1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Single coil, noiseless or single sized hum...

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by eat myshorts, Apr 16, 2013.

Which pickup set for this setup

1. lil 59

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  2. vintage rails

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. duckbucker

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ssl 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ssl 5 bridge

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. antiquity surf

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  7. lace sensor gold

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  8. Dimarzio areas

9 vote(s)
    23.7%
  9. fralins

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  10. Van Zandts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. bardens

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  12. bareknuckles

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  13. other

16 vote(s)
    42.1%
  1. trilby

trilby TDPRI Member

Rob's suggestion on the Wilde noisefrees is also pretty good. I have an L298-TL as the bridge pickup in the guitar you see to your left there (as well as an L610, which is also pretty quiet). Are they quieter than the Micros? I don't know, possibly, but the Micros are still pretty darn quiet as Derek pointed out. Both are killer designs, not sure you could call either one a bad choice.

Seconding TPMs comment about Rob recommending Bill's pickups. Class act all the way, Rob.

2. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

Mr. Lawrence is the man. Check out the Wylde offerings for such animals as well designed rails and noiseless singles at a very reasonable price.

Myself, Id put 3 L45S in and let er rip. But you may prefer something with more "color". The L45s are bright and transparent and pretty low output.

3. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Afflicted

4. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Also, consider what kind of sound you use before passing on true single coils. Few would argue they sound best for "that" sound, and the noise is very low or at least very tolerable if you don't use too much drive. In those clean to mildly distorted tones the noise is a non issue. To my ear, noise cancelling pickups are *generally* best used with higher gain and singles for lower gain tones. Thats why i love HSS strats....you have your choice and you have the ability to cop all sorts of great tones.

5. eat myshorts

eat myshorts TDPRI Member

Wow... Information overload! (thats a good thing in this case!) So far, looks like the Bill Lawrence microcoils are on top. guess i'll have to dig up some dirt on em! in respects, my concern over single coils is due to the amount of electronics around my place, the airwaves around here must be a noise freak's nightmare! having never had a single guitar in this house, id hate to get a nasty surprise with nothing but hum... Fear of the unknown i suppose.

to narrow down the field a bit, i'm thinking of a Layla era clapton tone, to a gilmour type sound. not so laden with effects though. so far, hot pickups really don't do it for me, that mid heavy sound... but hey, i'm still open to any and all ideas.

Thanks again!

oh, and on a tangent, for a 3 single coil guitar, any special mods that are worth adding? i hear phase reversal is kinda... meh'

6. eat myshorts

hmm, where to find micro coils, sounds like the l-200's are what i'm after, now to dig up a demo. and so far, Bill's rails are sounding pretty sweet to my ears. AGH... decisions... decisions... decisions...

What's your thoughts on the Strat Keystones?

7. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

remember - keystones and micro-coils are true single coils and will exhibit some flavor of humbuzz, whereas the L200/L280/L290 lawrence strat pups are true humbuckers in single coil footprint and will be very quiet.

you could also wire in a dummy coil along with a trio of true single coils. the dummy sits in the control cavity, nestled between the switch and the pots. it's controlled via a push/pull pot, to turn it on/off as need be. it will greatly quiet down the bridge and neck pickups in a strat. i typically use a cheap asian strat pickup as a dummy, just pull off the underslung ceramic magnet and leave in the iron polepieces for increased inductance.

i prefer wiring all strats thisaway - standard 5way switch, master 250ka volume, master 250ka no-load tone w/.022uf cap, neck volume no-load blender (this will add in the neck pickup to allow for the bridge and neck pickups to fire at the same time, for a nice tele-like tone). optional: dummy coil, and if so just make the neck volme no-load blender pot also a push/pull pot.

food for thought? :cool:

8. eat myshorts

hmm... L280-290's l45's l200's keystones or micro coils... Rails stacks, and quiet singles... i just wish there was a spot to compare all these suckers 1 on 1...

hmm... order a set of l280s and keystones... then i have parts for my next guitar!

do you guys have this much trouble deciding? or am i just WAY overthinking this?

9. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

yer pickup dilemma is NO different from most folks. people type words and opinions about all this stuff and the rubber will only meet the road when you choose (gamble) on a pup, stick it in yer guitar, play through your modulation and amplification. there is NO other way. it's all a crap shoot of sorts.

listening to sound bytes is NOT a valid way to decide on a pickup. there are ***SO*** many factors involved. yet again, it's all hearsay, conjecture, unvalidated opinions and ... gambling.

the only clear truth is that noiseless dual coils can never fully off the complex tone of a noisy but good single coils.

if you must have quiet tone, go humbucker. if you must have true single coil tone, go single coil (and maybe think about a dummy coil).

lo-z pickups (emg's, etc.) are a totally different ball game, with a sound all to themselves. you'll notice the vast majority of tele and strat players avoid those things. there is a reason for this.

SO, don't feel bad, forge ahead and choose - yer in select company. :cool:

10. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

SSL5 is best Strat bridge I've ever heard. It is NOT a hot pickup--just a tad beefier than traditional so it sounds killer overdriven AND clean.

11. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

I have the Bill&Becky L200s on my Tele. They are dead silent; they don't have quite the metallic edge that a true single coil would have, but they are very musical and great with overdrive.

12. Tele-phone man

Tele-phone man Tele-Afflicted

Good advise. You will be taking a chance, no matter what make/model you choose. You can't really evaluate until the pup is in YOUR guitar played through YOUR rig with YOUR hands.

Don't even bother with online sound clips. They are absolutely meaningless. You have no objectivity with them.

13. Ed Boyd

Ed Boyd Tele-Afflicted

Doesn't have to be a gamble. You might pay a little more but I get my pickups from a good guitar shop that installs pickups without cutting the leads letting try them out. If you don't like them try something else. If you buy them he completes the install the way it should be done.

No charge for installs if you buy pickups from him. You may pay a $100 for a pickup that cost $70 online but the install and advice and wisdom of an experienced luthier is worth it.

14. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

The L200s sound like a single without shorts that make a pickup harsh, edgy or muddy, with less accentuation to the resonance that forms from the interaction of cable capacitance and pickup inductance (which can often make the tone more "metallic" if it falls in an unflattering range), with less distortion of the guitar's tone due to the smaller coil's relationship to the magnetic field. There's no sacrifices for its noiseless performance or a tone character it has because of its noiseless performance, but you're right, it doesn't sound identical to a conventional Fender-style single coil.

15. eat myshorts

agh......... guess ill have to make 3 more guitars just to test out all the combinations! ah well, its a good excuse to make more sawdust!!! guess i'll have to drop into my local music place, check out the pickup offerings and toy with some different strat types, might help to nail down this huge pile! bass + treble control... interesting, but how often is it even used...
    just plain curisoity, i get that noiseless dont sound exactly like singles, thats a given, but just how far off are they? or are they so close that unless you listened really close, you can barely tell the difference? subjective i know

and believe me... i TOTALLY get the whole sound bytes problem, mics amps rooms fingers wood wiring pots... just working with what i have access to.

got the truss rod in place, glued and levelled the spline (what a nightmare without a hand plane!) and got the fretboard on. i cant wait to see this baby fully assembled! i'll have to post some pics when its done :)

Sorry for all the questions, but i can see i sure came to the right place to ask!

16. eat myshorts

oh i forgot, how long does it usually take for a set of bill's pups to be shipped out? trying to plan ahead

17. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

Mine took about 3 weeks.

18. LawDaddy

LawDaddy Tele-Holic

Some thoughts on the OP's question:

1) Yes, the Surfs are all that. I have a set, love them. Really sound and feel like every vintage Strat I've played.

2) The Dimarzio Areas are all that, too, for noiseless. Personally, I settled on a 61(b)-67(m)-67(n).

3) For live work, I'm in the minority around here, but I love Lace Sensors, especially the Rainbow set, a very versatile set. Personally, the Emerald in the neck position is one of my all time faves.

4) Another option (sorry) is D Allen, his Vintage '54 set is awesome for those chimey '50s tones.

HTH,
    Tim

19. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

D.Allen
    And by the way, his sound clips(You-tube) are pretty good. There are even comparisons with stock American and Japanese made strats.
    I bought a set and they sound like the clips...but that's just me.

20. eat myshorts

oh great.... now i have to decide if i want a HSS or 3S strat.... TB-4 bridge anyone? (got the idea from a GnL legacy) i'm not highly concerned about output matching, but i'd like to get that notch tone working fairly well. plus i seem to be favoring the TB-4 in split coil mode... which makes me wonder if its even worth it... suggestions? also, should i bother making the bridge as a single slant at all? i've heard that this is an unnessecary vintage compensation, and actually makes the bridge more shrill sounding.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.