1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Single Coil Sounding Humbucker?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Wamba, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Wamba

Wamba TDPRI Member

I searched but didn't find the question I want to ask.

I'm looking for a telecaster replacement pickup that still sounds like a tradition tele pickup but is actually a humbucker.

I'm also looking for a single coil sized humbucker for the tele but sounding more like a PAF.

Thanks.

2. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Humbucker sized, or tele sized?

If tele sized -- Seymour Duncan Vintage Stack.

For the second question, Seymour Duncan Lil' 59 for Tele.

3. Wamba

Wamba TDPRI Member

Sorry, single coil size.

4. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Bridge / Neck / Both?
    Guessing from the wording both ... but ...?

5. Wamba

Wamba TDPRI Member

I think I need some more coffee...

Both.

waparker4 likes this.
  6. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

Ha! This is exactly my recommendation.

waparker4 likes this.
  7. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

4way switch wiring. It’s amazing. IMHO, It gives the warmth that the broadcaster had.

SonsOfMoog likes this.
  8. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

So, think I'm correct in that you're after single coil size HB pickups for Telecaster Neck & Bridge ... so, presumably you've already checked out ...

https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickups/guitars/telecaster.... or these
    http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/tele/hum-canceling?view=grid

From those, if none of those sound right to you ... you need to go custom made, which shouldn't be that much more expensive. If you're UK based - Creamery/Bareknuckle/Littleguitarshop etc will all deliver what you want - if elsewhere - I'm sure there'll be a good place nearby that can accommodate your request.

BUT, imho and without knowing how much into modding you are/gear you play through etc ... pots and caps etc may well need changing too and I'm glad I've got a 2 ch amp as, my experience with a G&L ASAT single Bridge and humbucker Neck ... switching between neck and bridge needs them.

Finally and, of course, my problem's not yours but ... just to really help here :rolleyes: .... I'm currently leaning towards putting a P90 (probably Bareknuckle Mississippi Queen as its HS size) at the neck instead of the HB!

9. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

SD li'l' '59 bridge.

Teleterr likes this.
  10. billgwx

billgwx Tele-Meister

Check these out: https://lawingmusicalproducts.com/tele

A year ago I installed the Zexcoil Legacy Convertible pickups for both the bridge and the neck, with a toggle switch for each to allow either a classic single-coil tone, or a heavier-but-still-bright humbucker-like tone, and they are fantastic. They get rid of the 60-cycle hum, and so are pretty quiet. Still have to live with a little buzz though because of the Tele bridge itself, more of a pain when playing at high gain, but that's also where the twang lives.

Teleterr likes this.
  11. SonsOfMoog

SonsOfMoog Tele-Meister

Another vote for a 4 way switch with both pickups in series.

The Duncan lil' 59 is an affordable option as well. It can be coil tapped for that single coil sound, although it's tone may need a bit of EQ'ing.

Teleterr likes this.
  12. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

The baby 71 from creamery comes to mind, or the Seymour Duncan stag mag. Both incorporate Alnico rods instead of a bar magnet underneath, which will give you a more single coil quality. The baby 71 is going to be more traditional output, where the stag mag runs pretty hot!

13. jamieorc

jamieorc Tele-Holic

Wilde pickups. There are three main choices, the L-290/280 series, the L-200 series, and the L-48/L-45 series. All are fantastic.

* 290 Older full range humbucking pickup
    * 200 Traditional Tele sound from a humbucking pickup
    * 48 Twin blade, full range humbucking pickup with more output and range than the 290

There is also the 298, which is like a super-charged 200.

I've used all but the 200L (lead). I like full range pickups rather than the narrower, notched traditional Fender sound. They are all fantastic. I like the 298L, 290L and 48L. Currently, I have the L-48TL and L-45 in my Tele and love them. (There is no L-48/L-45 Tele neck, you have to use the Strat pickup or one of Wilde's other Tele neck pickups if you want that size.)

You'll find lots of love for Wilde pickups on this site.

http://www.wildepickups.com

Jamie

14. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

+1 on the L-290TL. Set your amp right, use the tone controls, and the range of tone in that pickup is amazing. Its basic tone is clean, but responds well to your picking dynamics. The L-280TN neck pickup is a perfect match. My ad copy from when I sold a pair of these...

L-280TN neck, clear and articulate, magnets are nearly flush with no stagger, designed to be used without a cover and a Fender cover will not fit.

L-290TL bridge, clear and articulate, strong mids, magnets have a slight stagger that's an improvement over the typical Fender stagger, copper-clad fiber baseplate, baseplate ground is separate from the coil.

Both have a "transparent" quality that reproduces the sound of the guitar itself and can produce a wide range of tones by using your guitar's controls and varying your picking dynamics. Both pickups can get a traditional Fender tele tone: you have to set the height correctly and use the controls to make it happen.

"All L-290 models blend and balance well with each other and in various combinations with the L-280. In fact, my personal American Standard Tele is equipped with an L-280TN and an L-290TL." -Bill Lawrence

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.