1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Single (NECK) Pickup Esquires

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by markesquire, Apr 13, 2009.

1. markesquire

markesquire Tele-Afflicted

Has anyone ever built one of these? The tele neck has always been my favorite pickup. I always wandered what a GREAT tele pickup (even a charlie christian) would sound like with an esquire wiring, permitting a switch option that sends the neck pickup STRAIGHT out to the amp.

2. weiner71

weiner71 Tele-Meister

I want to see this

3. sekt88

sekt88 Banned

Deciding on whether to make a pickguard or order a bridge with no pickup route. Currently, it has a Häussel P90. An HArmonic Design z90 is next at bat.
    Allparts TMO-Fat neck, actually it is obese, but plays like butter with three coats of french polish. The body is a single piece Swamp Ash from which I removed the nitrofinish and hit it with a black french polish then sanded it back for a mild relic look.

Attached Files:

4. DILLIGAF?

DILLIGAF? Tele-Meister

Sounds very interesting. Personally I would wire it:
    1. Volume and Tone
    2. Volume only
    3. Direct to amp

I think it would sound amazing with a P90 or a Charlie Christian pickup.

5. Mightyaxeman

Mightyaxeman Tele-Afflicted

Someone posted this before.

Attached Files:

6. markesquire

Agreed. Lollar Charlie Christian wired to go straight to amp would be unadulterated tonal bliss, but wouldn't make for a very "practical" build.

7. markesquire

I can just see a creative Creston Guitars build now . . . . Like the e5quire was customized to only have 5 pickup magnets, 5 tuners, and 5 ferrules (http://www.crestonguitars.com/gallery/detail.php?gid=79), the NECKSQUIRE would have a traditional bridge plate, but with no holes for a bridge pickup or mounting screws. Also, it could be wired BACKWARDS from an esquire, so the "straight through" setting happened when the switch was in the "neck" position. A very cool idea.

8. IrishMail

IrishMail Tele-Meister

A month ago, I finished a neck-pup-only build for the $100 challenge. By using a rail-type, I could also coil-split it by pulling up on the volume.

Also incorporated was a Gretsch-style 3-way tone switch instead of a pot. Middle position still used the volume, but skipped touching any of the caps. Here's the wiring:
    [​IMG]

The entire build thread is still up, and while it didn't place in the top three, it was in the top ten (since there were only nine finishers!). The "Spa-Caster" thread is at:
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/2009-%24100-tele-challenge/148300-completed-spa-caster-tdpri-%24100-telecaster-challenge.html

9. DILLIGAF?

DILLIGAF? Tele-Meister

IrishMail, that's a cool looking guitar. Did you use some parts from a Squier '51?

10. kayarcee

kayarcee TDPRI Member

Irish- do you have a soundclip of the Spacaster? I'd love to hear it.

11. bingy

bingy Friend of Leo's

Bad GAS! That thing is beautiful. I am always a sucker for the hybrids.

[​IMG]

12. IrishMail

IrishMail Tele-Meister

Thanks! Yes, my Squier '51 has a new pg from GFS that covers the controls, so I recycled the control plate AND the original pg for the $100 Challenge build.

Sorry, no soundclip yet, but I played it for a local gathering today, and it's hot enuf with the Lil Killer pup wide open. The tone switch only goes to a .01 or .02 cap, so it never really gets down in the mud.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.