcos like this.
  3. guspac88

guspac88 Tele-Meister

Depends if you dislike the curve of your current pot, or are having trouble rolling off enough highs. If not, it won't do you any good.

4. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

A smaller cap means less highs rolled off, but in this case too little difference to make a difference.

bblumentritt likes this.
  5. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Meister

Lose the tone completely.

6. tubejockey

tubejockey Tele-Holic

With a single pickup, I would probably pick my cap based on the tone I want with the pot on 0, then add a tapering resistor if needed to spread the sweet spot out. This makes for a tone control that is easy to dial in and sounds good everywhere. For a P90 I typically like somewhere in the 6.8nF to .01uF range with a 500k pot. I prefer to choose a linear taper pot and add a resistor to tailor it rather than an audio taper pot.

7. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Give it a try!

It won't give you a richer tone, but it will mean that highs get cut off starting at a higher frequency. This could mean that you can cut off the high ice pick, while still keeping enough mids (the 'meat' of your sound), but it could also mean that your tone control becomes too subtle and doesn't do enough anymore.

I think you'll be ok with either. Like I said, give it a try, caps are cheap and the mod is easily reversible.

W.L.Weller likes this.
  8. Mahogany

Mahogany Tele-Meister

This.

And use a 1 meg pot for volume.

9. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I disagree, a tone control is very useful for getting different sounds.

middy, wabashslim and BB like this.
  10. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

With the generally large tolerances in capacitors, there's a good chance the measured values coud be close enough to make little difference.

bblumentritt likes this.
  11. ctmullins

ctmullins Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

12. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Afflicted

I like having the Tone control I use a 0.022 without the 50,s wiring,I like to dial in were that Mid range string thunk is happening.I tried 50,s and had to go back,Your going to have to experiment some to find your Happy place.
    It works for me with the rest of the gear Im using.

13. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Meister

Then how are guitar stores going to make any money if you only buy one guitar that can do everything?

So selfish, AJ.

14. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I don't believe that I said that a tone control can make "every possible sound, thereby making all other guitars superfluous". I thought I was clear: a tone control allows you to make various different sounds. Bonamassa for example has a cool video with a Les Paul where he shows what you can do with the controls.
    No one is arguing that a tone control can make every sound, I have no idea why you're suggesting I or anyone else said that.

If you have no use for a tone control that's up to you and perfectly fine, but that isn't the OP's question.

Please don't derail this discussion: the fact is that most guitarists (and in particular the person who started this thread) use the tone control and find it useful.
    He seems to want to adjust the tone control to suit his needs, not dump it entirely.

15. SammyC

SammyC TDPRI Member

I've just installed a P90 in the bridge with a 4.7nF cap on the tone control.

I've been really pleased with the sound, it rolls off the top edge of the sound, keeps it bright, without making it sound muddy like bigger caps can. Sounds compressed rather than muted if that makes any sense.

16. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Smaller values roll off less treble (or, really, they start rolling off at a higher frequency). .022 and .015 are not very different. It's not going to be a "thicker richer tone", but it might stay a little brighter in the upper mids when you roll back the control. I'm a fan of small tone caps.
    You might get more bang for buck by adding a switch, or push/pull to remove the tone pot from the circuit entirely.

17. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Run test leads out of your control cavity, alligator clips. Get an assortment of caps, cheap ceramics work just fine. Now you can try out the various values you are curious about, then just install the one you select.

18. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

.015 and .022 are extremely different. I've been trying different caps in one guitar, but could never get rid of the cap sound altogether with 500k ohm pots even all the way upHaven't tried 1M, but I found no pots (edit: or caps in the circuit) too bright in another guitar where I just used tone caps. Much smaller values seem to work better there.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  19. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Have you considered a no load tone pot? When turned all the way up, the tone circuit is completely out of the circuit.
    Not a huge difference, but slightly brighter at 10.

You can make one yourself by scraping away some of the carbon trace inside a pot.

20. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

No, have not considered because I'm not interested in the sounds it can offer. I actually like the way the caps color the sound.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.