Single Coil Sized Humbucker Advice

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by AxeDr, Nov 14, 2018.

1. AxeDr

AxeDr TDPRI Member

Hi All, so I'm new here. I have a G&L Bluesboy Tele that I installed a Dimarzio Tone Zone T in. Very happy with it, but I wish it had more low end punch.

I love modding guitars, this one especially. I gave it a 3rd volume pot. All 3 pots are bourn's 500k push/pull for coil splits and phase shifting. I love the middle positions tone, bright and sparkly with plenty of bass. People compliment the clarity often.

I am a tinkerer and would like to try another single coil sized Humbucker. Something with a bit more low end punch than the Dimarzio Tone Zone T.

Do you guys have any experience or suggestions? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

Stringbanger likes this.
  2. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

No advice from me, but welcome to the TDPRI. You will get tons of helpful advice here.

3. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Hmmm, dunno about the pickup. Welcome though!

There is a pickups sub-forum - you may get a better response there.

4. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Alls I got is duncan jb jr -lower mid punch.

Nubs likes this.
  5. cntry666

cntry666 Friend of Leo's

I used a Dimarzio Pre-B1 I liked a lot. I’m sure the Duncan Hot Tele would work as well. I’ve actually had more luck getting a hotter single coil than using a humbucker single coil size. Tonerider Hot Tele was great too.

6. FrankJames

FrankJames Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome to the forum !!

7. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

I had a Duncan Lil' '59 for awhile and really liked it.

Mincer and Wally like this.
  8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The SD lil ‘59 is a great pickup, imho. Switched from series to parallel, it yields a convincing Strat sound....but without the noise.

Mincer likes this.
  9. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

A Quarter Pound, while not a humbucker, has that, as well as an SSL-6. The single sized humbuckers have an EQ like a humbucker, slightly scooped, so that might not work.

jrblue likes this.
  10. Wally

11. MagicTwanger

MagicTwanger Tele-Meister

Welcome AxeDR! I have a Gibson PAF for my neck pickup. To get the low end punch and not overpower the bridge I removed the upper 6 pole screws. After balancing the two pickups' heights for even volume, it works great.

12. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

I like the Joe Bardens

13. AxeDr

AxeDr TDPRI Member

Wow that's really interesting, can I ask what hotter single coils you've liked? I hadn't really considered that option.

14. AxeDr

AxeDr TDPRI Member

Thank you all for the warm welcome and the feedback about pickups. It seems the JB Jr. and the Lil '59 are well liked and popular. Now I just gotta choose. Again thanks so much!

Mincer likes this.
  15. Wally

AxeDr, my thought on the subject is that I prefer the scooped thing in my pickups. Ommv... I find I would rather add mids if wanted in the chain with an EQ pedal or in the amp. I am the same way with speakers. I can always take certain tones away with amp controls, but I have to have the low end and good high harmonic content to start with.
    With guitars and pickups, I also like a bass cut control as well as that treble cut with which we are all familiar.

Maybe less subjective and more to the point, imho when designing a pickup and electronic assembly, One should consider a goal...what type of music is the player going to play. If I am not putting a pickup assembly together with a particular player in mind, then I am free to do what I want. I usually end up with something that can be played through a versatile amp achieve any result one might want...plus a few options that would be new to some players.
    Good luck with the search....and a belated welcome.

16. AxeDr

AxeDr TDPRI Member

I agree with you 100%. I play lead for the local Worship Team, they are actually quite good. The thing is, in the Worship genre, we have very quiet stages. Hence no amps, so I use my POD HD500x. It's a great machine(for being digital).
    I have tweaked that HD500x to it's absolute limit to achieve a decent tone. There is only so much I can tweak within that unit to get more low end punch. Thus I have to start tweaking the guitar itself.
    The problem right now, is that the bridge position gets lost in the gigantic mix, and I need a pickup that can cut through it. My single coil didn't do that. The Dimarzio Tone Zone T is ok, but a bit wimpy. Any thoughts?

17. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

I agree with the rec for a SD Quarter Pound. Gives low end punch and drive w/o losing the single-coil identity of the guitar. Versatile, too.

Mincer likes this.
  18. cntry666

cntry666 Friend of Leo's

I love the Dimarzio Pre-B1 and the Tonerider Hot Tele. They don’t sound like humbuckers but they can handle lots of gain. I also have a Fralin that’s great as well.
    Otherwise a Quarter Pounder would work. Plenty of stuff to choose from

19. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

20. tubejockey

tubejockey Tele-Meister

I generally find that adding bass to my tone in an already dense mix obscures me even more. Not trying to derail your pickup search, but your solution may need to involve some sculpting in the EQ of all the instruments.
    Since you enjoy tinkering, you may want to try a half-out-of-phase option. It punches up the mids to get a thick, cutting tone on a tele.
    Welcome to the forum. Be sure to check out the worship players sub-forum.

joe_cpwe and AxeDr like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.