Singing lead tone with Tele and Blues Junior

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by OwenHu99, Nov 24, 2016.

1. OwenHu99

OwenHu99 TDPRI Member

I've been trying to get a nice lead tone out of my blues junior se (made in china, a bit cheaper than a bj3, but of almost identical specs). It has a fantastic clean sound, but it compresses way too much when i turn the volume past 12 oclock. Ive used an sd1 and soul food but im not happy with either. I really like to have a warm and smooth overdriven tone(like clapton's woman tone) through the neck pickup, what do you guys suggest? overdrive/distortion/fuzz? Which model? Thanks a lot!

2. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

I'm a big fan of the Fulltone Fulldrive 2 with MOSFET. I use it for a darker kind of overdrive akin to the Clapton "woman tone" (though not identical). With the MOSFET setting, it's really sweet, with nice sustain. I highly recommend it.

3. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome to the forum! Perhaps a Boss OD-3 would fit your needs.

4. gtrjunior

gtrjunior Tele-Holic

Probably more than you need but this pedal covers it all:

5. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

1st learn the guitar setup.

Then find you a Marshall in a box pedal like Tone City Golden Plexi, keep gain low on it, down around 10:00. He used a 50w Marshall into Celestion speakers in that era. Learn where the right tone roll off spot is on your guitar and your there or closer anyway.

6. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Hello and welcome to the forum! Great to see a Shanghai resident join us. :)

First make sure your Blues Jr is dialed in nicely. I -highly- recommend keeping the master volume on 12, get as much good clean headroom out of the amp as you can. (Volume 5, Treble 7, Mid 5, Bass 8, Reverb 4) After that, I'm not too picky on the OD pedals, many sound pretty good, I like a stacked Pork Loin going into a Blues Driver. Using 2 pedals in various gain and boost combinations can work to give a variety of singing lead tones. Another nice combination is a Sparkle Driver into an OCD.

Have fun! Enjoy the adventures.. I wish I was 16 again. Take care....

7. Freethenoise

Freethenoise Tele-Holic

I've been digging a lot of the Foxpedal stuff lately.
    I've been using the Kingdom Combo on my board for a little while now, and it's been really impressing me. For what you're after, you could probably get what you want just with the regular Kingdom, but I've found the boost pretty handy, and it's very toneful.

8. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

Hmm, there are a million good overdrive/distortion pedals around. But still, I'm afraid, you won't get Clapton's "woman tone" with a Telecaster and a Blues Junior.
    As it has been written already, Clapton used a Les Paul and later a SG with a Marshall amp. Even if it's an SG or Les Paul with P90 single coils, it will sound different compared to a tele single coil. The latter have a sharp and "biting" tone, whereas a P90 has more punch and more midrange.
    You will not chjange a Tele with a bolt on neck into a Les Paul/SG with it's different neck construction, pick up combination, an different measure of the neck as a whole.
    Of course you will create a smooth and soothing overdive, but it will be something different compared to Clapton's 60s woman tone.

9. juxtapolice

juxtapolice Tele-Holic

Been really diggin the Crazy Tube Circuits Starlight pedal for tele lead work. Used it last night at a gig and it was super fat, rich and got perfect feedback. Check it out

10. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Welcome to the forum.

I think a tele neck pickup is perfect for woman tone.

I'm confused by your reference to the amp compressing too much though. Compression is part of singing, sustained leads in my mind.

Maybe you can explain further? In any event, when people say singing, sustained, vocal leads, I think "Tube Screamer". Good luck.

11. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I suggest a Les Paul.

No Tele "sings" like a nice LP.

Not even close.

I like Tele's though, but "singing tone" isn't their strong suit.

Since you're probably not looking to swap guitars though, I'd say a fuzz pedal.

12. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

booster pedal ... dod 250 if you just have to have an overdrive instead of a boost

13. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Holic

I reckon a telecaster's neck pickup is perfectly decent for getting a good lead tone. My frame of reference for a solid lead singing tone are Led Zeppelin's first 2 albums.

Here are some suggestions, based on what I have and what I can create using my own gear:

1. You may have the wrong amp for the job: a Blues Junior does not necessarily have the best preamp gain that works in conjunction with your telecaster and a separate "booster-type" pedal, which is apparent from your OP.

2. If you're after a "Woman Tone", the sort of overdrive I would suggest would be either a Fulltone OCD going into your BJ with slight breakup; or Joyo British Sound / Tech21 British going into a clean amp sound.

Obviously, YMMV.

14. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Sure, an LP would get you there faster, but there is a lot to be said for experimentation and searching for your own palette of sounds. By pushing the Tele to get these sounds, you'll likely find some useful stuff that you wouldn't have encountered otherwise.

15. LordByron

LordByron Tele-Meister

Prince of Tone will get you there (in style). :) Seriously, Tele, PoT, and BJ3 (particularly if it's one of the Tweed NOS models with the Jensen speakers) sound really good. Maybe not 100% of the "Woman" toanz... but your getting into the right neighborhood.

16. OwenHu99

OwenHu99 TDPRI Member

yea the fulldrive 2 is something im looking at already!

17. OwenHu99

OwenHu99 TDPRI Member

ill check that out thanks!

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  18. OwenHu99

OwenHu99 TDPRI Member

always up for high tweakability! thanks for the info

19. OwenHu99

OwenHu99 TDPRI Member

this is my favorite video :) my profile picture on almost every social media is clapton during that interview haha. So yea, im aware of the basic setup, but my gear is pretty limited. I'll eventually get a plexi type amp (really liking the victory 22/44) tho.

20. OwenHu99

OwenHu99 TDPRI Member

Thanks a lot buddy! The email notification for the thread was kinda buggy and i wasnt notified for your replies, so sorry for the delayed feedback :D and yea its good to be 16 (3 weeks until i turn 17 :p). I also discovered the importance of enough headroom, i had my master down really low in order to play at bedroom volume, but when i turned it up and really played out loud, its a lot more dynamic and took my soul food very well! Though the sd1 was still not so good which is probably because of the asymmetric clipping. I'll look into those pedals and thanks again!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.