1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Single coil, noiseless or single sized hum...

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by eat myshorts, Apr 16, 2013.

Which pickup set for this setup

1. lil 59

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  2. vintage rails

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. duckbucker

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ssl 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ssl 5 bridge

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. antiquity surf

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  7. lace sensor gold

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  8. Dimarzio areas

9 vote(s)
    23.7%
  9. fralins

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  10. Van Zandts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. bardens

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  12. bareknuckles

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  13. other

16 vote(s)
    42.1%
  1. eat myshorts

eat myshorts TDPRI Member

so basically theres no going wrong with any of them. sounds like i'm picking from supermodels, your not going to be unhappy no matter who you pick!

when it comes to the sound clips, i agree and disagree. Used with a large grain of salt they can help moderately. and in the case of near direct comparisons (amp settings unchanged and such) can at least demonstrate where there isnt huge differences, while it cant tell you EXACTLY what said pickup will sound like, it can get you in the tonal ballpark (albeit, an extra large ballpark). they also can make someone ask questions, like me. if i hadn't listened to sound bytes, i probably would not be here asking questions at all.

Would i buy a pickup strictly on its sound byte? NO WAY!
    will i use every available resource to point in the right direction? Yep.

besidesssss, i havent got anything better to do :( i cant rout my pickup channels until i have said pup's at least decided on 100%. anyone know if bill posts dimensions for his pickups anywhere? i know they fit a strat rout, but i'd rather have the dimensions in hand if possible.

also, is the little black box q filter just the inuctor, or the full lcr circuit inside? the site says its a LCR circuit, but is it referring to the whole circuit, or just the box?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  2. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

I can only speak for the TL48 and L45 combo I have in my partscaster. Its a kinda weird combo, a palownia body and a fat allparts maple neck. To me, they are vey transparent and bring out the basic character of the guitar. The palownia is very airy and resonant, has sorta semi hollow character, and the big fat neck sustains for days. It would be my guess if you put L45s in a LP, it would sound like a very clean LP. In a strat, they would basically sound like a strat with no hum. So whatever the guitar you put em in, the base sound is gonna be the character of the guitar itself for the most part. That said, they are very responsive to the tone control, the amp eq, take pedals well, do high gain great, you can make em sound like pretty much anything depending on what you do with the rest of your signal chain. IF you want a specific color from the pickup, a mid hump, or a overwound thickness, or a P90 growl, its not gonna come from these. You gonna have to acheive that some other way.

3. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

L200s are classic Fender, more 50s leaning with very sweet highs. Keystones are based on the best early 60s Fender pickups. Both have lesser versatility than the other models but considerably more versatility than conventional Fender-style pickups on the market.

L280s can get classic Fender tones, but the inbetweens aren't as easy to adjust in part because the pickup is very versatile. They're sometimes described as being a "soft p90". The L45 is similar to the L280 in overall versatility and performance, but with a smoother attack characteristic, even greater clarity, and gets the Strat inbetweens without effort due to how it magnetizes and senses the strings.

The L298 and L290 are both great designs but not as versatile for on-stage playing. The L290 is a higher inductance version of the L280, which makes it a little darker. The L298 is the highest inductance of the noiseless single series, but gets great Fender-style highs when used with the Q-filter, so you can get rich lows with bite or sweet highs as it suits you.

None are muddy or harsh, but the lower inductance pickups (the microcoils and the L45s, especially) are the most versatile and are also Bill's most recent designs (although he designed the original dual blade pickup in the 70s). If you add a small capacitor, you can get a large variety of tones with one pickup. Adding a capacitor on the bridge position microcoil for 1.9 kHz can raise the voltage output 2-3x. The L45s are easy to add coloration to as well. The L45 is perhaps the clearest through dense distortion and effects, only challenged by the microcoil, and that's in the context of the superior clarity of all of Bill's pickups.

4. blimpo

blimpo Tele-Meister

I'd have to suggest Keystones or Micro Coils.

Tonerider has great sounding pickups too.

5. Stratburst

Stratburst Friend of Leo's

Sorry, I haven't read the entire thread (after 2 pages, I start to glaze). What style of music are you wanting to play on this guitar, and what's your budget? That'll help me help you. :)

6. eat myshorts

to keep it simple, clean to classic rock ish tunes, 75$ a pickup is kinda my limit.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  7. trilby

trilby TDPRI Member

I can confirm this. I just recently got around to sticking some Microcoils in my Thinline Tele and swapped the tone cap out for a 2.2nf one. Rolled way back, it gets a nice dark, growling, powerful P-90-ish tone but with plenty of clarity.

8. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

I have a set of Entwistle ASN 57's I'm about to drop in a project. I will report back on how they sound!

9. eat myshorts

that seems to sum up quite a bit of what i'm hearing. especially the note on the micros, l45s and l280s needing some "tweakage". something which i am not exactly good with, too many options and i get frustrated and give up. so it still looks like my safest bet is those l200's

10. eat myshorts

[​IMG]

heres the thing... do i get the l280's or l200's... i like the idea of that slightly fatter tone, but i REALLY want the notch positions to be top notch (wow, sneaky little pun there). i'm leaning on the l200's now, and i have another problem... WHAT BRIDGE [email protected]#!#@!... l290 or l298... i still have around 3 weeks before i can order em :( long story short, moving across town and would hate to order them only for them to arrive at the wrong house :(

On a side note, any opinions on my crude wiring diagram. heres a little explanation.

firstly its a 3 single switch layout, with 3 dpdt push pull pots. the far left tone (QT) push pull, switches between Q and cap tones. while the middle pot switches between a tone pot, and a blender pot. and finally the volume pot switches between the tone being split over 2 pots, or down to one pot (mainly for when the blender is enabled)

Comments, questions, mods? also, i was thinking if i could take the middle pickup and bridge pickup on the same tone pot. however, wouldnt running a wire from the middle to the tone pot create a short between bridge and middle, therby rendering the middle on off switch useless (because of the bridge) is there a way to have both the bridge and middle tone on the same pot, without the neck tone being included?

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  11. vintage clubber

Got the Entwistle set plugged in tonight and tried them through a Vox Pathfinder. Sounded very stratty and dead quiet! I'm liking them, especially for the price point!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. eat myshorts

guess i have some more research to do :cool:

13. teleforumnoob

Sry but that makes my brain hurt.

14. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Just start with a basic wiring so you can hear the pickups

15. teleforumnoob

+1. My L48TL/L45S combo has plain ole straight tele wiring. 1 vol 1 tone reg ol 22 cap, 3 way switch. High quality US pots. The tone & vol are useable thru their full sweep.

16. eat myshorts

Fair enuf, although i'll still install the Q tone filter switch. i suppose all that remains to be seen is for me to wait to order :(

Sorry if the diagram seems a bit convoluted, having built a princeton pseudo clone, i tend to get a little carried away. just to give an idea, having never built an amp before, i put in a faceplate tremolo switch, a fully switchable neg feedback loop, and a switchable mid pot. nevermind a (useless) standby switch and deluxe reverb output transformer. i considered a gain stage mod but ultimately decided to save that for later.

off topic question. for the next amp to build, tweed champ, tweed deluxe, Princeton verb, Deluxe verb( i hear a dlx reverb is LOUD,) or maybe a jtm45 with 6v6 power section (yes, before anyone asks, i am indeed CRAZY!#[email protected]#$)

17. dorock

dorock TDPRI Member

18. vintage clubber

demo of the Entwistle ASN 57 set:

19. eat myshorts

mmmmmmm i'll have to listen to that very soon. sweet collection btw, whats the guitar in the top right, sunburst with the bigsby?

20. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

The L298 with a Q-filter should be incredible. If you go with an L202TN, the neck is low enough inductance that you won't really "add anything" by using the inductance filter function, and it won't add too much versatility to the L280TN. If you go with either the L290TL or L298TL, make sure your bridge plate is in order for optimal performance (as they're very sensitive to the bridge), otherwise the L200TL is very nice (doesn't sense the bridgeplate directly as the L290/298 do), as is the L48TL (senses only between the blades). The microcoils are still my favorite :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.