Single Coil Hum Elimination. How?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by LKB3rd, Mar 4, 2014.

1. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

I love my Tele, but the single coil hum is problematic when I try to record it. I know there are ways to get rid of it on recorded tracks, but a quick Google didn't turn up much so I figured I'd ask here.
    EQ? A particular plugin? I know how to use a noise gate, but on soft played parts I can hear the hum even when playing.

2. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dummy coil or
    Further from amp
    Angle the guitar to minimize hum
    Hand always on bridge

3. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

I should have added I do all of those things. I also turn down the tone control, which is good for jazzy sorts of sounds, but not for brighter sounds. I don't want to mod my Tele. I have a Strat with noiseless pickups, and an Esquire with a noiseless pickup, but I have a great Tele with great pickups, but they hum :(
    I am looking for methods within the Daw to cancel the hum for the times when I can't entirely squelch it with the normal methods.

4. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Your DAW should have a noise gate of some sort. Try it.

5. waparker4

So your signal to noise ratio is unacceptably high. Are you really close to a computer monitor?

I record w/ my single coil Tele and it's completely tolerable. might get more traction addressing the source of the problem. Read Rob DiStefano's posts on dummy coils

6. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

I read somewhere about a technique where you can record the hum alone, and use methods to cancel it out, which is what I am looking for.
    I record on a laptop, and turn off the desktop nearby. I guess I'll also set aside some time for hum reduction tinkering with the standard methods.

7. waparker4

Audacity can do that.. built in.. some other plugins probably can do it better

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  8. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

Illitch noise reduction.. the mod is reversible and it kill 90% of the Hum and kills 0 highs.

I put 1 on my strat and from now on all my single coil guitar will have this.

9. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

i was in the same boat about a year ago. absolutely loved the tone i was getting out of my twang king pickups... but the noise was an issue. if you have single coils, that's the sacrifice you have to make: you get great tone, but you also get a hornets nest of buzz when the stage lights are on or there's fluorescent lights in the room, etc. usually, when everything is mixed in and levelled, the hum isn't very noticeable. on songs where you ring out, there will be a point where the audio level drops below the level of the hum and you'll hear that hum come through in the mix. best bet is to add a subtle fade out to cut the sound before the hum is noticeable. i wouldn't worry about gating; the hum is usually lost in the mix. just be careful with intros and ring outs.

in live situations, you don't get this handy edit tool. some people will use their tuner pedal as a mute to silence the buzz between songs... or quickly roll the volume off between songs. it's kind of a hassle. noiseless single coils have improved so much in the last 10 years or so that there's really no excuse to put up with the hum anymore. grab you a set of lawrence L202-style pickups or dimarzio area t's and be done with it. remember, that hum doesn't just annoy you... it annoys the hell out of your sound guys and your audience as well

10. Otis Funkmeyer

Otis Funkmeyer Tele-Holic

Anyone had success with the EHX Hum Debugger pedal? When I tried it in the store it produced a strange chorus-like effect, but others seem to like it. Is there a trick to it perhaps?

11. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

Joe brings up a good point about the source of your hum ... computer monitors, fluorescent lighting, dimmer switches, RF, lots of possible causes. You might try to track down what's creating the noise. ... I had nasty intermittent hum a while back and traced it to an electric heater in the living room, even though I'm in an outbuilding — heater off, hum gone. (Old house with old-timey wiring.)

You might also look into shielding your pickup cavities and the back of your pickguard with foil — I did it to my former Tele and it helped some, though by no means perfect (playing under an array of neon beer signs, it could still get nasty).

12. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

My laptop makes a lot of noise. Could be just that. I have to move away from it a bit.

13. teleprompted

teleprompted Tele-Meister

I have the humdebugger and it works well. It does, however change your tone a bit. Doesn't necesarily make it worse but it does change it. You would have to judge. My daw has an eq setting to cancel 60hz hum as a preset. So you could at least try with an eq. IIRC it was a simple notch at 60hz. That might work and is cheaper than buying a humdebuggger.
    Not sure if recording the hum would work but its possible. For that you would record the hum separate, place it on another track, then invert the phase relative to the guitar track. When the two play together the hum should (theoretically) cancel out. But, the hum when recorded separately would have to be identical to the hum when playing.

14. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The recorded hum would have to be of the same frequency as the unwanted hum. It would have to be 180 degrees out of phase with the unwanted hum, and stay exactly 180 degrees out of phase with the original. Sounds like a tall order, but then again there are a ton of tools out there that can do amazing things.

I'd tackle it at the source. If it's coming from the guitar, a dummy coil is an easy mod and will help a lot.

15. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

The Illitch is the best remedy and it kills 00 highs and alters the tone 00000.

It works especially well in close to computers and fluorescent bulbs....

The PGNCS-T is a hum canceling system built into the pickguard. Tele style guitars with 2 or 3 single coil pickups can be retrofitted with the PGNCS-T. This design is an expansion of our original backplate hum canceling system for Strat style guitar and uses an extremely low impedance coil assembly that effectively eliminates hum while keeping the true single coil tone intact. We have developed two versions of the PGNCS-T, one for standard Tele guitars, the other one for Nashville style tele guitars.

16. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

There's a program we used a work called SoundSoap. You sample a piece of just the annoying sound then twiddle with the program until it's gone. Set the band width as narrow as possible and apply it to the entire clip.

It's not a perfect solution. (I used it on one mix but decided to re-record for other reasons. It might have worked, though.) It eliminates that frequency from the track, that's why it has to be narrow. Most of the time you'll never notice.

Oh, and it's only for Macs.

17. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Neutral Harmonic Feedback.

In an AC system, the Current returns as Neutral.
    When too much stuff gets plugged in, all over the system, Harmonics build-up in the Neutral Current.
    Your Amp is plugged-in to that, Single-Coil Pick-ups pick it up and Amplify it.

Motors, Lighting Ballasts, Lighting Dimmers, Fan-Speed Controls, etc, all add to the problem.

So does Broken Shielding in your signal chain.

Try going around the House and unplugging everything that doesn't need to be plugged in or turned on.

Time to Rock!

18. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I have Rob's Tele and can vouch for the effectiveness of the Dummy Coil.

19. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

here is a ground hum trick, it may or may not work in each situation..but it works many times in a low hum situation when recording...perhaps not with single coil hum which in most cases is being induced by something in close proximity to the guitar.

take a wire, one end with an Alligator clip to the guitar cord shield ( outer metal screw cover) , the other end goes inside your sock and touches your skin... sounds funny..and it is..but you won't laugh if it kills the hum ! I picked this up from an engineer years back in a small studio...

20. kp8

kp8 Friend of Leo's

that is awesome. haha. I am gonna have to try that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.