1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Singing Roots Music: Bill, Redd, and Robbie

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by p_lawls, Nov 8, 2016.

1. p_lawls

p_lawls TDPRI Member

I’m a huge fan of Bill Kirchen, Robbie Fulks, and Redd Volkaert; amazing chops and killer vocals. I’ve always been curious how those guys -- as well as other people that have had success singing roots music -- have developed their voices. I’m sure it comes down to practice and the question of just how bad do you want to be a good singer? But, love to hear of some techniques and resources people have used and found successful. Anybody take lessons? Did you find them helpful?

I've been working through 90 Days to Sight Reading Success. Lots of good little exercises in various keys and CD comes along as a point of reference.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  2. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Afflicted

I've been singing since I was a little kid. Elementary school glee club, jr high chorus. Started singing in bands in high school. I took some voice classes at community college. Later I took private vocal lessons. I get the most out of 1) Singing. There's no substitute. Sing and record yourself and listen to your voice. 2) Private vocal coaching. I learned a lot. It really helped to have somebody listen to my voice and give me specific techniques to help my weak areas.

3. p_lawls

p_lawls TDPRI Member

That's part of my problem... I've played guitar for about 15 years but just recently took up singing. Never learned how to sing as a kid so at 34 I'm trying to train those muscles now.

Took private lessons for about 6 mos but too expensive. They certainly helped, and that's where I got the reco for 90 Days to Sight Reading Success. I understand that's used in all TX high schools to get kids up to speed over summer.

4. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

there's technique to learn, and all that's kinda important, but in my years of singing in choirs and chamber ensembles, singing live in small places and big, and being around singers a lot of my life, I'd say the single most important thing is this:

don't be afraid

and that can be difficult for some people to learn, but it's the basis for all public emotional expression -- you have to learn how to let your inhibitions go

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.