Single Coil Hummer into Bridge

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Ghostdriver, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver TDPRI Member

hi guys,
    did a quick search on internet but got conflicting results, so came here !

All i need is to wire a single coil into the bridge, no coil splitting required.

So what i have gleaned from the internet is as follows :-

Bare wire plus Red solder to Ground i.e back of tone pot

Black to pickup selector switch ( bridge position)

Green / White soldered together and taped off

Does this sound correct only some wiring diagrams i looked at were different in as much as the red and white were together and not green / white ?

Also, as it has 250k pots, do i need to update vol or tone pot to maximise potential of the Humbucker and if so , both pots ???

cheers for any help
    Ghost

2. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Tele-Afflicted

Wire colors vary from one pickup maker to the next; there is no standard.
    Here's a chart showing wire color codes for humbuckers from some popular pickup brands:
    [​IMG]

In general, 500K usually pots work best with humbuckers. However, many singlecoil-sized hums are designed to work with the 250K pots typically standard in singlecoil guitars. My recommendation would be to try it with your stock pots first, and if it isn't bright enough you then you can switch to 500K.

LutherBurger and Flockhart like this.
  3. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Huh? What means "single coil humbucker into bridge"?

What's in neck position?

What's in bridge position?

What do you want your wiring to do?

4. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver TDPRI Member

err i thought I was quite clear, I want to put a single coil sized humbucker into the bridge position of my Tele, why is the neck pick up relevant ? Its a stock neck single coil, it is unaffected.
    I am fitting a rail style humbucker so directly replaces standard single coil. As far as wiring goes, as explained, I don't need coil splitting, just need it to work with current configuration like before, three stage selector normal vol and tone.

5. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

this is where a multimeter comes in handy to check the output of different combos..

my rails bridge has red and white joined, green hot and black ground.. gfs I think?

knowing the make helps with that chart above...

6. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Which wires go where vary from one pickup maker to the next, so you need to follow the instructions for the brand of pickup that you have. But, you still may find that you may need to reverse the hot and ground wires if the new bridge pickup is out of phase with the neck pcikup when in the middle position with both pickups on. As far as the pots, I would leave them as is, and only switch to 500k if the new pickup sounds too dark. But, keep in mind that then your neck pickup will be brighter.

LutherBurger likes this.
  7. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver TDPRI Member

thanks for all your help and info guys, managed to contact manufacturer, they are small bespoke pickup makers in the UK, Warman. They supplied full wiring info, all fitted and soldered now nd sounds awesome......at 14 ohms its a big warm sound, only problem now is finding something decent for neck to match, that will be tough !

trev333 likes this.
  8. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Know them well, bought quite a few pu's from Josi.... I like their P90's...:)

glad you got it sorted..

Ghostdriver likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.