Singers / Songwriters. Your Personal PA?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by arlum, May 17, 2021.

1. arlum

arlum Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Hey folks,
    I'm interested in our singer / songwriters choice for a personal PA system. Something you can use in the studio and then easily take out for live performances. Light weight but loud enough for a small to medium size venue. Perfect for your vocal range.
    For myself, whether I'm playing acoustic or electric guitar, I found the need to combine two different brands to get what I needed. I have a deep voice, (think Jim Morrison, Johnny Cash), and like using vocal effects from time to time. I quickly narrowed my search down to two.
    The JBL Professional Eon One Compact, (120 watts and 112 dB output, self powered 1" tweeter 8" woofer down to 37.5 Hz).. A whole array of effects available via the blue tooth cell phone app. Killer highs and deep bass. A huge number of ways to connect and multiple options.
    The Bose S1 Pro.(150 watts self powered 3 X 2.25" HF drivers and one 6" woofer. Fewer effects, inputs and options.
    I initially bought the JBL and was very pleased. It delivered everything promised. That said ...... I had an issue I couldn't get around. Because of my vocal range, (mid heavy), the JBL, (which has a dip in this frequency range), was robbing me of the thickness my voice usually produces. It tended to sound thin. So .... I bought the Bose to make a head to head comparison.
    The Bose is smaller and doesn't offer near the number of options but really matched my frequency range dead on. I sounded full bodied again and my lyrics were louder with more noticeable emotions. I really was impressed. My only issue was giving up all the options I'd come to love on the JBL. I found that by running them together I got the best of both worlds. I just couldn't return either one.
    I now run an Electro-Voice RE20 mic into a Radial JS3 mic splitter using 2 isolated outputs to send the signal to both. The Bose delivers my voice at its best while the JBL gives me all the effects and options I could ever want.

2. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Bose S-1 Pro preferred, also use Bose L-1 Compact. If it’s just me I use no mixer.
    I also use 1 or 2 Kustom PA-50, with or without a powered Kustom Sub. Depends on the space.
    I can use a small Yamaha mixer or a Bose T-1. The T-1 has an advantage of effects and memory settings.

3. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

I love my Katana on the acoustic setting. It's got almost unlimited tonal versatility but the 12" guitar speaker just doesn't do it justice so I run it through a Kustom PA 50.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I use my Fishman Loudbox Performer.
    It’s perfect my my solo/duo gigs.
    It’s 180W RMS, so it can be loud and clear.
    It has two channels that accommodate either two XLR or two 1/4 inch input jacks.
    It has good sounding digital effects, an attenuator for the hi-frequency horn, and an auxiliary 1/4 inch input.
    I’ve used it, with no issues for many years, 10-ish if memory serves.
    So far, so good!

5. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

I'm all about the overkill.
    Two of the QSC K10.2s that I use for monitors in my big rig do just fine for smaller gigs.

6. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

#1 I'd have the Bose towers.
    But I bought the little Alto Troupers and they have been great. Need a small mixer though although you can plug right in.
    I don't "studio" though with a PA.
    I've had Eon's. Vastly overrated if you ask me.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SKUZQXI/?tag=tdpri-20

7. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

VoiceLive 3 for guitar and vocal effects, harmonies, looping, etc. Into an old but solid Prime PM50. Never played anywhere that I needed anything louder that didn't have a house/ event PA.

8. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I'm a minimalist ( with a bad back!)
    Plus I do small cafe gigs - just dont need much.
    A Fishman Loudbox Mini is literally the solo PA I've always wanted!

- completely independent Mic and Instrument channels ( including the Reverb).
    - easy to use controls
    - plenty of power, great sound
    - Line OUT if you need
    -18 lbs.
    loudboxminiamplifier1_large-768x768.jpg
    LOVE IT!

brookdalebill and Marc Morfei like this.
  9. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

I use a Behringer x-air 12 mixer and a Spacestation. If a bassist is joining me I add a sub. Very compact, mix from the iPad I also use for chord charts.

10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I have a little Kustom Profile One, but I don't think they're made anymore. I've been tempted to look at a Bose system (I used to have two Bose 802 speakers, used with a Carvin 400 watt mixer) But right now can't justify the cost.

11. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

I recently bought and really like the Bose S1.

12. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have equipped the venue I work at with QSC K-series. I use them for mains in medium size rooms, and as monitors for bands & worship teams. I have even used 4 of them as delay fill in a 10k sq. ft. room. I believe that short of the Bose system, they are the best sounding powered speaker on the market.

13. arlum

arlum Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Yes. If I'd been forced to choose between the JBL Professional EON 1 or the Bose S1 Pro I would have definitely kept the Bose S1. It just delivers my vocals perfectly. If I had a much higher voice I might have stayed with the JBL. Used together they just fill in any gaps one or the other might have.

14. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

For small stuff I just use my Blackstar Sonnet 60 acoustic amp. It sounds amazing, and is such a simple setup.

If I need more power, I have a Yamaha MG12XU mixer and a pair of JBL EON610 speakers. That rig will do pretty much anything. Anywhere I play that requires more power or spread than that, the sound is provided by the venue.

I don’t use hardly any effects, on my voice or my guitar. Just a skitch of hall reverb is all that is needed or wanted by me. Preferred mic is the EV ND76. I used an ND767A for probably fifteen years, but it finally took a dump.

15. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I've had good luck with HK Elements towers. Pretty powerful and easy to transport, though not quite enough bass in those 10" subs for a band if you want more than vocals going through it.

Served me well when I was doing loud solo pub gigs and travelling on public transport. I had the sub on a hand cart, with the speaker column, mic stand and cables in a bag on top. The guitar went onto my back and I was golden.

In retrospect, I might have gone for a simpler system. Modern full range speakers are very powerful these days, and two good 12" active speakers would be more powerful and more flexible. For small gigs, a single speaker, and for bigger gigs both speakers (plus a sub for even bigger gigs).

16. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

EQ anyone?

Jakedog likes this.
  17. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I find it can be nice, but not necessary. I do just fine with the simple eq on my amp or mixer channels. It stays very nearly flat. In some rooms I might just barely bump the treble or the bass up or down. But just barely.

That’s for vocals. My guitar channel is almost always totally flat these days since I got my Cole Clark. That pickup system is ridiculously good. It’s got an under saddle element tailored to the bass frequencies, a face sensor tailored to the mids, and a mic for top end. They’re all adjustable/blendable, and it has b/m/t sliders. It needs pretty much zero outboard help to sound incredible. I have used the “phase” switch on my Sonnet amp to cancel feedback a couple times in some really troublesome spaces, but it worked like a charm so no additional solution has been necessary.

18. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

For my acoustic duo I use a Fender Passport 500PRo. Amazing how it sounds, never reached the end of it. We plug tho acoustics, two vocal mics, a mic for a foot tambourine and plays music too

[​IMG]

When finishing the gig, we close it and you can move it with only one hand

[​IMG]

19. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I had one of those, too.
    Great stuff!

20. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

For my duo band is amazing. We play small bars and terraces. We go in a small car and everything fits. When arriving to the venue, one guitar on one hand, the Passsport on another. My band mate a guitar on one hand and a bag with cables, micstands and stuff on the other hand..

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.