Single Coils Suck. Humbuckers Rule.

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Bluego1, Jun 6, 2019.

Single coil or humbucker? Yes, those are your options, though discussion is encouraged

1. Single coil

162 vote(s)
    83.9%
  2. Humbucker

31 vote(s)
    16.1%
  1. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I really like the TV Jones Classic+ best.
    It is slightly hotter than a Classic.
    Great sounding pickups!

DHart likes this.
  2. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

https://www.reverendguitars.com/guitars/double-agent-w

3. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

If I were going to outfit a guitar with a P90/Humbucker combo, I’d more than likely put the P90 in the bridge. Bridge pickups, other than Telecaster bridge pickups tend to be too wimpy for my liking. I put a set of those Seymour Duncan Phat Cat humbucker sized P90’s in my semi hollowbody Ibanez Artist and now I switch to the bridge on purpose.

Although I’m on a single coil kick, I’ve got a couple of Humbuckers I like and I like them in the neck so that’s I would approach a humbucker/P90 combo. I’d go with one of those Phat Cat’s in the bridge and a Seymour Duncan Screamin Demon in the neck. The Screamin Demon is a bit of a misnomer. It’s not a crazy hot pickup. It’s maybe 7k - 8k but it has a lot of high midrange sparkle and sounds good clean or with dirt. I may do a Tele with that setup.

Mincer likes this.
  4. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

As I've said before, since I've been playing single coils for 50 years, my whole style, and the way I attack the strings, is based on single coils, or more accurately Fender single coils, 'cause I can't even make P90 sound good. I love the way P90s and HBs sound when others use them, but I can't get them to work for me.
    Rick and Gretsch single coils work better for me, but still not as well as Fender single coils. And I'm still undecided on Filtertrons.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    chrisr0712 likes this.
  5. stanger

stanger Tele-Meister

While I'm still a diehard Tele guy, I do miss a Lindy Fralin floating humbucker much more than the guitar it came on.

I was sad to see it go, but it sure helped me sell a doggy tune unit real fast.

regards,
    stanger

6. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

I think one of the things that really made me bond with mini humbuckers was that they feel a lot like singles. I’ve played SCs for years and minis “feel” very similar, they have a similar way of responding to pick attack, etc. Most minis I like are not very hot, 6.5k neck and 7k bridge which is about in line with Tele output.
    The Fidelitrons Fender is using didn’t impress me. I’ve been a Filter’tron fan for years and they seem to be missing something. I have used the TV-J supertrons and love them in the neck and I really like the TV Classic Plus in the bridge. The Magnatron is a good neck if you want more single coil sound in the neck, I haven’t tried the bridge but it might be good there too in a Tele if you want a twangy Tele. I’ve wanted to try the powertrons too, they are supposed to be a cross between a Filter’tron and a PAF style humbucker.

7. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I think people who say one is good and the other is bad clearly don’t get it, because they both suck compared to piezos

P Thought likes this.
  8. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Firebirds, enough said.

DaphneBlue likes this.
  9. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

Piezo pickups have come a long way from where they were. I’ve had a couple of older under bridge and ceramic embedded piezo that were just brittle and harsh and picked up every touch and movement but the newer ones sound good. I still find them a bit prone to picking up unwanted noise though.
    I still think those small humbuckers like minis, Firebirds, old Guild LB-1s and Filter’trons can strike good middle ground between a single coil and a PAF humbucker.

Zepfan likes this.
  10. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I can't imagine being more indifferent on this topic. I don't care at all what anyone else thinks about this. I don't even care what I think about this.

I read 129 posts, however, before I realized this.

Ex-riverman, Bruxist, Bluego1 and 2 others like this.
  11. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Yeah my serious answer was going to be similar to yours re: Firebird or Filtertrons.

Honestly they all have their place depending on style of music and your personal preference.

12. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I like the Rod piezo more than those round piezos. I have an acoustic CBG style guitar with acoustic strings, but I put one of those Flatpup's on it and it works great. Even with the acoustic strings.

13. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

The more I think about this the more I realize how easy it is to go back and forth on this depending on the day. In the last week or so of sitting around in the evening playing guitar a bit I’ve played a Strat, a p90 solid body, a 335 clone with humbuckers, a SG with minis and a Tele with a mini neck, Strat mid and Tele bridge pickup. They all sound good too! I like swapping around, different tones can be fun and keeps you from burning out on one particular sound.
    On gigs I will say I have been playing minis more than anything lately, they really cut through the mix and are quiet.

14. ToneGrail

ToneGrail Tele-Meister

For me singles for clean and slightly hairy. For crunch and beyond, humbuckers.

Bluego1 likes this.
  15. mefgames

mefgames Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Did you really post a slam on single coils on THE Tele forum ???

Bluego1 likes this.
  16. Ianpb

Ianpb TDPRI Member

Having a humbucker in the neck position makes no sense because it's effectively asking for mud. If there's going to be mix of humbucker and single coil pickups, then the single should be placed in the neck position with the humbucker at the bridge.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    Bluego1 likes this.
  17. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

Keep the HBs and leave me to my SC - Fender, DeArmond, P90s...

Bluego1 likes this.
  18. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

They both suck and they both rule depending on whose fingers are running the show.

Bluego1 likes this.
  19. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Sometimes humbuckers do suck. And sometimes they rock!

Single coils... almost never suck.

awasson and Bluego1 like this.
  20. larsjm

larsjm TDPRI Member

Actually, the pickup that blows all others out of the water are the old DeArmond-Rowe "silver foils" that they used to put in cheap guitars from Silvertone and Harmony. Seriously, if you have never tried these, you are missing out. Although they are single coil, they even blow humbuckers out of the water for volume. You can't touch them. Whatever guitar you're using with whatever volume level you're at, if you switch over to a guitar that has one of these silver foils in it, you would swear you just doubled the volume of your amp. They are hot, punchy, and just plain LOUD...but also sound amazing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.