1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Single coils and ground question

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Voicing 13, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

Good day,

I have recently assemble a tele from two different guitars. One was a Samick and the other Johnson. I am concerned that I may not grounded the guitars properly.

1. I used the electronics of the Samick which I don't remember making much noise for a single coils guitar.
    2. It also did not have a ground from the bridge to the control pot but rather a ground coming from the baseplate of the bridge pickup.
    3. The new guitar makes a fair amount of noise in position 1&3 that doesn't go away when I touch the strings. It's, obviously, quite in position 2.
    4. I've lent the guitar to a student and the room she practices in is full of light dimmers.

It is just normal single coil behavior or should I run a ground wire from the bridge? Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Light dimmers are most likely the cause. With the guitar see if the strings are grounded to the output jack. I would take a DVM & check continuity. Add a ground wire if necessary. On old Tele's the ground was through the baseplate which the strings passed through, thereby grounding the strings.

3. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Not sure if this can help too but I built a tele partscaster with a MIM body and Musikraft neck and was getting some static and general hum/buzz from time to time when touching the strings and neck. I placed a long flat piece of standard kitchen aluminum foil into the channel between the pots and the neck pup and then laid down under the pickguard and control plate under the top screw and then screwed down through the foil. All foil hidden under pickguard and control plate. Static all gone since.

4. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

If there is a metal bridge pickup backing plate, and if it's connected to the ground side of the circuit (there would be a little jumper from the eyelet where the pickup lead connects) then you do already have a string-ground. The pickup baseplate makes contact with the bridge plate via the pickup mounting screws. That's the same thing as having a bare wire squished under the bridge plate. From there the connection is made via the saddles to the strings and to your hands, which will only quiet some of the single coil noise but by no means all of it.

It's easy to test to see if you have a string ground connection using a volt-ohm meter looking for continuity between the bridge plate and the nut on the output jack.

5. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Aluminum seems to have some properties that uniquely help with dimmer switches. Something about the ALu, because copper shielding doesn't offer the same protection. This is why I like to shield with copper and aluminum.

6. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

Hey,

First I want to thank you all for the info and my apologies for not getting back to you. Summer vacation got the better of me.

That being said, from the replies and some checking on my end, the guitar seems fine. My micro-coils even hum a little at my student's place. I brought a better amp as well which helped.

Thanks again!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.