Single Brand Pedal Board?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Seanus187, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Seanus187

Seanus187 TDPRI Member

Any one else out there doing this? I remember Johnny Marr had a pretty interesting board of Carl Martin pedals only.

I have a small pedal board with Boss pedals only. I know many of you think I'm stupid and Daniel at the Gig Rig suggested my lack of intelligence for sticking to one brand but...

There's something I love in the simplicity of sticking with Boss. They're solid, reliable and so easy to pick up anywhere. For me, they're like the SM58 of pedals.

I keep this board simple but interchangeable - I usually some form of modulation, delay and drive on the board along with a tuner.

This is it in its current incarnation for tonight's rehearsal!

Attached Files:

2. brapscallion

brapscallion TDPRI Member

If you're just using Boss pedals, looking into the Boss cases. Great stuff.

leonard d rock likes this.
  3. troy2003

troy2003 Friend of Leo's

I am actually a big MXR fan so I would probably do that. But they don't make a pedal tuner so there is that.

On the Boss cases my son got a free case with purchase of a Boss pedal a while back and gave it to me. It holds 3 pedals-very very nice.

4. Seanus187

Seanus187 TDPRI Member

Yes, I noticed that with MXR, I wonder why they never brought out a tuner?

I custom made that board to fit four boss pedals - Boss need to re-model their bigger case I believe, I think there's too much empty space on it...? They must pretty damn old in design too? Mooer cases look pretty cool!

5. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Dunlop owns MXR and they surely make a tuner.

The only brand consistently good enough across the board to do this would be Boss IMHO.

leonard d rock likes this.
  6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Mostly? Mostly TC.

tele-bastard likes this.
  7. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I could happily do an all-boss:

TU-3 > TW-1 > CS-3 > OD-3

Shoot!! I need to buy a DD-3!

Seanus187 likes this.
  8. jddub440

jddub440 Tele-Holic

I have a decent amount of EHX products....enough to build a tuner-less pedalboard (because they don't make any sort of tuner yet) But who needs a tuner when you have a Random Tone Generator!?

waparker4 likes this.
  9. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Gotta make sure those random tones are in tune!

10. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

DSCN1598.JPG Weird this should come up but I've just put a very crude pretty much all-Boss board together for a slowly evolving new project...its the first time I've not had a total mash-up since the early '90's when I had an all-Arion board...must put them back together someday....
    It has advantages....with matched pedals its much easier to hit two at the same time and you can use those solid brass connectors....

leonard d rock and Seanus187 like this.
  11. LordByron

LordByron Tele-Meister

I've been considering putting together a Nano+ or similar sized board with just Keeley Workstations. It would definitely include a Tone Workstation and a Delay Workstation. The SuperMod Workstation is in contention as well. Thy only hiccup is I have to include my Shure GLX-D tuner/receiver. No matter how cool a single band board seems, I am NOT giving up my Shure wireless rig! :cool:

12. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Holic

Boss makes good pedals. I picked up several recently that were being cleared out at ridiculous prices.

But if I had to go with a single brand it would be Wampler. They make amazing pedals.

13. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Our friend @telefunken has an entirely Keely setup if I'm not mistaken.

My board on the other hand would only qualify if I cut it back to 1 pedal. :rolleyes:

tele-bastard and bparnell57 like this.
  14. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Can't get what I like that way so mine is a hybrid of brands but all of my modulation/delay/reverb but one (a Boss) and my tuner are Hardwire and they're great. Not all that much different than Boss in build but I like their features and versatility.

15. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]
    TWO Keeley boards to be exact.................

16. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted

I don't think I could ever go with just one brand but the closest I could is probably TC.

17. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

I don't always use pedals.....but when I do....I use Boss.

Dude, seriously if it works, use it.

Anode100, DarkKnight37 and Jakedog like this.
  18. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I could do an all Boss board. Easily. It wouldn't be ideal for me, but it would get the job done for sure.

And OP, you're not stupid. Use what you like. Whatever works for you.

At one time, Robert Smith claimed to be using "every Boss pedal ever made". Lol. He still uses the BD2 and SD1. And nothing boutique or expensive.

I could almost get away with it. And I do use an SD1. Although mine is an 11 Gauge modded hot rod, the stock version is a GREAT od.

I use a Fulltone trem, because I like (and use) the extra features. But I understand Boss has fixed the volume drop on the TR2. If that's the case, it's a great sounding basic trem pedal.

I've lost track of how many delays I've tried and sold on. Some of them costing 3-4 times as much. I've still never found anything I like better than a stock DD3.

I'm not aware that they make a dedicated boost, but I have used a GE7 to great effect.

I like the TU3 better than any of the other tuner pedals I've tried. Which admittedly are only Korg and TC, but still, I'll take the Boss.

I think if I had an all Boss board it would probably go-

TU3, SD1, GE7 (set flat and used as a volume boost), SD1 (slightly different setting), CE5, TR2, DD3.

I could gig any style I'm interested in playing with that.

I was doing a project for awhile that did tons of Waylon. I went through a bunch of Phasers trying to find one I liked. Never stumbled onto one I liked any better than the old PH2.

Edit: almost forgot! I'm currently using the new Boss FV30H volume pedal, and I dig it quite a bit.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  19. Stingfan73

Stingfan73 Tele-Afflicted

Because I wanted to experiment with TC Electronic Toneprint options and no good way I could watch enough videos to get an accurate sense of it in the way ownership would give, I bought a few TC Electronic pedals, and have ended up picking up a few that don't have Toneprint technology too, not to be consistent to the brand, but just in looking at the TC Electronic site, watching videos and so on, other TC Electronic pedals ended up on my radar. It also worked out that I have a few extra $$ to play with.

So without really planning it, I have a TC Electronics "board" if you overlook the non-TC Electronic buffer which I bought that happened to be $20 cheaper than TC Electronic's own unit, and is smaller to boot.

20. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Me? Okay, someone's gotta say it:

It makes no sense whatsoever.

Isn't the idea of a pedal board is to assemble the tones that you want? No one company has a corner on all effects, so why bother? Maybe 25 years ago, but today? I have evolved into having few pedals from one company, but they don't make half the things that I require. Boss makes some great pedals (I love their paddle switch), as well as MXR and I have had a few of each, but there is just too much pedal candy out there to have all of one brand just for ... I really don't know what for. Aesthetic value? Unlimited funds? Just for fun?

Each pedal requires an investment in time to learn and find your personal sweet spots, so I don't understand the time investment when there would definitely be better pedals/effects out there for each of us.

I just don't get it. It makes my head hurt.

Okay, coffee is ready, maybe my brain fog will clear in a half hour.:rolleyes:

oldfish, DaveKS and Jakedog like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.