1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Single coil, noiseless or single sized hum...

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by eat myshorts, Apr 16, 2013.

Which pickup set for this setup

1. lil 59

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  2. vintage rails

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. duckbucker

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ssl 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ssl 5 bridge

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. antiquity surf

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  7. lace sensor gold

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  8. Dimarzio areas

9 vote(s)
    23.7%
  9. fralins

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  10. Van Zandts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. bardens

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  12. bareknuckles

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  13. other

16 vote(s)
    42.1%
  1. eat myshorts

eat myshorts TDPRI Member

Time to open a MASSIVE can of worms!

so, heres the deal, i currently have in the works a mutt of a strat guitar. Through neck mahogany 3 piece laminate with a 1/2 inch walnut center
    mahogany body with flame birch cap trimmed with walnut edges
    Massacar Ebony fretboard
    Schaller hardtail non through bridge.

Edit: already planning on using the 2nd tone on the bridge pickup, and running 3 single switches for all possible pup combinations. there will be no pickguard, planning on hard mounting the pickups to the body

now here's the problem, i've heard many a reccomendation for pickups but just as many nay's for the same pickup. i'm looking for that single coil tone, as i already posses a les anyways. also i keep hearing about this single coil hum... just how bad is it really? i am not a gigging musician, but would like to record at some point in time.
    the list i have so far is:

Seymour duncan ssl 1's (told its good, but missing something?)
    Seymour duncan ssl 5 bridge (my ears say wanabee humbucker)
    Seymour duncan Antiquity Surf's (holy grail or hype?)
    Seymour duncan Vintage rails (described as lifeless)
    Seymour duncan Duckbuckers (similar to rails)
    Seymour duncan Lil 59 (bridge only, and sounds like a les-strat)
    lace sensor golds
    Dimarzio area's
    Fralin's noiseless
    Van Zandt's
    Bardens
    Bareknuckles (out of my price range tbh)

and im open to other suggestions. but over 75$ for a pickup is not where i want to go. and i want to get this right the first time! also i live in a bit of a musical wasteland, so my only 2 options for music stores are GC.... and a small shop that dosent carry the boutique pickups. links to where i can hear these pickups myself would be monumentally appreciated!

also... has anyone tried wiring the vintage rails in series? and what does it sound like?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  2. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

I'm not a big fan of SC sized humbuckers. They never sound quite as good so i'd rather route if i have to. As to singles, i love van zandts tho i'm not sure how they'd be in that guitar. Guitars like that tend to sound sorta weak when you turn the volume down to clean up so whatever you go with i'd go for higher than vintage output. The rio grande tallboy may be a good pick for that guitar.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but a guitar like that is likely to have tonal issues inherent to the design that may be tiring. I've seen it over and over in my days. Theres a reason certain design aspects are rarely incorperated into some designs, and i see that as being such an animal due to the set neck on a fender style and the wood choices. In any case i'd go with somewhat high output pickups on a design like that. They seem to work a lot better than vintage output there. You may feel different but been there done that over the years so I'm just sayin....

3. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

The quality of noisecanceling pickups depends on their design. It's easier to make a decent single coil. That doesn't mean single coils are better, but simply that they require a more talented designer to be well executed.

4. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

eat myshorts, whatever you decide on will surely be the best for you. good pickup hunting. :cool:

5. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

DiMarzio Areas are nice....

6. eat myshorts

eat myshorts TDPRI Member

at the moment i'm leaning toward either a set of vintage rails, maybe with a 59 bridge with a series paralell switch. or a set of antiquity surfs. hmmm.... i still have a ways to go though, waiting on my fretboard, truss rod and bridge to arrive right now. should be here later today.

7. itsscottwilder

itsscottwilder TDPRI Member

How about the Eric johnson Custom? He asked Dmarzio to make him a humbucker that would compliment his single coils.

8. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

I liked Bill Lawrence "Micro-coils" on my friends Strat. Quiet, clear, rich, sounding single coils. Similiar to the "Keystones" but I would describe them as "enchanced" or clearer, quieter, etc. in trying to describe the tone between the two. Also, easy on the wallet.

9. LGWonder

LGWonder Tele-Meister

Would you consider Fender N3's?

Fender put them in the Am-Dlx by default so cant be too bad?
    (I know they are pretty silent regards hum)

10. Zexcoil

Zexcoil Tele-Meister Vendor Member

Your list is incomplete.

In fact, you did not include the best single coil sized humbucker...

IMHO, of course. :D

Actually in our customer's HO, too!

11. trilby

trilby TDPRI Member

Another vote for MicroCoils from Wilde (Bill & Becky Lawrence). I have a Strat equipped with them (and a Tele set in my thinline). Killer single-coil tone, minimal noise, very dynamic and articulate with a strong fundamental. Adjustable pole pieces mean you can adjust the stagger as desired to match your string gauge and fingerboard radius (if you want to get that 'tweaky'). At $135 for a set, they're very reasonably priced.

12. BluesAndBooze

BluesAndBooze TDPRI Member

I guess I mustn't find BKP to be expensive living in the UK and only down the road from them, but, that's the way I'd go. You only do it once when you get it right!
    I put Piledrivers in my Telecaster plus some other tweaks, but more importantly for you I put BKP Irish Tours in my Stratocaster all 3 with metal baseplates(more girth and clarity to the note) RW/RP. No noise or hum, just gotta wire it right and use good components, I'd recommend Callaham for components or RS Guitarworks, even cranked through my sons high gain Randall, beefy with great twangy high when wanted. Don't be misled by pickup ohm ratings, these are full and loud.
    I use them through either my modified champ or lonestar.
    You will not confuse them with a humbucker, I've Mules in my Les, and they're worlds apart.
    Just pause and think how often you may end up spending $/£'s !

13. BluesAndBooze

BluesAndBooze TDPRI Member

BKP website has a stack of soundbites, use headphones, and online store

14. guitarzan13

guitarzan13 Friend of Leo's

Dimarzio Areas are KILLER!!!

My personal Strat has a Duncan JB Jr in the bridge and 2 Area 67's in the neck and middle.

15. rwsand

rwsand Tele-Afflicted

I always thought noise was part of the experience of a good strat. But if it bothers why not look at Kinman. http://www.kinman.com/index.php. They are over the budget but I built a strat for my daughter with them and was very happy.

16. Rob DiStefano

i've sampled more than a few single coil footprint humbuckers and bill lawrence's offerings are what i go to for customer's requiring quiet running pups. it sure does help that bill's pups are quality built and the price is typically half or less of the "high end" types. two thumbs up for uncle bill's pickups! yeah man!

17. Derek Kiernan

Since Bill Lawrence's Microcoils have come up twice already, I'll put another recommendation for them in :D

18. Rob DiStefano

microcoils are not true noiseless, there will be some humbuzz present. bill's true noisefree pickups ARE single coil humbucker stacks.

19. Derek Kiernan

They use much finer wire and have about 2.5x the winding density as an absolutely ideally wound conventional Fender coil (increases voltage output), about a third the coil height (gets rid of inefficient winding space far away from the strings), and have a strong note fundamental (combination of the magnetic design and not losing lows with additional coil distance from the string). Having a stronger signal and far less antennae translates into dramatically less noise. If you play with a lot of distortion or compression, you'll still hear some at higher volumes, but that's also true of conventional humbuckers.

20. Tele-phone man

Tele-phone man Tele-Afflicted

I echo Rob's input. My Wilde L280's strike me as the best price/performance ratio available. Great tone, no noise, excellent price, American-made. An original design by the grandfather of replacement pickups.

My hat's off to Rob for recommending the product of another pickup maker, despite the fact that Rob's own offerings are so highly regarded around here.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.