1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Single nicest acoustic guitar you've ever played

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Dreadnut, Aug 15, 2020.

1. biblebound

biblebound TDPRI Member

I've owned and played many nice acoustic guitars. I'm fortunate to own a 1946 Gibson J45 that was originally my father's, but it's certainly not the best sounding guitar I own or have played. I must say, my D-18GE is probably the best or one of the best sounding acoustics I've played. I once played a very nice rosewood Collings Dread that was very, very nice as well.

2. Terrygh1949

Terrygh1949 Tele-Meister

I decided to try a Taylor and, see what all the good there was about it. I did purchase a 314 model. It was beautiful well made very good playing and sounding guitar. I plugged it into my Fishman Artist and, then into my Bose L1, OK sounds pretty good. Decided to do an AB comparison with a few other acoustic electric guitars that I have. First a Breedlove concert and, then a Epi Hummingbird pro. The Taylor's electronics were sad compared to these two guitars. One more, I have a Mitchell dread cutaway Fishman electronics and, it put the Taylor to pure shame.
    My point here is that a high dollar brand name guitar doesn't always mean a guaranteed result. $1300 compared to a $250 guitar didn't yeild a overwhelming result. The Taylor went back for a refund. The Breedlove was the best and, actually the Mitchell was next with the Epi coming in last. I sold the Epi for that reason. Just knew that I wouldn't play it very much. I would definately buy another Mitchell It was everything I wanted in a guitar for a Great price! I couldn't believe how nice it was right out of the box. Great looking, nice workmanship, feel, no sharp fret ends that's something I will judge a guitar by, unplugged sound was great and, plugged in was excellent. No setup was needed out of the box, tuned up and was playing. Cheapest guitar I've ever bought and, I must say a very good buy. I have had the opportunities to play very expensive guitars and, yes they were nice but, I believe it's the musician that makes the difference period.

3. Bbjork

Bbjork TDPRI Member

I bought a Guild D-40 in 1967, it’s a boomer.

4. jdm61

jdm61 Tele-Holic

Back in 2006, I bought a Martin HD-28V off of EvilBay. I don’t remember precisely what year it was, but it was like the first or second year of actual production. I was told that previously, it was available as a “type 15” from the custom shop. Story was that it was basically a reproduction of a 1937 D28 With all the desirable features. A buddy of mine had a D 42 JC and a very nice D45 and liked my guitar the beat. Unfortunately it was “lost in the fire” of the 2008 crash.

5. Tjeppen

Tjeppen TDPRI Member

Except for a high end Ovation (which I absolutely did NOT like) I haven't really played expensive acoustics, but of all the acoustics I have ever played my Fender Gemini is my favourite

6. dunehunter

dunehunter Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

It was a Martin on display down at a guitar shop in Bloomington, Indiana back in the early 70's. The spruce top had been--sat on?--but someone had basically glued that top back together. I have no idea how the bracing would've been handled.

So, looked like an old canoe paddle. But my gosh, did it sound lovely. At the time, they were asking something like $350 for it and I looked high and low for stuff to sell to come up with the money. It was that good. I can't even tell you what model it was. I was just a kid and didn't know that much about acoustic guitars (or anything else, for that matter--and they thought I should be voting? :eek:). I know it was a dread, and probably a D-18 as I don't remember it being particularly fancy--like herringbone, etc.

Alas, I was young and broke. But that guitar's tone still haunts me today.

7. aadvark

aadvark Tele-Meister

tough question!

as earlier poster, they are good for different things.

my '43 000-18 fingerstyle
    my '67 for strumming and singing.
    my '50 J-50 for everything and anything else.

8. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

My Martin OM-21. Best fingerstyle flattop that I've, personally, ever played.

9. bananafist

bananafist Tele-Meister

My 2011 Martin 00042, bought used. I'm not wild about the 'dead shellfish' all over it, and the neck is more V'd than I'd like, but the sound is what does it for me. Best sounding acoustic I've ever played.

10. jvmalan

jvmalan TDPRI Member

11. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted

Back in the early 1980s, a friend bought a 1967 Martin 000-28, made with Brazilian rosewood. I've never played a better sounding (and better playing) guitar.

12. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Larrivee J10E

13. TMGCUSTOM

TMGCUSTOM TDPRI Member

Most Goodall's I've played, but my 1961 J-45 is hard to beat..

14. Sequimite

Sequimite Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

The guitar which felt the best to me and also sounded great was a Martin 000-28EC which I played at Dusty Strings.

I've really tried to avoid dreadnoughts because I find them uncomfortable, but the best sounding guitar I've ever played is a dreadnought, a one-off prototype with a Tacoma flagship DR-38 body, a top of the line Olympia neck and a top of the line Orpheum OD-38SWR ebony fretboard. I've never played another guitar that felt so alive in my hands, was so rich in overtones on every single fret with the kind of "chime" that you normally hear ascribed to excellent tube amps. (by "chime" I mean that it sounds like orchestral chimes) Others who have played all the guitars I have might well pick a different one but subjectively the Olympia OD-38SWR is the best.

[​IMG]

15. Lance Morgan

Lance Morgan TDPRI Member

I’ve thought about it for awhile now, and honestly I’ve played so many nice guitars, I couldn’t name just one. Maybe my White Falcon, 125th Anniversary model. Or my Taylor 610CE-L7. Or my #10 Hibler Tele. Or my Seafoam Les Paul Classic. Or even the limited run Jazzmaster. Or the 61 Les Paul (SG) with PAFs. Or the 1998 Collector’s Tele. Or any of my Strats. Or my Heritage 555.

I have played lots of friends’ guitars too, that are real nice. It’s just hard to say which is the nicest.

16. Telefan65

Telefan65 Tele-Meister

I’ve only played two that qualify and I bought both of them. (1) My 2002 Martin 12 fret CEO-5 (2) My 1992 Guild D4NT. I’ve played many acoustic guitars over the years All brands and these two just have an incredible tone and it’s not just my ears. Other folks have remarked on how good they sound.

17. davedederer

davedederer TDPRI Member

Was on tour...95 or 96...stepped into a small music store in Minneapolis or St. Paul, can't recall, pulled a Lowden off the wall...played it for an hour...25 years later still regret not buying it. Cedar top, medium body size, slightly wide neck, like a perfect hybrid of the nicest steel string and nicest nylon string you've ever played.

unfamous likes this.
  18. bigdaddy

bigdaddy TDPRI Member

Years ago, I had the opportunity to visit Gruhn Guitars in Nashville. I’m a big Martin fan and got to hold/strum some really expensive pre-war Martin guitars.

That said, I own actually own the two nicest guitars I’ve really been able to play:

‘93 Fender American Telecaster ‘52 Reissue (I bought new and it’s still gorgeous)

‘16 Martin D-18E Retro (bought last year from a studio - still in mint condition and looks, plays, sounds amazing). The Retro line is like a “reissue” built to pre-WW2 specs.

19. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

My 1977 D28 I bought from Sparks Music in Arkansas City, KS right after the World Flatpicking Championship in Winfield, KS. Back then I thought I'd become a bluegrass afficienado but my built in talent said something different. It's a typical wonderful loud D28.

telemaster03 likes this.
  20. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

The best instrument I own is a Collings Mandolin my late wife bought me at Gruhns. Which is at least a little bit ironic for two reasons.
    It was her birthday. And of all the instruments I might play in public, the mandolin is certainly the weakest link in the chain.

The best instrument I ever played was a Gilchrist mandolin at Carters. We had met Stephen Gilchrist in a bar earlier in the week; he's a super nice guy. So even though it was way out of my price range, I picked up a Gilchrist and played for about 15 seconds. It sounded so good my wife thought we should buy it. But we would have needed to put a second on the house.

:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.