Single Coils Suck. Humbuckers Rule.

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Bluego1, Jun 6, 2019.

Single coil or humbucker? Yes, those are your options, though discussion is encouraged

1. Single coil

162 vote(s)
    83.9%
  2. Humbucker

31 vote(s)
    16.1%
  1. Orpingtons

Orpingtons Tele-Meister

Sin
    Not the same as a real single coil.

2. SpeyFly

SpeyFly Tele-Meister

There's something special about alnico II's and an alder body.

DSC_0075-001.JPG

Bruxist and Bluego1 like this.
  3. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Holic

I have two electric guitars. One is a Firebird with mini humbuckers and I love the crunch. I also love the smoothness of my Jazzmaster.

I will keep you posted on which one I decide to throw in the garbage.

TLR_ likes this.
  4. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I've got two or three guitars with humbuckers in them, but they don't get played much. I've got a Strat copy that's got the universal rout thing, and I've had different combinations of humbuckers and single coils in it, but it's currently S/S/S, and I like it best that way.

For me, perfection with a neck pickup means a Strat pickup, with a decent Tele neck pickup (something that doesn't have a lot of treble rolled off) being in fairly close second place.

As far as bridge pickups go, I've almost been happy with some humbuckers, but hotter wound single coils just typically do it better for me.

For whatever reason, I don't tend to need a Tele bridge pickup that is wound as hot as what I typically prefer with a Strat bridge pickup. I rewire the Strats to have a tone control on the bridge pickup, too.

I grew up with the same classic rock "Gibson into a Marshall" sounds too, but my favorite rock guitar tones are probably what Ritchie Blackmore made - definitely have the cut of single coils, but with more girth, thanks to the tape player's preamp that he fed into the front end of his Marshalls. So in the end, I guess it's not one guitar or pickup vs. another, or one style of amp vs. another, but is the whole rig, including what would be a pedal today, in between the guitar and amp.

5. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

That’s actually a great assessment, imo.

6. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Holic

Single Coils Suck. Humbuckers Rule.
    I guess it depends.....Who's playing?

awasson likes this.
  7. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

Is anybody aware that by 1959 Gibson was talking about getting out of the solid body business?
    Their PAF loaded guitars were all sitting in the showrooms while Fender and Gretsch could not build guitars fast enough.

8. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

I'm not cool enough to play a humbucker guitar.

Bluego1 likes this.
  9. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

Ballz out rock got'sta have HB's. Everything I want to make sense of needs singles.

Gibson 57's are my favorite production HB. They're still somewhat articulate until you don't want them to be.

I have limited time with real P-90's but have been Rockin P-Rails (with Triple Shot rings) instead for 5 or 6 years. I'm not going to pretend they sound just like anything but they cover a lot of ground. Great for your back-up guitar.

Last weekend I saw a Blues Band where the lead guitar player was using a mini humbucker loaded tribute Les Paul. Really made me think about trying some minis out.

Bluego1 likes this.
  10. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

Tele pickups have the baseplate which boosts mids & lows & adds output.

Soon I'm going to try a plate on my custom 69 Strat pickups as I'm curious how much difference it will really make. Those could really use some fattening up IMO.

11. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Afflicted

I played nothing but humbuckers for probably about 20 years. I still have 3 guitars with humbuckers in them. A Dean ML with the Dimebucker and I believe a LP in the neck. The second one is a Peavey Mystic with the high output coil tapped hbs from the early 80’s and the last is a Jackson Kelly with an EMG 81 bridge and 89 neck. Since I got my tele the double coils stay in their cases. They are just too muddy sounding to me now and too much feedback. If they didn’t have some sentimental attachment for me I’d probably just sell them and be done with buckers for good. Maybe I should just sell the pickups and put single coils in all the guitars. :D The sweet spot for me is the middle position on my tele.

awasson likes this.
  12. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

I have three guitars with Filtertrons. I'm pretty sure I like those.

Boomhauer likes this.
  13. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

I never got along with humbuckers with the exception of Filter’Trons for years. Then I tried mini humbuckers, I really love minis! It’s a shame nobody makes a set of full PAF size buckers that are 6-6.5k neck and 7-7.5k bridge. Much hotter wind and it seems like the lows and low-mids turn to mud.
    If it wasn’t for minis I would probably be a single coil player though.

14. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

I played mostly humbuckers for years, but i was never happy with the clean sound. I play cleaner now, so single coils work better for me, and sound great with overdrive. i do have Lawrence L-280's in my Strat, but they sound pretty single coil to me.

GuitarPlayerFL likes this.
  15. GuitarPlayerFL

GuitarPlayerFL TDPRI Member

I only use series humbuckers for big distortion. If I use humbuckers at all, they are usually in parallel mode.

16. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

And now that people know better, those PAF solid body Gibsons are fetching more than most people spend on a house.

17. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I used to be all humbuckers all the time but that’s all changed now. Humbuckers do that thing they do very well but I find I get more tonal flexibility from single coils.

I think it changed for me when I rethought my effects chain for a less processed and more stripped down sound. ...Or maybe I rethought my effects chain as a result of moving to singles. I can’t say for sure but the net result is that with my current single coil setup, I get more of a vocal tone from my guitars when I kick in a dirt pedal and go from clean to overdrive.

I even put humbucker sized P90’s in my Ibanez AS100 (semi hollowbody). Now I’ve only got one guitar with humbuckers left. They’re A2 that I put in an 81 Ibanez Artist solid body and sound great but everything else has singles.

18. mrmousey

mrmousey Tele-Meister

Each has it's own Magic, but I find myself more often in single coil territory
    At the moment my #1 is a Goldtop w/P-90's
    Gives me a good middle ground, though at times I yearn for more of the "Fender Single coil" flavor ...................

19. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I don't think that accounts for my preference, because I have some Tele bridge pickups without the baseplate.

Also, I believe that forumite Antigua Tele did some tests with and without the baseplate, and the data showed that the effects were mostly or entirely negligible. It seems that the baseplate is too far away to really have an effect on things.

That said, I think the bridge plate does have an actual discernible effect, and most of my Teles have the old stamped steel plate on them.

20. mrmousey

mrmousey Tele-Meister

You Rascal !!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.